User Install for Probe Basic Py3 (For Machine Control)

More
27 Mar 2023 18:02 #267618 by Lcvette

I did the installation yesterday according to the instructions. Since I use a Debian with the German language settings a minor error occurred. In my Linux the directory "home/user/Pictures" does not exist. Therefore I got an error at the end of the installation. This was no problem for me, I just created the directory and installed it again. Then everything worked as desired. I just wanted to mention it here.
Thanks for the detailed help here and also to all who contribute to this forum.

can you tell me what version of the .deb you were installing?  i just went back and looked and the latest does not use the pictures folder but the icons directory:

```
# Create the icons directory if it doesn't exist
sudo -u ${SUDO_USER:-$USER} mkdir -p "${TARGET_HOME}.local/usr/share/icons"

# Copy the probe_basic icons directory to the target directory
sudo -u ${SUDO_USER:-$USER} cp -r /usr/share/icons/probe_basic_icon.png "${TARGET_HOME}.local/usr/share/icons/"
sudo -u ${SUDO_USER:-$USER} cp -r /usr/share/icons/probe_basic_icon_lathe.png "${TARGET_HOME}.local/usr/share/icons/"

Thanks,

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2023 16:20 - 07 Apr 2023 16:21 #268526 by buzzFab
@rodw
Is your linked guide still the best way of doing the whole ethercat / probe basic install? I see that now instead of using Lcvettes qtpyvcp-bookworm-installer on git hub they are recommending using python3-probe-basic_0.5.3_all .deb
Last edit: 07 Apr 2023 16:21 by buzzFab.

More
07 Apr 2023 21:24 #268553 by jordanm
Thanks for all this info. I was able to install Debian 12 and probe basic in a short amount of time because of all your work!

I did run into one issue when trying to install Linuxcnc where it was prompting me to insert the install media and it wouldn't complete the installation.
I was able to fix the issue by commenting out the top 2 lines of: /etc/apt/sources.list
Which were:     
    deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux bookworm-DI-alpha2 _Bookworm_ - Official Alpha amd64 DVD Binary-1 
    with firmware 20230218-23:57]/ bookworm main non-free-firmware

With those commented out and the file saved, I retried the linuxcnc install command and everything worked past that point.

Thanks again for all the help!

More
07 Apr 2023 22:04 #268556 by rodw
Yes if this is what you are refferring to docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing

If you have problems with it looking on a CD, you may have used the wrong ISO. the netinstall I referr to in the link above does not have this problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: buzzFab

More
08 Apr 2023 20:15 #268626 by jordanm
I guess I didn't see your google doc when I ran my install. I used the google doc from Lcvette, but what you have in your instructions makes sense as well.

Thanks again.

More
16 Apr 2023 00:39 #269173 by scotth
I have the sim running on 2.9.0 and python 3.11 on Mint 21.1
Sim looks like everything is working. No luck so far with a working hal or ini file for my 7i76 to test system. Anyone have these to look at, so I can edit my working axis hal and ini files.

More
16 Apr 2023 00:51 #269174 by Lcvette
There's a guide below this thread in the sticky section for converting a py3 config from working axis config.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotth

More
16 Apr 2023 04:24 #269185 by scotth
I have it running now. I'll see what I have broken soon. Don't see how I would have ever got it running without your help on this. Thank you.

More
16 Apr 2023 04:29 #269187 by Lcvette
Happy to be of help! If you hit a snag just post up your configs and a detailed explanation of the issue.

Chris

More
29 Apr 2023 11:31 #270196 by tommylight
There are 4 pinned topic regarding installation of Probe Basic ( please change the name, pleaseeeeee ), so what should we point the new users towards?

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds