Which mode is best for new setups?

More
01 Mar 2019 01:29 #127379 by hatch789

Which axis is slow? The Z?

Try removing this line from the HAL.
setp pid.z.maxerror .0005

Hi Andy, I removed that line by commenting it out but now when I watch the scope after any kind of move with a little speed on my Z, the f-error just floats like a wave up and down up and down continually, never settling out. It's kind of pretty to watch but not so good for CNC work.

I'm going to try something in there like 0.001 maybe?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2019 02:06 #127383 by Grotius
Hi Christhopper,

Try to google minferror = 0.25
For pid this might solve your problem.

More
01 Mar 2019 03:57 #127387 by Todd Zuercher
The hal pin(s) "joint.N.amp−fault−in" is one of the better options for connecting it.

More
01 Mar 2019 04:29 #127388 by hatch789

The hal pin(s) "joint.N.amp−fault−in" is one of the better options for connecting it.

Thank you Todd, what would I set my Clearpath to report in this case? I was thinking that position might be nice since then even if I move the Z by hand it will know where it's at. Thoughts, suggestions welcome. I'm still learning on this so I appreciate the guidance.

I got my Z working perfectly though I suspect I need to get the slightly larger motor now. This one keeps squawking at me because of torque saturation. I was worried I might end up having to increase the size... well now I know. I guess I should have just gone with that larger one in the first place. -Live and learn. Now I will have another week delay that I caused myself. /sigh

Here are my HAL and INI files if anyone's interested. I have not yet hooked in the HLFB but I will soon!

Also here's a video of my fully working, now 3-axis machine! 3-Axis Video

File Attachment:

File Name: Tree_with_...28-2.ini
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Tree_with_...28-2.hal
File Size:11 KB
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2019 12:57 #127407 by andypugh
I still think that the pid.z.maxerror value is wrong. It limits your PID output (ignoring FF1) to P * 0.0005 = 0.5mm/sec

More
01 Mar 2019 15:25 #127427 by hatch789
Andy I had attached my new hal and ini files in my last message and have (as you suggested) commented out that line. Is there another one I'm missing now? I did try increasing it to 0.001 for a quick test but it wasn't the fix; so I have removed it completely as per your original suggestion. The attached files should reflect that unless I'm missing something else you're referring to in my HAL file?

More
01 Mar 2019 15:27 #127428 by andypugh
I still see
#*******************
#  AXIS Z
#*******************

setp   pid.z.Pgain     [AXIS_2]P
setp   pid.z.Igain     [AXIS_2]I
setp   pid.z.Dgain     [AXIS_2]D
setp   pid.z.bias      [AXIS_2]BIAS
setp   pid.z.FF0       [AXIS_2]FF0
setp   pid.z.FF1       [AXIS_2]FF1
setp   pid.z.FF2       [AXIS_2]FF2
setp   pid.z.deadband  [AXIS_2]DEADBAND
setp   pid.z.maxoutput [AXIS_2]MAX_OUTPUT
setp   pid.z.error-previous-target true
setp   pid.z.maxerror .0005

More
01 Mar 2019 15:31 #127429 by hatch789
crap I forgot to run my fix.

Should be identical but the deriv lines and that maxerror are commented out. Sorry! I have a script I run after I do pncconf.

I was testing backlash settings and just forgot to run my fix.sh script before attaching those files.

File Attachment:

File Name: Tree_with_...3-01.hal
File Size:11 KB
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2019 15:42 #127431 by Todd Zuercher
You've probably reached the point where going back and running PNCconfig is a waist of time. Just directly edit the hal and ini files by hand with a text editor.

The config wizards are great for setting up a rough skeleton of a machine configuration. But after that, hand editing is usually the best way to go for fine tuning it and making more specialized setups.

More
01 Mar 2019 16:21 #127438 by hatch789
Yeah I will as soon as things get beyond what my quick "sed script" can fix. For not it lets me keep things 100% consistent. So I'm still unclear what I'll set in my clearpath motor to output on the HLFB for my input pins into LinuxCNC. It seemed like those pins were just looking for an error indicator but is there a URL someone can point me to for the finer details on this sort of feedback? -I'd like to better understand my options.

Time to create page: 0.333 seconds