Definitive guide to installing MX Linux, Probe Basic and LinuxCNC 2.9

More
25 Oct 2021 11:38 #224248 by spi
What kinds of results your latency test gives?

~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/latency-test

My newest box is not giving the error anymore after configuring linuxcnc with the --with-realtime=uspace option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2021 12:55 #224256 by spumco
I don't remember the exact number, but latency was 'acceptable' for a Mesa card setup if my interpretation of the various latency discussions is accurate.

I'd like to try the lcnc configuration you've mentioned.  Do I just start LCNC with "--with-realtime=uspace", or is there something else I have to install/modify?

More
25 Oct 2021 13:02 #224258 by spi
Please check my updated guide but basically you need to do this:

cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/src
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-realtime=uspace
make
sudo make setuid
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
25 Oct 2021 13:05 #224259 by spumco
Thanks for the clarification.

Would you suggest uninstalling LCNC, qtpyvcp, and PB before re-installing LCNC with the new --with-realtime=uspace option?

Or should I just re-run everything (or some part) from your guide and what needs to be overwritten will take care of itself?

More
25 Oct 2021 15:06 - 25 Oct 2021 15:07 #224273 by PCW

Unexpected realtime delay on task 0 with period 100000

The servo thread rate should be 1 KHz normally ( period 1000000 ns).
It looks like you have it set for 10 KHz which will not work with most hardware.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 15:07 by PCW.

More
25 Oct 2021 15:11 - 25 Oct 2021 15:14 #224274 by spumco

Unexpected realtime delay on task 0 with period 100000

The servo thread rate should be 1 KHz normally ( period 1000000 ns).
It looks like you have it set for 10 KHz which will not work with most hardware.

Where is that set or adjusted?  Keep in mind that this installation is unmodified from the OP's first post - I haven't started setting up my actual machine other than ensuring that mesaflash can talk to my 7i76e.

EDIT - in the ini file, under EMCMOT, right?  If so then it looks like the Probe Basic sim is defaulting to 10KHz and this should clear up once I copy over my working config.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 15:14 by spumco.

More
25 Oct 2021 16:05 - 25 Oct 2021 16:07 #224277 by Roguish
yes, in EMCMOT.
from the manual: SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000

the sample configs, particularly the new ones like QtPyVCP, could be suspect. MOST important is to RTFM.

stepconf and pncconf are intended to be helpers, not end-alls.
recommend going through the config files line by line with reference to the docs, to learn and understand what's going on.....

good luck.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 16:07 by Roguish.

More
26 Oct 2021 03:37 #224320 by spumco
Following the updated installation guide did the trick.
No errors, no problems, no headaches.

Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: spi

More
27 Oct 2021 03:34 #224464 by zhult
Hello all. im a new user to linux and i was following this guide to get Probe basic to work for my Mill im building. I got to the end of the guide and have some errors. Any help is very welcome. Thanks

Traceback (most recent call last):File "/home/zach/.local/bin/probe_basic", line 33, in <module>sys.exit(load_entry_point('probe-basic', 'gui_scripts', 'probe_basic')())File "/home/zach/probe_basic/probe_basic/__init__.py", line 20, in mainqtpyvcp.run_vcp(opts, VCP_CONFIG_FILE)File "/home/zach/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/__init__.py", line 27, in run_vcprun(*args, **kwargs)File "/home/zach/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/__init__.py", line 129, in runlaunch_application(opts, config)File "/home/zach/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/launcher.py", line 78, in launch_applicationloadWindows(config['windows'])File "/home/zach/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/launcher.py", line 228, in loadWindowswindow = _initialize_object_from_dict(window_dict)File "/home/zach/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/launcher.py", line 203, in _initialize_object_from_dictobj = _get_object_by_referance(provider)File "/home/zach/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/launcher.py", line 191, in _get_object_by_referancereturn getattr(importlib.import_module(modname), attrname)File "/usr/lib/python3.9/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_modulereturn _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1030, in _gcd_importFile "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_loadFile "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlockedFile "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 680, in _load_unlockedFile "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 790, in exec_moduleFile "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 228, in _call_with_frames_removedFile "/home/zach/probe_basic/probe_basic/probe_basic.py", line 13, in <module>from . import probe_basic_rcImportError: cannot import name 'probe_basic_rc' from 'probe_basic' (/home/zach/probe_basic/probe_basic/__init__.py) 

More
27 Oct 2021 14:14 #224520 by Flyer007
Has anyone tried this with the Wildfire release? I am having some issues.

Also there are some steps in directions that seem off.

at cp ~/qtpyvcp/scripts/.xsessionrc ~/  I have to use full path for it to work

Then
mkdir ~/linuxcnc
mkdir ~/linuxcnc/configs
Error out as the directories are already there

Lastly;
git clone git://github.com/kcjengr/qtpyvcp.conversational-gcode.git
git checkout python3
you need a cd qtpyvcp.conversational-gcode before checkout

When I finish, I can start linuxcnc from terminal  I don't see anything in the MX start menus for linuxcnc only QT designer  
I was able to get PB sim to load once.  I don't see any PB_Lathe in the linuxcnc selection list

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds