Is this QTPlasmac Expected behaviour - Cycle Start and Jog disabled.

More
28 May 2021 23:35 - 29 May 2021 00:12 #210569 by phillc54

That is not a big deal at all, the big deal is an issue dragged from PlasmaC that occurs only occasionally and at random and figuring it out will not be easy, so since we are here :
-Normal cutting 3mm plate,
-everything works,
-after several successful cuts there happens to be one cut that will start OK and proceed with the THC active (LED) but Z axis DRO will remain at 3mm (cut height)
-- the Z axis is moving down but the DRO remains at 3mm
-- the THC voltage keeps dropping down and that is OK considering the above,
-- the down LED will be active and pushing the torch down dragging through material till the float switch triggers and the cutting stops,
-Resuming cutting works perfectly with THC active and working properly
This happens at random, today after 9 successful cuts and sometimes it does not happen for days, same thing was happening on PlasmaC with Axis GUI on two machines, and again this is on two machines, one of them is not the same, so total 3 machines and over 4 months period.
Short of setting up a rig to test this, i was not able to find anything else, so the only thing to go by is the Z axis moving down but showing 3mm on the DRO.
Phill is going to boil me ... :)

Hay Tom, just flick me a Halscope plot of every pin if/when it happens again. :laugh: :laugh:

Man that is a weird one, those intermittent sort of things are hard to track down. :(

Edit:
Does it start moving down at the same time that the ACTIVE LED lights or some time later?
Do you recall what the voltage was when the torch was on the material surface?
Last edit: 29 May 2021 00:12 by phillc54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2021 23:54 #210571 by phillc54

Did not have that behaviour yet, but i did have one where e-stop was red and the machine was homing as usual.
Had to do F1 again for it to go yellow.

The easiest solution to that is to not have a GUI estop. Hardware estops make the most sense to me.

If I could have worked out how, I would have. I'll have another look.
I have not even tried to cut something yet. I cut 3 sheets before I changed it over just in case!

On my table I use ESTOP_TYPE = 1 which is an indicator only. This is all I have in my hal file.
#  ---estop signals---
net estop-out     <=  iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext     =>  iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in
net estop-ext     <=  hm2_7i96.0.gpio.009.in
I don't actually use the estop-out signal for anything.

More
29 May 2021 03:24 #210582 by rodw

On my table I use ESTOP_TYPE = 1 which is an indicator only. This is all I have in my hal file.
#  ---estop signals---
net estop-out     <=  iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext     =>  iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in
net estop-ext     <=  hm2_7i96.0.gpio.009.in
I don't actually use the estop-out signal for anything.

Does QTplasmac connect the signal estop-out to something?
Maybe I was using a different signal name.

Its still haunting me. I mounted the new PC to the back of my monitor and I could not turn the machine on once I powered it up (until I found the wire I had dislodged on one estop button)

I will have a look later today if I go back to work...

The disabling cycle start and jog buttons is more of a concern. I rarely use the screen to jog

More
29 May 2021 03:39 #210583 by phillc54

The disabling cycle start and jog buttons is more of a concern. I rarely use the screen to jog

Oh, so are you referring to external hardware buttons?

More
29 May 2021 03:57 #210584 by rodw

Oh, so are you referring to external hardware buttons?

No not at all. But I do use a MPG to jog. But its locked out (eg. the circuit is disconnected) until you press a safety button on the pendant so its not related to what I observed.

I am referring to the QTplasmac on screen elements.

From what Snowgoer said, it sounded like it was an issue earlier so perhaps there is a regression. I have not used the machine yet in anger, just what I observed cutting the plasmac spanner with torch disabled.

More
29 May 2021 03:59 #210585 by phillc54

From what Snowgoer said, it sounded like it was an issue earlier so perhaps there is a regression.

It was never an issue, he was referring to the work we did to disable widgets when they were invalid.

More
29 May 2021 05:56 #210589 by tommylight
Not sure about the Active LED, the voltage dropped to 80V and the plasma started grouling a lot, that why i turned to look what is going on, yeaterday is the first time i was near it when that happened, otherwise i would just see the float switch triggered warning for no reason and continue cutting.
Float switch triggering on machines with 20CM of Z axis movement and at least 5cm of it below slats is always strange.
As for plots, that i will try to do, given how lucky i am it will never happen ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
29 May 2021 06:01 #210590 by phillc54

Not sure about the Active LED, the voltage dropped to 80V and the plasma started grouling a lot, that why i turned to look what is going on, yeaterday is the first time i was near it when that happened, otherwise i would just see the float switch triggered warning for no reason and continue cutting.
Float switch triggering on machines with 20CM of Z axis movement and at least 5cm of it below slats is always strange.
As for plots, that i will try to do, given how lucky i am it will never happen ! :)

I "think" this one is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

More
29 May 2021 06:22 #210591 by tommylight
I agree.
The trouble with it is that the nozzle gets ruined when that happens, so a quick change should be done before proceeding.
Thinking of how to go abut testing and plotting this ...

More
29 May 2021 06:29 #210592 by phillc54

I agree.
The trouble with it is that the nozzle gets ruined when that happens, so a quick change should be done before proceeding.
Thinking of how to go abut testing and plotting this ...

Another issue is that some of the data I would like to see is internal variables rather than pins, I could temporarily convert them to pins.

Does the voltage get that low during normal cuts? If not maybe I could also add a pin to set a voltage threshold and the machine paused if the arc voltage gets below that threshold while the THC is active.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds