What are the chances of getting this setup working?

More
18 Aug 2023 22:45 #278424 by my1987toyota
Blazini36- I had never tried the Openpnp to Linuxcnc thing my self and it is great you were able to make the headway you did.
                I am more on the mechanical spectrum of things . Programing doesn't come easy to me so everything is usually a
                fight to get anywhere and sometimes I succeed. That said I wish you the best of luck which ever route you go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2023 07:55 #278445 by blazini36
Well the OpenPnP to LinuxCNC thing wasn't really possible as it is. linuxcncrsh has always been there but it's like unexplored territory. iforce2d did alot more work than I would have thought necessary to customize a linuxcncrsh-like server to add stuff that is typically found in 3d printers since that's the way OpenPnP is setup.

I try to stay away from programming myself. Takes me a long time to get anywhere since I really don't know what I'm doing otherwise something like a unified start script would probably be simple.

I know you were doing something with a PnP, how's that going?
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
19 Aug 2023 20:22 #278493 by my1987toyota
  well unfortunately I haven't had the time to mess with it. The machine is operational but I have had to
divert all my time to other things at work . I will get back to it when work eases up.

More
24 Oct 2023 19:25 #283750 by bkt

Out of curiosity I had a go at it and got it mostly working with 2.9 on a recent Bookworm installation.

Here is a sim config:

File Attachment:

File Name: axis_camview.tar
File Size:200 KB

I was struggling to get the usb camera stream working and ended up installing a bunch of stuff that turned out to be irrelevant but you will probably need this:

sudo apt install qv4l2

To try it out:
1. open a terminal and go to
/home/user/linuxcnc/configs/axis_camview/
2. run the vision app
$ python3 pnp.py

this should open a window and show a live stream of your usb cam.
If you don't then you may have to adjust the video device number in the brackets in line 271 in 'pnp.py'
 self.cam = cv.VideoCapture(0)

once that works, open another terminal and run
$ linuxcnc
then choose the 'axis_camview' config.

Some notes:
I don't know much about opencv and even less about gtk so pnp.py will likely need some more work. Sometimes the stream breaks when loading pnp.py or when starting the linuxcnc config. Also exiting the vision app seems a bit iffy, I usually need to hit CTRL+c a few times and then ENTER a few times.

Setting 'vision'debug' to 0 in halshow will hide the edge finding debug window.
To test I used a SD-card and good lighting with a ring light. The vision app seems to be looking for a certain format of rectangle.

I use a usb web cam with 720x480 resolution. Depending on your camera you may need to adjust 'pnp.py' in the following lines:
300    self.cam.set(cv.CAP_PROP_FRAME_WIDTH, 720)
301    self.cam.set(cv.CAP_PROP_FRAME_HEIGHT, 480)

418    frame = cv.warpPerspective(frame, M, (720, 480))

pnp.py is made to handle two cameras (bottom, top). Since I only have the one camera I had to disable the second camera by commenting line 383 and adding line 384

383        #if p.cam == 0:
384        if True:

Good luck.

see now these interesting session ... about streaming interrupt for sure have 2 different causes: 1- usb .... 2-camera buffer .... in my experience sometime needs to create a buffer of image to use when stream go down ..... but better was use qv4l2 aka videoforlinux, for discover driveable pin of camera .... on videoforlinux you can try play with various options for check best setup of your camera .... normally auto exposure, auto white balance and other "auto" parameter when present  they have a big impact on the fluidity of acquisition.... after that you have a realtime system and you use a lot of resources to acquire data at high speed with a non-priority IRQ.... you are better off using a camera with low resolution... on openCV side, after discover the right parameter better is to fix it on code using proper 
cap->set(CV_CAP_PROP_AUTO_EXPOSURE, xx); command .... (xx value is show on videoforlinux option, choose the right for you and insert in your py or .cc capturing file)
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds