Definitive guide to installing MX Linux, Probe Basic and LinuxCNC 2.9

More
29 Oct 2021 17:43 #224665 by spi
I would first go to conversational folder, uninstall it using python3 -m pip uninstall qtpyvcp.conversational-gcode, make sure the python3 branch is checked out doing git branch and then reinstall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zhult

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2021 09:52 #224709 by zhult
Quick update for everyone. I did get it to work. i started over. i think i didnt understand how to fully navigate the file structure in terminal. Thank you for your help

More
01 Nov 2021 06:37 #224845 by spi
According to this post it should be possible to just ask probe basic to not check for qtpyvcp version so my version number hack should not be needed anymore.

I'll modify my guide in case that turns out to be true.

More
01 Nov 2021 20:05 #224910 by davidimurray
Just followed the process for a clean install and got the following message

$ qtpyvcp -v
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/dave/.local/bin/qtpyvcp", line 33, in <module>
    sys.exit(load_entry_point('qtpyvcp', 'console_scripts', 'qtpyvcp')())
  File "/home/dave/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/app/__init__.py", line 72, in main
    from qtpyvcp.utilities.opt_parser import parse_opts
  File "/home/dave/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/utilities/opt_parser.py", line 64, in <module>
    from linuxcnc import ini
ImportError: cannot import name 'ini' from 'linuxcnc' (unknown location)

Any ideas?

More
01 Nov 2021 20:48 #224913 by spumco
I got the same message. Pasting the source command he put at the end of the instructions fixed it:

If you get unable to import ini from linuxcnc
    source ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment

I still get the same error every time I run editvcp from terminal, but pasting the same thing clear it up.  I'll have to work out why it isn't persistent, but I've got about four thousand other things to sort out before I circle back to that issue.

More
10 Jan 2022 03:26 #231279 by cmw
Help!  I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what.  I've gone thru the complete process of installing MX 21, linuxcnc 2.9 and probe basic three times now using the guide.

Probe basic opens fine and communicates with my mesa 7i95 card.  I can jog all the axis and home the mill but that's it.  None of the other subroutines, like loading a tool, work?

Thanks in advance for any ideas of where I went wrong.

More
10 Jan 2022 04:28 #231280 by spumco
If PB installed and can communicate with your LCNC & Mesa, you might want to start a new thread specific to your issue and not a continuation of the installation thread.

Having said that, exactly what isn't working?  When you say "loading a tool", do you mean an ATC?

More
10 Jan 2022 05:48 #231287 by cmw
Yeah, you might be right about starting a new thread.  I just think it might be something I'm doing wrong in the installation.

By loading a tool, I mean on the tools page, type in a tool number and hit load spindle and have it load the tool length.  Or on the main page type in a tool number and have the machine move to my tool change position.  Nothing happens when I try to do that.  I think it's not finding the subroutines for some reason.

I had a debian 9, linuxcnc 2.8 and probe basic setup working great except for the jogging speed issue on my 4th axis.  So I thought I would upgrade to get that fixed.  But, I can't get probe basic working.  I'm very new at linux and git.

More
10 Jan 2022 13:10 #231303 by Donb9261
Probe Basic installs with QtPyVCP 0.3.9. The latest version of QtPyVCP is master. Probe Basic is not compatible with that release and breaks the LCNC runtime with ini and other file issues. Most likely this is a file path issue. But I have not found the file path that is causing it. I am certain they are working it out.

Python 3.9 introduces quite a few new problems. Most are not backwards compatible. Sadly.

More
11 Jan 2022 06:19 #231401 by cmw
Follow up....I got it working!  I reused my old config files and discovered an error in the path to the probe basic subroutines in my .ini file.  

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds