big 5axis mazak horizontal cnc mill

More
21 Jul 2024 06:08 #305747 by Becksvill
hey guys just thought i would try give back to the linuxcnc community a bit and hopefully document my machine shop and machines that run linuxcnc

i have 4 working machines currently running linuxcnc and am retrofitting my latest cnc mill currently

this is a mazak fh6800 horizontal cnc mill with a pallet changer and a 5th axis on top of the built in 4th axis

pretty cool machine and weighs 22 tons.

i am using dimitry's sscnet card to control the servos and just a few mesa cards for all the rest of the IO

i will add a bunch of photos in the next post

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2024 06:11 #305748 by Becksvill
my journey with linuxcnc started here with the first cnc mill i retrofitted

forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/39021...d-thread-nz?start=50

this machine has been going well and doing lots of work since then

More
21 Jul 2024 07:00 - 21 Jul 2024 07:02 #305752 by Becksvill
just testing if the forum will let me load stuff as i have been having issues
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jul 2024 07:02 by Becksvill. Reason: adding photos

More
21 Jul 2024 07:41 - 21 Jul 2024 08:02 #305755 by Becksvill
    so what i forgot to add in the previous post is that i actually bought 2 of these machines so 44 tons of cnc millsand then scrapped one for the spare parts to keep the better on going in the years to comei have a full set of spare drives and everything which is very nicethis is the 700mm dia 4th axis its awesome.  this is the one i took from the scrapped machineand here is the 10000rpm spindle 37kw and it has a gearing system to give low speed torque must be massive   and now carrying down the page we have more up to date photos of the current progress   and lastly here we have a fun 4axis part programmed in bobcam and run on linuxcnc this is machining on the machine i retrofitted years ago with the chinese servo drivessee herehttps://forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/39021-vertical-machining-centre-retrofit-with-chinese-servo-drives-build-thread-nz?start=0it works great now  
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jul 2024 08:02 by Becksvill.

More
21 Jul 2024 08:06 #305758 by Becksvill
just adding more photos really have trouble adding photos loland i resized them to half a mb to   
Attachments:

More
21 Jul 2024 08:24 #305759 by Becksvill

more photos having several issues resizing 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Jul 2024 10:45 #306065 by Becksvill
Hey guys

just a quick update here.

we worked out the original diagrams of the machine and connected up a lot of  the hydraulics to allow basic operation of the machine

first we connected up the hydraulic pump and checked it was rotating the correct direction.  for those that don't know if a three phase motor is going backwards just swap any 2 of the 3 wires and it will reverse

so we swapped the 2 wires on the main line in and then repowered up the machine

halcmd -fk is your friend here

just type it into the terminal  and then you get auto complete of all the loaded pins on the machine and signals etc.  It is a seriously awesome tool

just to be crystal clear.  "quote marks" mean that this is a Hal command

also i am guessing at the actual pin names just to be clear they are probably not correct..

so the command "setp" turns a pin on or off
 setp hm2-7i92.0.7i77.output.00 1  (this will turn the first output on the mesa 7i77 card which will turn a relay on which will then turn on my hydraulic part.

we did this for all the hydraulics and got to a stage where we could remove the tool in spindle
spindle is hydraulic which is nice and easy

next plan of attack was to get the pallet changer going

current status is all hydraulics are working.  just need to get the motor working to rotate the pallets and swap them and it should be working

I will code a few things in classic ladder just to make it automatic.  and then i need to go through and setup timouts just in case there are other issues and i am not watching.

and thats it for now

hopefully next week i get more time to work on it and get some videos going etc

cheers 

andrew

More
26 Jul 2024 11:10 #306067 by Aciera

i am using dimitry's sscnet card to control the servos and just a few mesa cards for all the rest of the IO

That is interesting, if I recall correctly the SSCNET card needs a 222us cycle time. I've always wondered if Mesa hardware could be run in parallel since the IO options are quite limited otherwise.
What interface are you using for the Mesa cards, PCI or Ethernet?

More
26 Jul 2024 12:52 #306084 by dm17ry
for MDS-A/B/C and SSCNET I,II servo thread runs at 888us
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds