QTPlasmaC, first cut ever. What to do after "initial setup"?

More
23 Aug 2021 19:21 - 23 Aug 2021 19:28 #218539 by fernandosf
This would be a easy one for you guys, I just lost 2 days trying to make it work.

I have set Z axis like this:

I have this PARAMETERS tab:

Initial setup (probe-test) runs ok. My torch sits 3 mm above material.
Documentation says: "CONGRATULATIONS! you should now have a working QtPlasmaC Configuration."

At this point, I loaded GCODE file metric_wrench.ngc and set G54 for X and Y, screen looks like this:

When I CICLE_START, I got the error:  "pierce height would exceed Z axis maximum safe height, condition found while float switch probing"
I have made a video:

I am sure, as a newbie, I am missing something.  Could not find directions (looking at docs)  of the correct workflow after initial setup.

I don't understand how pierce height (which is 3 mm) would  exceed safe height which is 20mm , if both are measured from the same level.

Safe height can be set from 1 to 74, and I tried lots of values without success.

Thanks,

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Aug 2021 19:28 by fernandosf. Reason: wrong attachments pointers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2021 20:42 - 23 Aug 2021 20:44 #218547 by billykid
I see Z-74 the zero must be made at the lowest point that the torch reaches by pressing the zero next to the dro z .. at least I did so after having troubled a few hours.
since it uses g53 you have to do home for that too
Last edit: 23 Aug 2021 20:44 by billykid.

More
23 Aug 2021 21:12 - 23 Aug 2021 21:13 #218550 by fernandosf
I have followed "initial setup" instructions where it tells to take Z to minimum (-74) and touch-off.

You can see in the pic that my home position is 69 at G54 ( which is -5 in G53) so that when torch is at G54 Z0 it is at G53 Z-74
Last edit: 23 Aug 2021 21:13 by fernandosf. Reason: misspelling

More
23 Aug 2021 21:23 #218552 by billykid
I can't explain myself well with the translator but the negative number is not good. I have always used g54, but since the example file uses g53 repeat touch off as for g 54

More
23 Aug 2021 22:13 #218555 by tommylight
Z in most cases must be negative, so that is OK.
The error is pointing the exact issue, the safe height is set to low at 22mm in the parameters tab.
With the 8mm difference and over run and float travel you have near to that value, so just change that to something bigger.

More
24 Aug 2021 00:27 #218564 by fernandosf

the safe height is set to low at 22mm in the parameters tab.
With the 8mm difference and over run and float travel you have near to that value, so just change that to something bigger.

I have set safe height bigger, like 50 or 74, and even lower like 5 or 1. Could no get rid of the error.
That's why I have posted here, I thought I was doing something wrong. 

What just crossed my mind is that I should try to tighten all the values: less switch travel, less min-Z, less overrun and mess again with safe height.

Any thoughts ?

More
24 Aug 2021 00:37 #218565 by fernandosf
I don't know if this is "by design", but the exact moment the float-switch trips the DRO shows Z like it was in G53 (-67).

This may be nothing, but it might be worth mention it.

0:09 in the video:

Attachments:

More
24 Aug 2021 00:56 #218569 by phillc54
Can you you make a backup of your config from the SETTINGS tab and post the file.

More
24 Aug 2021 10:29 #218610 by fernandosf
Of course, Phill, thanks for looking at it.

File Attachment:

File Name: fer-qtplas...0.tar.gz
File Size:14 KB
Attachments:

More
24 Aug 2021 14:31 #218623 by snowgoer540
Have you verified the SCALE for JOINT_3 (Z axis)?

In other words, if you jog to the top of travel, zero the DRO for the Z axis, open MDI, type g0z-25, and ensure the Z axis actually moved 25mm down?

I wonder if your JOINT_3 (Z axis) SCALE value is incorrect and the torch isn't moving as far as it should.

Also, don't get hung up on the G53/G54 coordinates for the Z axis.  QtPlasmaC controls the Z axis in terms of relative position while a program is running.  In fact, once it touches off and finds the top of the material, the Z axis DRO will show in terms of height above the material.  The QtPlasmaC user guide only tells you to zero the DRO at or below the slats so that setting probe height and safe heights makes more sense as they are measured from the bottom up.

The G53 line of code is only added to the gcode files upon loading in order to move the torch to 5mm below the Z axis MAX_LIMIT before executing X/Y motion.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds