Random Questions on setup

More
30 May 2024 23:57 #301904 by tommylight

Wrong ini settings for Z axis, home switch must be up, HOME must be 0, HOME_OFFSET must be something small so it backs of off the switch, 3-5mm is ok, max limit to 0 and min limit to -100 or -150 or whatever the Z axis can do.

In inches
POS = 0
NEG = -7
Final Pos = -.125 <<<<<< notice - in front of value
Home switch location = 0
The rest seems OK, so give it a try and report back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2024 00:21 #301905 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Random Questions on setup
HOME_OFFSET is the location of the home switch:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-...ng.html#_home_offset

HOME is where the Z axis moves to at HOME_FINAL_VEL to complete homing, it is not a requirement that this is zero.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-homing.html#_home

As an example my little metric table has a total Z axis motion of 75mm. The home switch is at the very top of Z motion. At the completion of homing my Z axis moves down 5mm from the top. My settings are:
MIN_LIMIT   = 0
MAX_LIMIT   = 75
HOME_OFFSET = 75
HOME        = 70
Note the MIN_LIMIT needs to be below the top of the slats. Mine is about 3mm below the slats.
Note also that I don't use the "preferred" method of having Z zero at the top, if I did then I would have something like:
MIN_LIMIT   = -75
MAX_LIMIT   = 0
HOME_OFFSET = 0
HOME        = -5

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 May 2024 00:42 #301907 by tommylight

HOME_OFFSET is the location of the home switch:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-...ng.html#_home_offset

HOME is where the Z axis moves to at HOME_FINAL_VEL to complete homing, it is not a requirement that this is zero.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-homing.html#_home

So this :
Final Pos = -.125 <<<<<< notice - in front of value
Home switch location = 0
should probably be reversed, is that correct?
I will edit the above post after confirmation, thank you.

More
31 May 2024 00:53 #301908 by phillc54
It looks to me that he would like Z axis top to be positive and that his limit switch is at the top so I think something like:
MIN_LIMIT   = 0.00
MAX_LIMIT   = 7.00
HOME_OFFSET = 7.00
HOME        = 6.875
The MIN and MAX should be set the same in the AXIS and JOINT sections.

A "conventional" setup would more be like:
MIN_LIMIT   = -7.00
MAX_LIMIT   = 0.00
HOME_OFFSET = 0.00
HOME        = -0.125
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 May 2024 15:53 #301963 by FlaredFins
So this is what I wound up going with
MIN_LIMIT = -7.00
MAX_LIMIT = 0.00
HOME_OFFSET = -2.00
HOME = 0.00

I tried the other configurations and changing home latch direction, some would cause Z to just jam up into the ballnut or put the axis in a bad position for travel. the problem im seeing is im telling it to go to -2.00 but when it parks the DRO reads 2.993 if i change the Home offset to -4.00 it goes to -4.993 so not sure what that is all about.

As it is Homing Z seems sufficient now. but with odd results

OH... while performing all this one of the runs caused the Z to dig into the plate and trip my probe switch. this caused an error and was unable to bypass or override the switch to get the Z axis into a better place. Am I overlooking something? error stated Jogging was not available and since i hadn't homed it all i could MDI my way out of it.

More
01 Jun 2024 00:05 - 01 Jun 2024 00:07 #302019 by phillc54
HOME_OFFSET is the location of the home switch.
Where is your z home switch located in relation to the top of Z travel?

Override Limits on the SETTINGS tab should allow you to jog after hitting a limit.

Last edit: 01 Jun 2024 00:07 by phillc54.

More
03 Jun 2024 14:27 - 03 Jun 2024 14:29 #302246 by FlaredFins
Switch is at the top most portion of Z axis.

Ill look on the settings tab again today. still trying to work my way around QTPlasmac.

Also is there a way to change the Velocity position and Size on the screen?
Oh and switch the Buttons on the Jog like switch + and - 
Last edit: 03 Jun 2024 14:29 by FlaredFins.

More
05 Jun 2024 23:32 - 05 Jun 2024 23:39 #302423 by snowgoer540

Also is there a way to change the Velocity position and Size on the screen?

Position - not easily (it's an open source project so there's usually always a way)
Size - yes. Follow these directions: linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...#_add_a_custom_style

inside of qtplasmac_custom.qss, add these lines:

#velocity_label {
font: 14pt
}

#velocity_show {
font: 14pt
}

That will change the size of the VEL: label and the indicator to 14pt font, in this case.

Oh and switch the Buttons on the Jog like switch + and - 

Again, no, not easily. but why would you want to? The X and Y indicators in the preview point toward X and Y positive. The GUI buttons follow as pictured below:

To do anything else would be ... wrong.

Maybe you are expecting the table to behave differently given the orientation of your control console. In that case, .ini file changes are in order....
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2024 23:39 by snowgoer540. Reason: this editor is the biggest most colossal piece of shit ever

More
06 Jun 2024 00:00 #302426 by phillc54

Switch is at the top most portion of Z axis.

If that is the case then your ini settings should be one of  these , during homing Z moves to the top (switch) then to complete homing it moves 0.125" down which is the home position. If these don't work then something else is wrong.
I assume when you press the Z+ jog button then the Z axis moves upwards.
Does you home switch stay activated if the Z axis is on or past the home switch?

More
07 Jun 2024 03:51 - 07 Jun 2024 04:05 #302507 by caretech
Replied by caretech on topic Random Questions on setup

I noticed one of the plates showing in red that it had been cut already and then it went back to white like it hadn't been cut yet.

Which version of LinuxCNC and QtPlasmaC are you running? The plot only saves so many historic moves in the buffer, and rolls off older ones as it goes. This makes parts done some time ago, go back to white as if they have not yet been cut.

After some searching, I found a thread I remembered discussing the MAX_POINTS param -- forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp/41566-seems-lik...ighlighting?start=20

From the above conversation, it sounds like you should have ten-fold more points saved in your backplot if you're running master (2.10). Anyone with more knowledge on this is welcome to correct me.

Another relevant thread -- forum.linuxcnc.org/21-axis/33219-backplo...olour-during-millimg

Last edit: 07 Jun 2024 04:05 by caretech. Reason: Found forum threads I was looking for

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds