How best to use this height sensor

More
26 Aug 2020 11:26 #179512 by mariusl
Hi,
I am fitting this type of sensor to my torch.

The question I have is, should I use this as an ohmic type sensor or must I use it on the float switch input?

The three sensors are connected in parallel and will pick up metal on any side of the torch.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2020 11:37 #179514 by phillc54
I think you may have a problem at this stage as I don't think the offsets for either will work as they are only in one direction.
It may be a case of see how it goes and if it is not correct then we will need to change the offsets to suit. At least it will be easy to test with the Probe Test feature.

More
26 Aug 2020 11:44 #179516 by mariusl
Hi Phill,
I am not sure what the offsets do other than just tell the software how far to retract after the switch has made. Please help me understand how PlasmaC does it

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
26 Aug 2020 11:50 #179518 by phillc54
The offset is the distance from the top of the material to the tip of the torch when the sensor is activated. So for a float switch it would equal the distance the float travelled to operate the switch and for ohmic it is usually zero. The ohmic offset was to allow for an separate probe that extended just below the torch tip.
What you want would be doable, just a bit of programming time and test time. It would probably be best to do it with ohmic so you then have the option of float switch as backup.

More
26 Aug 2020 11:55 #179521 by mariusl
Ok that makes sense. This sensor effectively senses at a couple mm below the torch and is setup with a gauge plate. So I thought that it should function the same as an ohmic sensor. Especially with what you explained above.
The sense distance is 8mm and we mount it so that the torch does not touch the plate at a known offset.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
26 Aug 2020 11:57 #179522 by phillc54
From memory there is only 1mm of offset for ohmic but we could easily increase that if necessary.

More
26 Aug 2020 11:59 #179523 by mariusl
Might have to be a parameter as one could use a sensor with different sens length. The mounting could also be slightly different for various torches.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
26 Aug 2020 12:01 #179525 by phillc54
It is set with a spinbutton on the GUI.

More
26 Aug 2020 12:05 #179527 by mariusl
Does that mean it is a variable or something in the python code that will change?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
26 Aug 2020 12:10 #179530 by phillc54
Well my memory is terrible, I just checked and it is 25mm, that should be plenty for you.
It is user settable in the Config Panel.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds