Camera configuration

More
04 Feb 2024 13:17 #292374 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Camera configuration
Did you try with camnum 1 ?
Or 2?
Linux enumerates stuff from 0 and cameras are always set as video0 and video1 for first camera or video2 and video3 for the second camera.
ls /dev/v4l/*
Should show working cameras
ls /dev/video*
Should show the enumeration.
Not sure if this helps as i do not know if any of this is used by QtVCP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2024 13:49 #292384 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Camera configuration
try this in a terminal:
qtvcp -d -o camnumber=14 cam_align

(Purposely setting a wrong camera number)
Will display lots of info, but the last few lines should show working/nonworking camera numbers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Feb 2024 19:59 #292434 by Drillbit
Replied by Drillbit on topic Camera configuration
Smart people.

Looks like all the cameras are listed twice.

The ls /dev/video* showed.
0 1 6 7

So knowing the config was right, I tried them all and 6 it is.

Without this forum I'd be have given up years ago on LinuxCNC.

Just want to say all those of us who read everything on these forums appreciate your time and effort - even if we get lost with the most basics like 'the config folder', it seems obvious but an actual folder called 'config' exist so guess were my file was for a while :-).

More
04 Feb 2024 20:10 - 04 Feb 2024 20:12 #292436 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Camera configuration

... even if we get lost with the most basics like 'the config folder', it seems obvious but an actual folder called 'config' exist so guess were my file was for a while :-).

LOL
Now that you pointed that out, i will try to remember and be a bit more careful when mentioning the "config" folder! :)
Edit:
Would "files inside your config folder located inside configs folder" be better?
Hmmm seems even more convoluted...
Last edit: 04 Feb 2024 20:12 by tommylight. Reason: more info

More
05 Feb 2024 13:29 #292511 by Drillbit
Replied by Drillbit on topic Camera configuration
I think, "/cncuser/linuxcnc/configs/mymill" would be fine.

Also the use of quotes, helps. For example I was not sure if the filename had leading dot or if it was just the end of sentence.

In the end its fine, but all the documentation assume these things are known to folks. So you read it and you go, yep I want that tab on. And then, no idea how to turn it on.

Another one of these, My camera is not centred on the lens / sensor.

If I spin the camera in the spindle it turns a beautiful arc just above the centre line.

I wonder how many cheap USBs have something similar.

So I changed the file. "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qtvcp/widgets/camview_widget.py". look for the line "# draw red circles" and two lines below change the centre point from w//2 to what I needed.

The cheap camera is also flexible in its housing. I shoved it full of hot glue and that helped somewhat.

I can get the webcam focused about 1mm above the object which is great, However the focusing ring is also not centred so that was also glued.

I can now push the camera and still get about 0.3mm movement, so if I dont push it its kinda ok, But the cable can pull on the camera.

I hope these learnings help folks.

My question now is does anyone have a webcam that is more solid and centred. Or do I need to remove the hot glue and make a metal housing?

More
30 Mar 2024 07:20 #297196 by Calysto
Replied by Calysto on topic Camera configuration
I've used a Logitech C270 and removed the clip and refocused it (see youtube). Made a 3D-printed holder attached to the bold hole that opens the spindle holder. I used hot glue to fix it, but I would be nicer to have printed holes to put screws in to tighten the cam. I can make a picture if you want.

Next thing, because of this nice compact construction my cam-output is flipt, on the X and Y axis. Can I just put a minus sign before the scale options to correct this? Of is there another way?

More
30 Mar 2024 15:44 #297215 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Camera configuration
unfortunately no. but I'll add it into master branch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calysto

More
03 Apr 2024 14:11 #297506 by wusel0464
Replied by wusel0464 on topic Camera configuration
Hello,

my Andostar squints like crazy.
But I can live with it, I put a flat mirror on the machine bed for alignment. The principle of angle of incidence equals angle of reflection makes it easy to find the right position.
I fixed everything on my camera that could be fixed, because the alignment fluctuates when I adjust the focus.
Cable was also specified accordingly.

Greetings Frank.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds