Probe Test And Setting Float Travel

More
30 Aug 2020 19:13 #180099 by AgentWD40
I was trying to dial in my float travel per the procedure outlined in the user guide and noticed that now matter what I changed the float travel or pierce height values to in the run/config tabs that it didn't make any difference, the z always went to the same height from the work during the paused period. Am I missing something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2020 00:25 #180121 by phillc54
Normally you would not adjust Pierce Height, you would only adjust Float Travel until the height measured at the pause was equal to Pierce Height. This is assuming you are using the float input and not the ohmic input. In most cases Ohmic Offset would be zero.

More
31 Aug 2020 00:29 #180122 by AgentWD40
Either way I was playing with both variables and neither seemed to change the height at the pause.

More
31 Aug 2020 00:40 #180123 by phillc54
Strange, it definitely works here.

Glade panels can be a bit odd, if you are typing in a value then you will need to press return or a up/down arrow for it to take.

Open Halshow and look for the signal plasmac:float-switch-travel it should connect plasmac_config.float-switch-travel-f to plasmac.float-switch-travel

Can you start LinuxCNC from a terminal and see if there are any error messages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

More
31 Aug 2020 10:47 #180145 by tommylight

Strange, it definitely works here.

+2 :)

More
31 Aug 2020 14:51 #180172 by AgentWD40
Thanks fellas. After watching the halshow I realized that changes in the GUI don't take effect unless the save button is clicked.

Given my little goof it occurs to me that it may be a good idea to have some kind of visual cue or message box to warn the user of unsaved changes.

More
15 Aug 2021 03:07 #217786 by fernandosf

Normally you would not adjust Pierce Height, you would only adjust Float Travel until the height measured at the pause was equal to Pierce Height. This is assuming you are using the float input and not the ohmic input. In most cases Ohmic Offset would be zero.

This explains a lot in case of beginners (like me), I think it should be in the (new) QTPlasmaC Manual (at Initial Setup). Thanks.

More
15 Aug 2021 03:18 #217787 by phillc54

More
15 Aug 2021 14:05 #217812 by fernandosf
Sorry about that.
Reading old version doc, too much coffee, sleep deprivation or a combination of those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
01 Jan 2022 18:36 #230465 by AgentWD40
I'm redesigned my torch mount right now in CAD and I'm trying to account for the overrun calculation per the docs.

Just out of curiosity what do most people have or aim for for a float travel distance?

My previous setup worked out to about ~0.2". Was that a lot?

This is just a general question, I know everyone's constraints are different.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds