Hardinge HXL Tool Turret

More
28 May 2013 08:49 #34809 by microsprintbuilder
I was hoping to have the tool number and info to show up in the window at the bottom of the screen just like the demo program that Big John T gave me. In the demo program your call out the tool change and then you select the sensor that corisponds to the tool called out and the tool change done comand is given and the window in the bottom of the screen shows the tool # and info. I think you still have to call the g43 to get it active but my program doen't show the tool unless you call the t# and m06 after the tool change is done then ouy can call the G43 and doen't resume running the progran either. Maybe the two issues are related. accoring to the hal it does show the tool change done. Maybe I'm wanting something I can't have. I've been running and programming CNC's for about 25 years (mori seiki, Haas, Cincinatti, mazac & milltrontics) and so I'm looking to make this control run the same.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2013 18:07 #34817 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Hardinge HXL Tool Turret
When you first start up LinuxCNC it does not know what tool is loaded physically. So you will have to issue a Tn M6 G43 at startup. On my CHNC I have pyvcp buttons for each tool and just press the one I want to setup with and if it is the current tool on the turret nothing happens physically but LinuxCNC is updated with the current tool.

JT

More
28 May 2013 18:24 #34818 by microsprintbuilder
Do you have to push the button twice to get the information to show up at the bottom of the screen like have to? then I have to issue the g43 to get the offset applied. What I'm struggling with the most is that in your demo as soon as I push the prox button the tool window at the bottom updates to the tool called and my program doesn't. I was hoping there was something missing or that I did wrong and my program would do the same.

More
28 May 2013 18:27 #34819 by BigJohnT
No, I just press the button once and the status display is updated immediately if that is the current tool. The button just calls a MDI command in the ini file.

JT

More
28 May 2013 18:36 #34820 by microsprintbuilder
Any idea why I would have to do it twice? It like it's not updating. When I get home tonight I'm going to print out your files I have and compare them to mine again.

More
28 May 2013 18:58 #34822 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hardinge HXL Tool Turret

When you first start up LinuxCNC it does not know what tool is loaded physically. So you will have to issue a Tn M6 G43 at startup.

There is almost certainly a way of doing this automatically.

Arguably it should be built-in. The way that tools are handled in LinuxCNC is open to some improvement, and we are working on it.

More
28 May 2013 20:04 - 28 May 2013 20:06 #34830 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Hardinge HXL Tool Turret

BigJohnT wrote:
When you first start up LinuxCNC it does not know what tool is loaded physically. So you will have to issue a Tn M6 G43 at startup.

Andy Pugh wrote:
There is almost certainly a way of doing this automatically.

What I have done with 3 different toolchanger components that start in an unknown state, is to change iocontrol.

I added a pin to receive the current tool number and a bit flag to trigger an update.
This triggers iocontrol to issue a tool change instruction for the given toolnumber.
Because the tool change component knows that tool is already current, it just returns a toolchanged signal and the toolnumber is automatically updated.

I don't know anything about classic ladder, these were realtime components.
If classic ladder can set HAL pins, the same could be used.

regards
Last edit: 28 May 2013 20:06 by ArcEye.

More
28 May 2013 20:16 - 28 May 2013 20:16 #34833 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hardinge HXL Tool Turret

What I have done with 3 different toolchanger components that start in an unknown state, is to change iocontrol.

Which is a pretty strong argument for why toolchanger behaviour does not belong hardcoded into iocontrol (and that is on the list of things to change)
Last edit: 28 May 2013 20:16 by andypugh.

More
28 May 2013 20:52 #34841 by BigJohnT

Any idea why I would have to do it twice? It like it's not updating. When I get home tonight I'm going to print out your files I have and compare them to mine again.

My WAG is your logic is not correct in the ladder. Watch iocontrol.0.tool-changed in a watch window as you change tools. Axis should update as soon as it goes true. Actually put all the iocontrol tool bits in the watch window as you change a tool.

JT

More
29 May 2013 07:15 #34887 by microsprintbuilder
I just did a tool change and had all the pins you said shown. I see the tool prep number and the turret signals change as the turret rotates. when it get's to the tool number requested it puts out a tool change done signal but the tool number is still blank.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds