Beginner kinemetrics setup for linear delta?

More
12 Mar 2016 01:26 - 12 Mar 2016 01:27 #71464 by andypugh

But I have found some files in the past and was unable to determine what to do with the files, some help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I am afraid we got a bit carried away in minutiae.

Lineardeltakins is already part of a special version of LinuxCNC called Joints_Axes12. It is an experimental development version that sorts out some very troublesome assumptions made early on in LinuxCNC development. There is an assumption in "normal" LinuxCNC that you have one motor/actuator for each valid axis word in the G-code. For any machine with non-cartesian kinematics that is a bad assumption.

I would very much advise that for your machine you should consider using that version.

Doing so is slightly harder than running the "normal" LinuxCNC. But I think it is worth it for your machine.

There are two ways to do it, either install git, download LinuxCNC and build from source (not _that_ hard, and we can help) which gives you a version of the source code so that you can make changes and improvements.

Or you can install a pre-compiled package. There are .deb files here:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/precise/scratch-rt/binary-i386/

You would want the latest joints_axes12......deb file, then install it on top of a working LinuxCNC installation with sudo dpkg -i deb-file-name.deb
Note that that link is for Debian Ubuntu Precise. If you navigate back up the tree you will find scratch directories containing JA debs for other Linux distributions.

(Warning, you have fallen in with bad company, bot Dewey and I are Joint_Axes evangelists and want to see the improvements in the normal installation)

If you install that version then you will find a complete working demonstration linear delta configuration that you can customise to suit your machine. And the machine will work rather better in a JA version.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 01:27 by andypugh. Reason: Got my Linux distributions confused

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2016 02:05 #71472 by andyhol
Which way would you recommend? I am willing to take more effort if it results better.

More
12 Mar 2016 10:10 - 12 Mar 2016 10:11 #71492 by andypugh
Having just experimented, the easiest way to get Joints-Axes is to edit the repository name in a standard installation.
I just tried it, and it appears to work:

I changed to scratch-rt as described here: buildbot.linuxcnc.org
But rather than edit the sources file, I did it in the GUI.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 10:11 by andypugh.

More
12 Mar 2016 10:32 - 12 Mar 2016 10:33 #71493 by andypugh
And after a few minutes, a demo linear delta machine config, with a Vismach simulation:

This is the "ldelta_demo" where the various HAL pins are connected to on-screen GUI elements.
There is another config where the connections are left for connecting to actual hardware instead.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 10:33 by andypugh.

More
12 Mar 2016 21:41 #71507 by andyhol
okay, let me see what I can do, it has been a while with Linux. I will keep you up to date and probably ask more questions

Thanks

More
12 Mar 2016 22:57 #71523 by andyhol
It looks like I am loaded with lucid, do I need to upgrade or just load the lucid scratch-rt files

More
12 Mar 2016 23:37 #71530 by andypugh

It looks like I am loaded with lucid, do I need to upgrade or just load the lucid scratch-rt files

To keep things simple, use the lucid scratch-rt version. One thing at a time is probably wise , rather than new OS and new LinuxCNC version at the same time.

More
12 Mar 2016 23:58 #71531 by andyhol
where will these new configs be located?

More
13 Mar 2016 00:21 #71532 by dgarrett

It looks like I am loaded with lucid

Support has been dropped for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) on the LinuxCNC master branch and all of its derivative branches. The Joints_axes12 branch is based on the master development branch so debs are not available. Ref:
article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/15246

When you do achieve a working system with a joints_axes branch, the easies way to find the configs is with the configuration selector gui -- walk the tree to:
Sample Configurations/sim/axis/ldelta_demo
or 
 Sample Configurations/sim/axis/ldelta

More
13 Mar 2016 00:37 #71533 by andyhol
Then I guess I will download the wheezy iso and load it in, be back when that gets done.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds