big 5axis mazak horizontal cnc mill

More
28 Jul 2024 05:16 #306217 by Becksvill
Aciera

This machine Comes with 5axis. Which I can swap out with the pallet changer to standard 4axis

I'm very interested in your advanced kinematics for 5axis

As this is the end goal.

Though there is a lot you can do with 4axis still.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2024 06:54 #306219 by Aciera

This machine Comes with 5axis. Which I can swap out with the pallet changer to standard 4axis

So is it a table-table BC rotary like this one?

I'm very interested in your advanced kinematics for 5axis

If you are referring to my TiltedWorkPlane implementation, that is currently for toolside (head) rotation only. Workside rotation is easier to work with because the machine Z axis remains oriented along the tool axis. But if you find it useful for your workside rotation kinematic then I might be motivated to expand my implementation.

More
28 Jul 2024 09:00 #306220 by Becksvill
Yes just like the YouTube video.

Not sure if I need the tilted workpiece plane

You tell me...

It definitely looks really cool though

More
28 Jul 2024 13:03 #306232 by Aciera

Not sure if I need the tilted workpiece plane

You tell me...

Basically G68.x is similar to G52 in the sense that you create a new WCS from the currently active offset. G68.x has the added benefit that lets the operator define how the XY-plane of the new WCS is oriented in space.

I'm sure a sales rep would tell you that you definitely need it! :)

But since I really have no clue about 5axis machining you may want to let other people explain:

Here is a demo for tilted work plane on a Fanuc controller for a 5axis table-table rotation kinematic:

This guy rambles on a bit:

also here:
www.linkedin.com/pulse/fanuc-g682-5-axis...planes-tim-markoski/

More
28 Jul 2024 18:01 #306251 by andypugh
I think that tilted workplanes are, at best, a workaround for not being able to define arcs in arbitrary space.
My preferred solution is to allow arcs in arbitrary space, but as far as I know nobody is working on this at the moment.

There was some work done a long time ago, but it has been abandoned (and I didn't like the approach taken anyway)

I drawback with both approaches is that most CAM systems simply don't use them. They jist make little straigh-line moves.

More
28 Jul 2024 18:31 #306259 by rodw

I might go to pci mesa though 5i25T as that way I can keep the Ethernet for internet

Grabbing another network card locally might be easier

More
28 Jul 2024 19:38 - 28 Jul 2024 20:48 #306272 by Aciera

I think that tilted workplanes are, at best, a workaround for not being able to define arcs in arbitrary space.

You misunderstand the application of 'Tilted Work Plane':
5xis CAM output is indeed short straight lines for simultaneous operations (TCP). The 'Tilted Work Plane' functionality however is used in indexed operations (eg 3+2) only. On a table-table rotary machine an indexed operation is done using trivial kinematics. Hence there is no need or even purpose to define arcs in arbitrary space on such a machine because the tool is always perpendicular to the machine XY-plane.
TWP simply offers the operator a way of creating a WCS by translating AND rotating the currently active work offset system using G68.x codes and automatically orienting the work/tool using G53.x codes.

I'm not sure what makes you think CAM systems do not support G68.x and affiliated TWP codes. These have been supported for years.
Here is a video about Fusion360 (there are lots more like this for other CAMs):
Last edit: 28 Jul 2024 20:48 by Aciera.

More
29 Jul 2024 01:49 #306298 by stustev
Using a Fanuc control with G68 and G69 enabled you can rotate the working plane in the control. This allow you to align the tool axis (electronically) to the tool axis then program the part using print dimensions shown at the angle the view is drawn. You would program a rotation of one of the three rotary axes (depending on the machine rotary axis motion) using a line of code G68 X Y Z A B C (according to the programming manual.
Then, you would program a rotation of the second rotary axis using a second line of G68 code.
You must determine which axis to rotate first to have the work piece Z axis properly aligned with the tool axis.
Heh, now you must align your brain with the machine to be sure you move (program) the axis motion in the proper direction. A pretty neat trick.

G68 X Y Z A B C
G68 X Y Z A B C

then cancel the whole mess with a G69

In 15 years of running the Viper 5 meter bridge mill with a 15mb control I used it a total of one time. The machine has a 5 meter X, 2.5 meter Y, a 1 meter Z with BC head with +-120 degree B and infinite C axes motion. As the owner of the shop I tried the G68, G69 programming as a test. I determined it worked just fine except the confusion principle. It was much less confusing to program the needed motion using a CAD/CAM system and not worry about the operator losing orientation. G68/G69 was never used during production.

More
29 Jul 2024 01:53 #306300 by stustev
It allows you to align the electronic Z axis to the tool axis.

More
29 Jul 2024 05:58 - 29 Jul 2024 07:30 #306306 by Aciera
Thanks for your comments.

Please allow me to clarify a few things:

Then, you would program a rotation of the second rotary axis using a second line of G68 code.

G68.x commands using euler angles will define both rotary axes in a single line because the new work plane can be completely defined by X,Y,Z offsets and the three euler angles I,J,K. If you want to define the work plane using 3 points or 2 vectors then you need more than one line of G68.2 Px Qx commands to enter all the parameters.
G68.x will define the offset and orientation of the tool plane but cause no machine motion.
G53.x will then align the tool to the tool plane (ie this will cause machine motion) AND switch the offsets to the new WCS. This is the reason why G53.x always follows immediately after a G68.x (which is what the guy in the first video I posted was wondering about). The G53.x codes can only be used once the work plane has been completely defined.

G68 X Y Z A B C

Note, G68.x codes do not use A,B or C words.

It was much less confusing to program the needed motion using a CAD/CAM system and not worry about the operator losing orientation.

TWP can be used in CAM/PP gcode generation as well as in manual programming on the controller.

[edit]
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to sell the 'TWP' feature here. I've had use for it on kinematics with tool side rotation and I decided to donate my work for people interested in it. I've built machines where this is used regularly for manual programming on the controller. Expanding it to kinematics with work side rotation would really only mean more donated work for me. All I'm trying to do here is explain what it actually does because there clearly is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about it even among people who do use it. It's a tool in the toolbox whether you find it useful or not is up to you.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2024 07:30 by Aciera.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds