QTPlasmaC - Skipping Probing

More
22 Dec 2022 23:03 #260122 by phillc54
Your Probe Height seems very low to me (0.25"). Probe Height is calculated from the Z axis minimum limit. Normally you would set it so it is above the thickest material that you would cut.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...tml#qt_initial-setup

The reason for the double pass is because of a bug that appears in the way you have specified the hole cutting:
1: You are specifying #<holes>=2 which adds an overcut at the end yet you specify the distance as zero (#<overcut>=0).
2: We need to catch the above error and pop up an error message.

You usually don't need leadouts with plasma.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sushi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2022 23:09 #260123 by snowgoer540
Thanks for peeking Phill.  

I was going to comment on your heights as well.  You have a lot of "bottom limit reached while THC moving down", and "pierce height would exceed Z axis maximum limit condition found while moving to probe height during ohmic probing" messages in your logs.  

More
22 Dec 2022 23:15 #260125 by Sushi
Replied by Sushi on topic QTPlasmaC - Skipping Probing
I was wondering about that. It never gave me that before when it would skip probing, I would hit pause and then hit start and I was back in business. Then all of a sudden it started giving me this error.

Are both of these conditions caused by my probe height being too low?

At the end of the day this doesn't correct the issue of my machine moving right past probing, unless the probe height affects this.

I'll make sure to turn off leadouts. I'm going to have to look for the number of holes and overcut, not sure where to find these settings. I used to fix CNC machines for about a decade and there's a settings page and a parameters page. Easy to find, this setup is not very user friendly.

More
22 Dec 2022 23:29 #260126 by phillc54

At the end of the day this doesn't correct the issue of my machine moving right past probing

What do you mean by "moving right past probing", what is the machine actually doing?
Any videos?

unless the probe height affects this.

If Probe Height is too low it will probe at Setup Speed, in your case 48ipm.

I'll make sure to turn off leadouts. I'm going to have to look for the number of holes and overcut, not sure where to find these settings.

They are from your post processor.

More
22 Dec 2022 23:43 #260127 by Sushi
The machine will probe before the first cut as it should. Then once the cut finishes it will move the Z up to the safe height and rapid to the next XY position. Then instead of probing this location it turns on the torch at the safe hight and starts the XY movement.

I used to be able to catch it by pausing it and then unpausing it, then it would probe and continue on. Now when I pause it and unpause it I get those alarms you guys mentioned above.

More
23 Dec 2022 00:43 #260129 by phillc54
Do you notice if the Ohmic Sensor indicator is lit when this happens?

What type of ohmic sensor are you using?

More
23 Dec 2022 17:09 #260158 by Sushi
I've never watched my control, I'm hovering over the pause button and am watching the machine, squinting trying not to look directly at the arc.

My ohmic sensor is a custom creation. I don't see how this design could affect the machine to make it completely disregard the probing cycle.

It wired from the tip to the probing input and from the table to the other side of the probing input. But there are two dual pole dual throw relays that both have to change states, disconnecting the probe and connecting the fire the torch signal. Works slick and saved me money. It redundant so if one of the relays doesn't change states (keeping the probe connected) it will not fire the plasma cutter.

More
23 Dec 2022 20:11 #260164 by snowgoer540

I've never watched my control, I'm hovering over the pause button and am watching the machine, squinting trying not to look directly at the arc.

My ohmic sensor is a custom creation. I don't see how this design could affect the machine to make it completely disregard the probing cycle.

What I suspect is happening is that it is probing, but your ohmic is tripping inadvertantly for some reason on the second probe and that is what is causing it to appear as if it's skipped the probe cycle, when in fact it's just "sensing" near the top of travel.

You could install simplescreenrecorder and record the screen while you cut when this happens, which you could play back and may give you an indication. Or upload it to youtube for us to watch, or both.

And/or you could watch the ohmic input with halscope during the cut, which would allow you to see definitively if it's tripping during the second M3 command.

It wired from the tip to the probing input and from the table to the other side of the probing input. But there are two dual pole dual throw relays that both have to change states, disconnecting the probe and connecting the fire the torch signal. Works slick and saved me money.

I/we'd have to see this schematic drawn out.

Plasma is a fickle beast. There can be a lot of unexpected gotchas to navigate.

More
23 Dec 2022 21:43 #260174 by Sushi
The Ohmic probe is not tripping. Anything I try to run that has multiple cut operations is un-runnable. The machine is saying "nope I don't need to probe" and then moving on. Machine computer is air gapped and is not able to connect to the internet so I can't download any screen recorders.

I tried adjusting the probe height, went into the post processor and made those adjustments for the multiple hole cut, still does it. No changes to anything.

More
23 Dec 2022 21:53 #260178 by Sushi
The machine won't even test the ohmic probing now. Does nothing, as recent as 2 hours ago I could press the button and it would go through a probing cycle.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds