Tool setting frustration

More
12 Oct 2019 15:44 #147741 by Scot
So everything on my lathe is nearly complete. The spindle functions, the slide moves. The outputs for coolant and collet work.

But I am having a load of confusion regarding setting my tools.

So far, I've tried to use a Tx M6 G43 command in MDI to call up a tool position to set the tool to the work piece. But there is absolutely no indication that the machine changes to let me know that the tool is selected for setting.

What am I missing here? This is really confusing and for lack of a better term, quite a mystery.

What is the process for setting a tool in AXIS? I simply don't get it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2019 17:03 #147742 by Leon82
Replied by Leon82 on topic Tool setting frustration
The absolute or relative screen should update as soon as the g43 was activated.

I call it absolute, but Linux may call it relative.

I never set a tool in axis but you can edit the tool table.

More
12 Oct 2019 17:12 #147743 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Tool setting frustration
Not to dismiss your reply, but it may have added more confusion.

This is what I've tried.

1. I go into MDI
2. I input Tn M6 G43
3. I see no changes to the screen.

Shouldn't there be an indicator of the TOOL? Down at the bottom of the screen, whether a tool is chosen or not, the center bar still says "No tool" no matter what. That bar should be telling me something, right? To me, this indicates that there is no tool chosen after I've chosen a tool. I would really like to know if there is an indicator of which tool I'm moving to it's position and I just can't seem to find or understand that. So choosing "Touch off" doesn't mean much.

I'm likely missing something simple. But the process isn't obvious.

Thanks though,

Scot

More
12 Oct 2019 18:22 #147747 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Tool setting frustration
Did you edit the tool table to reflect your tools ?

More
12 Oct 2019 18:42 #147749 by Leon82
Replied by Leon82 on topic Tool setting frustration
Does the axis tool change window come up? It's small and you hit it ok to change the tool.

More
12 Oct 2019 19:38 #147750 by Scot
Well, there are already 3 tool positions in the table. Since I didn't plan on using those types or positions, I figured that I would just edit those by setting them when I touched off on the part. But I can't select a damned tool!

No matter what, there is no indication of any tool position. This is the confusion. Shouldn't there be some sort of indicator that the tool I'm calling up in the MDI is the tool I'm going to set when I touch off? If there isn't supposed to be that, then someone who developed this is missing some screws.

Also, there is only one "touch off" button allowable to select in the Manual Control tab. There are two buttons, one that says "Touch off" and the other that says "Tool Touch Off" which is not allowing me to select it.

When I select the "Touch Off" button, there is no indication of a tool of any kind from the drop down menu of Offsets. There is just the G54-G59 offsets to choose from.

In the machine settings drop down menu, I select the "Touch Tool off to Workpiece" selection below the homing section and nothing changes. No selection of touching off the tool to the work piece. No change to the bar at the bottom of the screen that says "No tool". Nothing.

I have to be daft or something. Because this situation completely lacks any intuitiveness. Either that or my configuration is whacky somehow.

I go to the View menu dropdown and select "Show Tool" And nothing changes. I unselect it and nothing changes.

BTW, does this TLO displayed on the screen have anything to do with the tool offset? Because I also can't seem to find anything on that. And T usually stands for tool, O would seem like it would stand for Offset. But I can't seem to find anything on it.

This has me beating my head against the wall.

Scot

More
12 Oct 2019 19:42 #147751 by Scot
Nope. The offset box comes up, which bears a resemblance to the tool offset box. But it lacks any reference to a tool.

Keep in mind, I cannot select "Touch tool off" in the Manual Control tab. I can only select "touch off" which brings up the offsets box which houses G54-G59. The "Touch Tool Off" button is grayed out. No matter what I do, that button does not allow me to select it. It's consistently grayed out. I've chosen "Show tool" from the View menu. I've used the Touch Off Button which doesn't show the tool, only the offsets and I've tried just about every selection in the Machine Drop down menu.

Nothing shows any reference to a tool.

The rough part is that this isn't my first CNC rodeo. It shouldn't be like this in the slightest. But here we are!

More
12 Oct 2019 23:17 #147760 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Tool setting frustration
Do you have .hal file connections to the iocontrol.0.tool-xxxxx pins

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ToolChange

More
12 Oct 2019 23:31 #147763 by Scot
That line appears to be missing from my io.hal file. Keep in mind I'm using Pico System's boards. The files are not necessarily going to contain the things in other configuration/hardware specific files. I'm sure you already know that, though.

I've got an idea where it may go, but I'm still learning how to set pins. Reading as much as I can. And I've contacted Jon, too. I've learned enough not to muck with the configuration too much without a clear understanding, though.

As this configuration gets completed, though, we're going to add it to his files so that folks in the future using his boards to rebuild Gang Tool Configuration type lathes won't have to go through as much.

The main thing is that I'm unable to get the "Touch Tool Off" button to function to get the tool setting window up. That's really what needs to be done.

Any idea what direction I should go to get that button to function?

More
12 Oct 2019 23:42 #147765 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Tool setting frustration
If you want to use the Axis manual toolchange component you would typically have in a .hal file:
loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange
net tool-change hal_manualtoolchange.change iocontrol.0.tool-change 
net tool-changed hal_manualtoolchange.changed iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-prep-number hal_manualtoolchange.number iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number
Then after you do a tool change the "Touch Tool Off" button should be active.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds