Tool setting frustration

More
14 Oct 2019 04:22 #147838 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Tool setting frustration
No config attached.

I understand what you are asking, for Axis to enable the "Tool Touch Off" button it needs to see iocontrol.0.tool-changed and iocontrol.0.tool-prepared, that is what the pass through allows. Did you try my last suggestion because it works 100% here on a sim config.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2019 04:30 #147839 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Tool setting frustration
I've got more frustration than just tool setting frustration, now.

I can't even send a photo of the file contents and I can't send the entire config file because the linux format for the photo is wrong and disallowed by the forum and there are too many files in the config file.

I can tell you this. In my config file that I use to start up linxcnc there is a hallib file. That hallib file is in EVERY SINGLE configuration file I have made and including in the sim files. The hallib file shows up in every configuration without me putting it there.

So if it's not supposed to be there, I can remove it. But that isn't my problem.

I'll write this again. Even though it's getting really painful on my forearms.

When I input the line Tx M6 G43 into the MDI line to set the tool offsets for the tool chosen in that line the configuration is SUPPOSED to enable the "Tool Touch Off" Button in the Manual Control Tab.

But it does not enable it and in fact, LinuxCNC LOCKS UP. The problem is that the inputting of that line does not do what it is supposed to do and it causes potentially CATASTROPHIC issues. If it was to do that while running a program that could be a VERY BAD THING.

What I really need to do is to get the tools set and to do so without the machine locking up if that code is input into the MDI line or into a program. I sort of can't do that if the "Touch tool off" dialog box does not show up and linuxCNC locks up.

Does this make sense? <=Please answer THIS. Because I'm trying my best to explain it and it's clearly not getting through.

Scot.

More
14 Oct 2019 04:33 #147840 by phillc54

I'll write this again. Even though it's getting really painful on my forearms.

When I input the line Tx M6 G43 into the MDI line to set the tool offsets for the tool chosen in that line the configuration is SUPPOSED to enable the "Tool Touch Off" Button in the Manual Control Tab.

But it does not enable it and in fact, LinuxCNC LOCKS UP. The problem is that the inputting of that line does not do what it is supposed to do and it causes potentially CATASTROPHIC issues. If it was to do that while running a program that could be a VERY BAD THING.

What I really need to do is to get the tools set and to do so without the machine locking up if that code is input into the MDI line or into a program. I sort of can't do that if the "Touch tool off" dialog box does not show up and linuxCNC locks up.

Does this make sense? <=Please answer THIS. Because I'm trying my best to explain it and it's clearly not getting through.

I did answer that in my last post.

Can you try to zip your config and post it?

More
14 Oct 2019 04:42 #147841 by Scot
"I did answer that in my last post."

Our replies are crossing up. So it's a barrage of info and no real connections for each idea.

"Can you try to zip your config and post it?"

I'm still learning a bunch about linux and I don't know how to zip it up to send it.

So no. I can't.

How about this?

Knowing what you know about what will change my configuration so that the MDI line input won't lock up LinuxCNC, What exactly would you suggest? Please keep it as precise as you can as to where each file is and what it needs to be edited from and to. Because I am unsure of how exactly to do it or even if the files you're speaking of exist in my configuration. I have a VERY basic knowledge of Linux and linuxcnc. So I'm more a noob than not.

Keep in mind that some files do not exists in my configuration that exist in others, due to me using Pico system's boards. So if you put up one line of code without where it was or where it is supposed to be, I will not know where to look for it or where to put it.

I hope I'm not looking like a complete idiot. But that's how it may appear. I just need a bit more guidance than someone who may have a ton of experience. Because I simply don't have all the info I might need which you may have and take for granted that I have.

Thanks for continuing to try. Because it means tons. It's just a pain in the backside right now. I know I can figure it out. I just need a few bits of info that I don't have, sometimes.

Scot

More
14 Oct 2019 05:11 #147842 by phillc54
Not sure what linux you use, I have Debian Stretch. If I open my file manager I open my home directory then the linuxcnc directory then the configs directory then I right click on the config directory of the machine and click Compress which compress that directory to a file in a location that is choosable from the dialog.

My largest config directory is 150Kb. When I state config directory I mean the directory that the configuration for the machine resides, not the ~/linuxcnc/configs/ directory.

If you follow this post only for the files in your machines config directory it "should" work. If you have a link to the hallib directory, don't edit anything there.

Do you create your configs from a copy of a sim configuration?

~ = home directory
directory = folder

More
14 Oct 2019 05:32 #147843 by Scot
I did everything you said to do. I had to do it as root because it didn't allow me to make those changes from my user profile. When I made the changes, I went back to the other configurations and each of their hallib files where the axis_manualtoolchange.hal file is and all of those files were changed as well.

When I completed that, I opened LinuxCNC using the 98% working configuration I use, and input the same line of code T4 M6 G43 and input it into the MDI line so I can get the "Tool Touch Off" Button to enable.

The same thing happens. LinuxCNC locks up the "Tool Touch Off" Button stays grayed out and I cannot set the tool offset through the gui. Because I cannot bring up the tool offsets dialog box to do that.

The problem isn't bypassing the tool change so I can program the lathe to move from tool to tool without a pause. The problem is that I cannot set the tool offset according to the G54 offset that it is being used in. In order to set a tool using the tool offset dialog box I need to be able to bring up the tool dialog box. I cannot bring it up because the code to bring it up makes linuxcnc lock up. The button to bring up the tool offset dialog box stays grayed out after putting the code that brings it up, into the MDI bar and after linuxcnc locks up.

The video that you posted showed the tool dialog box which is used to set tool offsets in the real world can come up when the Tx M6 G43 command is input into the MDI bar. That's what I need to do to properly set my tools for the programming process I use. Granted, that's a simplified walk-through of the process. But the process is what needs to be done for me to properly set my tool offsets so they work with my gang tool configuration.

I hope this makes sense. Because I'm at a complete loss. I know enough to know that the button is supposed to function and that LinuxCNC should not lock up when an off-the-shelf command is placed into the MDI bar which enables that button.

My frustration is boundless at this point. Because I tried doing what you wrote a few days ago after reading what others and you were conversing about, with the understanding that it appears to be what I would need to make my process complete. It failed last night and it failed tonight.

What I need in a nutshell is just for a simple button to be enabled through a process which is standard on other profiles and not on mine. Giving up is not an option but I'll be damned if I don't want to.

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure it's frustrating for you as well. Email is a pain sometimes. But I appreciate you taking all the time you have. Sincerely. Thank you. If you have any idea as to what else might help, please let me know. This machine is so close I can taste the cutting fluid.

Scot

More
14 Oct 2019 05:39 #147844 by Scot
The config file I use to run that lathe is attached.

The changes to the files you explained do not work. I wish they did. But alas. I learned how to compress things from your info and I sincerely thank you for that. It helps more than you know. I appreciate that you took the time out to do that.

When you uncompress the file, you'll notice that the hallib file is the first file in the config file. That's where the axis_manualtool.hal file is. If it's supposed to be somewhere else, let me know. But that's how it comes when the profile is created. So It may have something to do with how Pico Systems sets up it's files. I don't know.

Thanks again. I hope this file helps you in stopping me from beating my head against a Hardinge lathe spindle.

Scot
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2019 05:42 #147845 by phillc54
hallib is a linuxcnc system directory that does not need editing as I said in my previous post. If you changed anything here you should revert that change. I assume that this is what you needed root for. Do NOT edit you configuration files as root or you will experience many problems. If you need to be root to edit any of your configuration files then you already have issues.

You will find that any hallib in other configurations is only a link to the hallib system directory.

I just got your config and will go through it. I see the hallib there, that is a link as described above and probably not needed at all. I will get back to you shortly.

More
14 Oct 2019 05:53 #147846 by phillc54
Edit Scot_Lathe1_univpwm_io.hal and add to the end:
# toolchange passthrough
net tool:change iocontrol.0.tool-change  => iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool:prep   iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared
you can delete hallib and axis_manuatoolchange.hal from this directory, they are not required

More
14 Oct 2019 05:57 #147847 by Scot
"hallib is a linuxcnc system directory that does not need editing as I said in my previous post. "

Well that's where the file is that you told me I needed to edit. It was no where else.

"If you changed anything here you should revert that change."

I did. I also changed it and reverted it once before because I dug through all of the files which referenced "hal" in any way and that was the only file containing it. Then I reverted back to it's original state again after editing it tonight. Part of the problem is that hal isn't .hal. And hal isn't HAL. But those incarnations of the word hal seem to be all over the place and people use the word in such a way that it could literally mean 30 different possibilities.

"I assume that this is what you needed root for. Do NOT edit you configuration files as root or you will experience many problems. "

Your assumption was correct. I understand the implications of logging on as root. But that's what I had to do in order to change the lines of code you said to change. So that's what happened. I'm not *completely* clueless with linux. I installed EMC in 2000 when it was about 2 years old and played with it a bit. So I have *some* skills. But there are things which when you explain them are kind of vague and a bit confusing for people with *some* experience. This isn't an attack. It's just an observation. Please do not take my observation, personally. It's meant to help you help me and others.

"If you need to be root to edit any of your configuration files then you already have issues."

Clearly.

Scot

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds