Which mode is best for new setups?

More
04 Mar 2019 12:51 #127687 by hatch789
I was able to successfully deploy the joint.N.amp−fault−in command and it does indeed stop LinuxCNC when my new Servo Motor throws an error. But right now as I wait for my new motor to come, my biggest issue is that it's climbing to 100% RMS and just needs a break. To combat this on long slow spirals into material I will PAUSE my running program to let the servo drop RMS down to safer levels and then resume. I have to be super careful not to let it hit 100% otherwise it will trip this new joint.N.amp−fault−in that I've activated. I believe I would be stuck if it hit that, as I would not be able to resume.

Is there a command that I could use which would just PAUSE my system (for now -Until I get my new servo) so that this particular error would just give me the functionality that I need to give my motor a rest until I can resume.

Hopefully it makes sense what I'm asking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2019 12:57 #127688 by andypugh
You could try motion.adaptive-feed. (though that needs a floating point variable)
Comnverting the bit to a number and passing it through a lowpass HAL component might have interesting effects here..

But you probably want halui.program-pause
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/halui.1.html

More
04 Mar 2019 13:13 #127689 by hatch789
OK I will try that. This is what I've done now and it is working perfectly. But at the moment it's more harsh than I want it to be when my RMS hits 100 I just need to let the system PAUSE.

# --- Z_FAULT ---
net Z_Fault <= hm2_7i43.0.gpio.032.in
net Z_Fault => axis.2.amp-fault-in

So I think this is what I would do instead. Can you confirm if this looks right?

# --- Z_FAULT, Pause for RMS drop ---
net Z_Fault <= hm2_7i43.0.gpio.032.in
net Z_Fault => halui.program-pause

More
04 Mar 2019 13:21 #127690 by thadwald
Perhaps you have just set your HLFB on the servo to something that is too sensitive? I’d say that it shouldn’t signal a problem unless the servo actually shuts down.
Now on my servos this would be the “servo on” setting but since I purchased mine they upgraded the controller and the HLFB has more options.

The servos do have a peak amp rating that is substantially higher that the RMS amp rating. Compare the 100% rms amps that you are concerned with to the motor rating. It’s OK to hit those peak amp numbers for short periods and duty cycles.

More
04 Mar 2019 13:46 #127694 by hatch789
Hi Thad, the problem is the motor faults out (STOPS) when it hits 101% RMS. Spoke to the technicians and there's no way around it. This is supposed to protect the motor. It's why I've ordered the 3441 motor instead of my 3432. It'll give me 100 oz-in more of torque and that should be all I need. So right now the HLFB says STOP there's a problem; which I do want it to do. But in this case since I know my current motor is undersized, I just want to give it time to PAUSE. Once RMS is down a bit I'll resume. -Is that making more sense?

More
04 Mar 2019 14:39 #127703 by thadwald
Yes, it looks like you have that possibility covered. I can' help much on the pause issue ...

Perhaps slow down the whole process?

More
04 Mar 2019 15:34 #127708 by hatch789
Slower is worse believe it or not. I was testing with the Teknic technicians on the phone and if it just jog my Z up very slowly that's when RMS rises the fastest ...jogging up my Z quicker is less taxing on the servo. I guess it's like when I was younger and went to the gym. When you do that last rep of preacher curls as SLOWLY as you can. It's definitely the hardest one to do out of the set. LOL

More
04 Mar 2019 17:29 #127712 by thadwald
Did you try to dial back the stiffness? The auto-tune might have messed up due to it being underpowered. Maybe the PID has the motor fighting itself.

More
05 Mar 2019 01:05 #127739 by hatch789
you mean in the clearpath tuning section where you can use the slider from quietness to stiffness? Yes I have it fully left for quietness.

More
05 Mar 2019 02:07 #127745 by Todd Zuercher
Does your machine have a counterbalance on the Z?

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds