Hardinge Super slant 3 axis

More
18 Sep 2018 22:04 #117732 by Deckerjwd
my Hardinge lathe has an ID turret on a second Z axis they call it Z2, trying to add it to my config and it doesn't work. my question is is there a way to do this already or do i need to write my own kins to add this. basically it is a powered tail stock with 8 position tool turret not super important but would be nice for ID work and live centers. the current NC has a second main board slaved to rotary switch that let you run program 1,program 2 or both. The goal would be to add a Z2 or W (maybe) that could be called from a G code line (g01 X0 X1 W2 F10) there would be some cool things you could do with this. (moving ID steady rest? bore and profile thin parts at the same time?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2018 12:14 #117783 by andypugh
It sounds like configuring the second axis as W ought to work and would be conventional.
However LinuxCNC does not support arcs in the UV, WU or VW planes, so it might be more expedient to configure the third axis as Y.

Do you have your main tool turret working? (I rather lose track of threads on here)

More
20 Sep 2018 14:10 - 20 Sep 2018 14:13 #117792 by Deckerjwd
yes and no i had made up some test cables so i could drive around the axis one at a time, while i worked out the Mesa drive boards. well i made up the wrong gender connector for the tools wire harness, so mechanically every thing works but no i have to redo the 7 db-25F and still wire up 6 more db-25 M. the tool turrets are some that i have not done. also the second turret is more like a center line tool, so no arcs, it has 1 DOF, so any x or y would have to be setup in the tool itself. It also has no affect on the Z and needs to be independent of the Z
here is a pic the bottom cylinder is the W.
drive.google.com/file/d/1TwxMq_aRObbPbs0...4MF/view?usp=sharing
Last edit: 20 Sep 2018 14:13 by Deckerjwd.

More
20 Sep 2018 15:39 #117800 by andypugh

also the second turret is more like a center line tool, so no arcs, it has 1 DOF, so any x or y would have to be setup in the tool itself.

In that case setting it up as W would be conventional.

More
25 Sep 2018 21:46 #117972 by Deckerjwd
will this be connected to the Z or will it have its own space. im guessing it wont have its own tool table? im farther with the wiring so hope to test it tonight

More
25 Sep 2018 22:00 #117973 by andypugh
Tools in the other slide can have tool length stored in the W column of the tool table.

I don't know what you mean by "connected to Z". I though this was an independent axis?

More
25 Sep 2018 22:32 #117975 by Deckerjwd
guess what i mean is will it move my tool or will it have its own tool. it is independent of the the other z

More
25 Sep 2018 23:03 #117977 by andypugh
What is "it" in that question?

More
25 Sep 2018 23:17 - 25 Sep 2018 23:19 #117978 by Deckerjwd
Sorry after testing, the W seems to move the tool as an additive to Z, as if Z axis was mounted on W axis that is parallel. Im trying to have a parallel but independent Z and W(or Z2)
Last edit: 25 Sep 2018 23:19 by Deckerjwd.

More
25 Sep 2018 23:23 #117979 by andypugh
Odd. Are you basing that on watching motors move or looking at the preview?

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds