Tool setting frustration

More
12 Oct 2019 23:59 #147766 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Tool setting frustration
I added that code to my io.hal file and when I input the T4 M6 G43 nothing changed. The button stayed gray.

To top it off, before this code was added to that file and after it was added, when I started inputting those commands into MDI, I would go to check the Manual Control tab to select that button and set the tool and there is and was a very long and uncomfortable lag before the screen changed.

Top that off with the fact that when this command is input into the MDI bar and entered, I lose my ability to turn on the flood coolant with the Gui on the Flood box. I have to restart LinuxCNC to get that check box to work again.

Something very fishy going on here. It's driving me batty, but I'm sure a bit of emotional eating will cure that for an hour or two.

Anything else I should try?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2019 01:51 #147770 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Tool setting frustration
Did the Manual Toolchange dialog appear after the T4 M6 G43?

Are you getting any error messages in the terminal when you start LinuxCNC?

More
13 Oct 2019 02:18 #147773 by phillc54
Try it without the G43.

More
13 Oct 2019 02:33 - 13 Oct 2019 02:40 #147774 by Scot
When I input that T4 M6 G43 into the MDI bar, nothing pops up. No dialog box, no tool table, nothing.

And what's worse and very troubling is that when I input that line then go to the Manual Control tab to see if I can select the "Tool Touch off" button, there is a long and pregnant lag between tabs where the Manual Control tab, first just hangs without changing, then goes flat gray with no buttons or selection points and then finally shows itself normal. But then I go to turn the Flood coolant output or any other selection on that tab which functions before that line is input into MDI, and it won't respond.

This is new and only seems to happen when I choose to input that T4 <or whatever number> M6 and G43 line. I have to turn off the power to the amps, then back on again before I can turn on the coolant relay.

This is kind of concerning when it comes to running a machine tool that can do 360ipm rapids and has a spindle turning at 3500rpm.

No error messages. Just a non responsive helm and a need to power it down to make things work, again.

The "Touch Off" button exists and is selectable. But I cannot make that "Tool Touch Off button work for the life of me.

Could it be that I've suppressed the Y? This is a lathe configuration, so maybe that's the case?
Last edit: 13 Oct 2019 02:40 by Scot. Reason: Wrong axis noted at bottom of reply

More
13 Oct 2019 02:33 #147775 by Scot
Same response. Nothing changes. No dialog box and the lag is there and staring me in the face, taunting me.

More
13 Oct 2019 02:56 #147776 by phillc54
It must be something in your config, this is the lathe sim for Axis

More
13 Oct 2019 03:31 #147777 by Scot
That's what I'm looking for and I cannot get it to function with my Gui.

Basically, I program all of what I make with very simple blocks of code. And before I do that I set each tool to it's own offset. So when the tool is called up in the line of code that starts the block, when I send it to the position where the spindle starts and the cutting motion of the XZ slide starts, it has it's own zero point in both axes.

So here's the magic question. What code is needed to make that "Tool Touch Off" button function and where do I put it. Because I'm at a complete loss. I'll check the sim files to see what I'm missing from my .ini file. Because that's the key.

Thanks Phil. If you happen to know what I'm not catching, let me know.

Scot

More
13 Oct 2019 03:34 #147778 by phillc54
It uses the hal file called axis_manualtoolchange.hal located here

More
13 Oct 2019 03:41 #147779 by Scot
I checked the lathe sim files and the random_tc.ini file was the file that loaded with the "Tool Touch Off" button being functional.

I set the tool according to what I understand would be a simple position and sent it to zero and the graphic interface seemed to give the output that I wanted. But I'll need to try it in the real world to make sure.

I guess I'll be digging and reading.

Thanks, Phil.

Scot

More
13 Oct 2019 03:44 #147780 by phillc54
Sample Configurations, sim, axis, lathe was the one I tried.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scot

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds