Tools and tool table

More
14 Sep 2012 18:22 #24273 by LAIR82
Tools and tool table was created by LAIR82
We are to the point of cutting some chips on our Cincinnati milacron retrofit and we are having some issues with tool related issues.

First when we do an MDI command of T1 M6 it will not acknowledge and say there is a tool loaded at the the bottom of the AXIS display. Next, in the touch off pop-up window it does not say T Tool Table, it has the P1 G54 options in the coordinate system drop down, I would think it should default to the lathe setting. Lastly, I cannot get the actual tool table to show the FA, BA, Q, and Dia columns, before I reconfigured it it had XYZABCUVW and comments, and I can go back to it but I cannot get it do what it is supposed to do.

Thanks Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2012 18:38 - 14 Sep 2012 18:40 #24276 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tools and tool table
T1 M6 will not load the tool offsets, G43 loads the offsets if that is what you mean. T1 M6 should show the tool however unless your tool table file is corrupt perhaps.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/gcode.html#...a_id_sec_g43_g43_1_a

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/m-code.html...sec_m6_tool_change_a

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/other-code...._sec_t_select_tool_a

The tool table editor is configurable. There is no Q column that I know of.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/tooledit.html

John
Last edit: 14 Sep 2012 18:40 by BigJohnT.

More
14 Sep 2012 18:46 #24277 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Re:Tools and tool table
I was able to get the tool table window configured to my liking, but something is not right, when I perform a T1 M6, shouldn't it say something other than " No Tool" at the bottom of my display?

More
14 Sep 2012 18:49 #24278 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Tools and tool table
LAIR82 wrote:

First when we do an MDI command of T1 M6 it will not acknowledge and say there is a tool loaded at the the bottom of the AXIS display.

Do you have a tool changer? Is the tool-changed pin being set?

Next, in the touch off pop-up window it does not say T Tool Table, it has the P1 G54 options in the coordinate system drop down, I would think it should default to the lathe setting.

Lathe mode has as many coordinate systems as any other mode. You won't see the "T" without a tool loaded though.

Lastly, I cannot get the actual tool table to show the FA, BA, Q, and Dia columns, before I reconfigured it it had XYZABCUVW and comments, and I can go back to it but I cannot get it do what it is supposed to do.

That's extremely strange. You can see "Comment" though? It isn't just off the edge of the screen?

More
14 Sep 2012 20:42 #24279 by LAIR82
Yes we do have a tool changer, and I guess it would probably help if it was operational, I forced the tool-prepared-confirmed and tool-changed-confirmed true in the hal config window, low and behold T1 popped up and now I have T Tool Table in my coordinates drop down box. After I tried some different verbage in my INI file I finally got my tool table set up the way I like. Looks good now, everything is working good. Now I just need to get my tool turret logic wrote and I will by flyin!!!!

Thanks for the help

Rick

More
24 Oct 2012 00:30 #25727 by LAIR82
Hey Guys,

I know I am probably going out on a limb with this one, but in the pyvcp panel on the right of my axis display, is it feasible to make Tool Table tab and when selected make it display my tool table to make edits without having to go to file-edit tool table. If this is not feasible can I make it automatically come up like classic ladder will, when it is setup that way in my hal file.

Reason I am asking this is because I have noticed lately that if I do not open my tool table from axis as soon as I start linux then minimize it till I actually need it, it will not open when I try to after I start to perform any operations in linux.

Unless maybe I have some other major underlying issues somewhere.

Thanks

Rick

More
24 Oct 2012 11:35 #25738 by BigJohnT
I assume you mean the menu item edit tool table is greyed out while running that is intentional I'm sure the developers assumed you should not edit the tool table while running.

Chris is working on a tool table widget for GladeVCP.

Are you adding tools to the tool table while you run?

John

More
24 Oct 2012 12:14 #25744 by LAIR82
Correct, the Edit Tool Table... in the File drop down window, but it's not greyed out because it will be idle.

No, we are not trying to load tools while running. What is happening is we start linux, home the machine, and then go about running programs. If I do not open the tool table before we start running programs, and minimize it to the bottom tray for later, I can't get it to open to make edits to the table unless I shut linux down completely and restart it.\

It's like I only have one shot to open it, as soon as I start linux.

Rick

More
24 Oct 2012 12:36 #25746 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Tools and tool table
LAIR82 wrote:

That's not normal. I have several times found half a dozen forgotten instances of tooledit hiding behind Axis.

More
24 Oct 2012 12:50 #25749 by BigJohnT
LAIR82 wrote:

No, we are not trying to load tools while running. What is happening is we start linux, home the machine, and then go about running programs. If I do not open the tool table before we start running programs, and minimize it to the bottom tray for later, I can't get it to open to make edits to the table unless I shut linux down completely and restart it.

Rick

This is not normal, you should be able to open the tool editor any time your not running a program.

What version are you running?

Can you describe the exact steps to reproduce this?

John

Time to create page: 1.018 seconds