qtpyvcp - widget rules editor missing

More
28 Oct 2022 18:33 #255323 by spumco
I un-gave up.

OMG. I've been using the wrong Debian ISO file.  It's finally reading the USB...we'll see how this goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2022 20:53 #255335 by rodw

I un-gave up.

OMG. I've been using the wrong Debian ISO file.  It's finally reading the USB...we'll see how this goes.

Yes, Joco assumes a Debian Bullseye build. A lot of the Python 3 stuff requires Debian 5.10 and above.

More
28 Oct 2022 21:21 #255339 by spumco

I un-gave up.

Yes, Joco assumes a Debian Bullseye build. A lot of the Python 3 stuff requires Debian 5.10 and above.

LOL... it was worse than that.  I was using the i386 iso.

So it's working.  Deb12, lcnc, qtpyvcp are all installed.  Many dependencies not met, had to go back and forth enabling/disabling the bookworm & bullseye repositories.

Couldn't use Deb11 as it hosed up my display to 800x600.

I can now see widget rules for the first time. QtDesigner won't open except through terminal, but this is a significant improvement.

More
28 Oct 2022 21:40 #255341 by tommylight

I give up.

I read this while i was having a coffee with some friends, so i could not reply.
Now it is to late, but still:
No you do not! :)
Giving up never fixes anything!

More
29 Oct 2022 16:33 #255394 by Lcvette
I have not had that issue with the display, are you sure you are using the correct ISO now? installing it correctly with install settings? bios settings? I have done this probably 20-30 times on various PC's and have not had these issues you keep finding. you are either exponentially better than me at bug finding or have had some rotten luck... /o\

More
30 Oct 2022 02:54 #255419 by spumco
I'm using the correct ISO now.  It's an intel x86 platform, why would I have chosen an ISO with 'amd' in the name?

The RT kernel used with Deb11 didn't have video drivers for the chipset, so I had to switch to Deb12 non-free.  The OS installation is fine, have a newer RT kernel that has video drivers.

The two PC's I'm using are an Odroid H2+ (machine) and Mele Quieter3q (testing).  Both have had issues causing me no end of headaches.  The Odroid's ethernet port drivers weren't included in Deb10 when I first got started last year so I was forced to use Mint or MX on that one. And the Quieter3 appears to be new enough that I need Deb12 (or Mint21).

Every time I tried to fix something, I made it worse.  Being impatient and totally linux-dumb, I probably caused more problems than the hardware.

I'm just used to Windows.  Dependencies, terminal gibberish, and the whole software installation process are all foreign to me.  Based on my experiences with Linux, Windows just works.  With Win10-LTSC there's no issues, no spam, no non-security updates, no bugs.  Windows hasn't become a hobby.

I know, I know... once it's set up and functioning, Linux is stable and Windows aint...

I did set up another PC with MX21 to run Kipper directly to my printer - that was super-easy.  But the process of setting up Linux, LCNC, and the other related software has been a nightmare.

More
30 Oct 2022 03:00 #255420 by spumco

I give up.
I read this while i was having a coffee with some friends, so i could not reply.
Now it is to late, but still:
No you do not! :)
Giving up never fixes anything!

You have no idea how close I've been in the past year to sending Centroid or someone else a wad of cash.  I've got a UCCNC board & license in a drawer - I can end the Linux pain when it gets too bad.

But all the other CNC options have issues, too.  Every time I'm thinking F-this, I'll get an Acorn... I realize the only way to spend my way out of this Linux nightmare is with REAL money.  And I don't have $25k for a turn-key Siemens or $8k for a GSK controller.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds