Prototrak Plus Retrofit with Mesa 7i77 & 5i25 cards

More
09 Mar 2017 15:30 #89259 by andypugh
Do you know if your AMC drives require a tachometer input, or can they be configured to work in torque mode?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2017 16:05 #89262 by new2linux
andypugh, many thanks! Below is a description from the manual, I am not shore if I have answered the question. Also the link to manual. If you see the pics the old amps were on the inside of fan box, now on the out side, a "z" axes is on top, but looks like may need away work around to get power from capacitor PCB terminals, just looks 2 axes friendly.

www.a-m-c.com/wp-content/uploads/support...ual_Analog_Panel.pdf

""2.2.1 Single Phase (Brushed) Servo Drives
Brushed type servo drives are designed for use with permanent magnet brushed DC motors
(PMDC motors). The drive construction is basically as shown in Figure 2.3. PMDC motors have
a single winding (armature) on the rotor, and permanent magnets on the stator (no field
winding). Brushes and commutators maintain the optimum torque angle. The torque
generated by a PMDC motor is proportional to the current, giving it excellent dynamic control
capabilities in motion control systems.
Brushed drives can also be used to control current in other inductive loads such as voice coil
actuators, magnetic bearings, etc.""

My question is can I get away with using the push together spaded connectors or do I need to start anew and make one piece, for power to servo from amp. These are to be twisted,as you see in the pic, I have shrink wrap.

many thanks!!
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2017 17:06 #89265 by andypugh
You will need this too, for the DIP switch settings (You can select current-mode)
servosystems.com/pdf/amc/12a8.pdf

I see no reason not to make new one-piece cables from the PSU to the drives, it will be a better job and the terminals are cheap. (But then I already have a good selection of crimping tools)

More
09 Mar 2017 17:57 - 09 Mar 2017 18:23 #89271 by new2linux
andtpugh, many thanks, I like you say need the tools, I plan to make shore the connection is tight when pushed together, then shrink tube so when twisted it is all good.

EDIT: It appears the pin 1 can be used as 5v in; this can replace the separet power supply (connected to TB1) I currently have, correct?

many thanks to all!
Last edit: 09 Mar 2017 18:23 by new2linux. Reason: to ask 2nd ?

More
09 Mar 2017 18:53 #89279 by andypugh

andtpugh, many thanks, I like you say need the tools, I plan to make shore the connection is tight when pushed together, then shrink tube so when twisted it is all good.

If you don't have a crimping tool then you _could_ cut off one end and do a splice, then solder and shrink-sleeve. But to be honest you are not going to get far through a retrofit without a crimping tool, and they are not all that expensive. I would, however, suggest a ratchet style one like www.amazon.com/Voilamart-Professional-In...imping/dp/B01N0Q9ZUM rather than the super-cheap ones that come with the sets.

This video shows how to make a good wire-splice.

EDIT: It appears the pin 1 can be used as 5v in; this can replace the separet power supply (connected to TB1) I currently have, correct?

Which PIN 1? Where?
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
09 Mar 2017 19:27 #89282 by new2linux
andypugh, thanks for all your help! the 7i77 (TB1) location, top left. Pin 1 is the (servosystems.com/pdf/amc/12a8.pdf) link page 4 of 9, very top of the page. This is the link from you, I think.

many thanks!

More
09 Mar 2017 20:52 - 09 Mar 2017 20:53 #89288 by andypugh
Ah. No. The 7i77 needs up to 700mA of 5V power according to the manual, and that output on the 6A80 is only rates at 3mA.

What other power supplies do you have? You can make other voltages quite easily from 12V or 24V using these:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291970975595 (Item 2)
I use them a fair bit.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2017 20:53 by andypugh.

More
10 Mar 2017 15:24 #89334 by new2linux
Many thanks! to each of you who have help with this project!!

I am need to confirm leads. The pic is the end of the PCB with capacitor, the blue lead is to the right side of pic and I placed that on pin 5 on the P2 single connector (HIGH VOLTAGE DC Power Input) see this link: servosystems.com/pdf/amc/12a8.pdf.

I am attaching the white lead (the just to the left of center in the pic) to pin 4 the (POWER GND Power Ground (Common With Signal Ground))
I am attaching where the brown lead (hard to see, but is to the very far left) is to the pin 3 (POWER GND Power Ground (Common With Signal Ground)).

Now to P1 single connector: Pin 4 & Pin 5 go to 7I77 card DRV 0 & DRV 1.
Does this sound correct? Is there a way to confirm prior to powering up?

Many, many thanks in advance for help, it is warmly welcomed!
Attachments:

More
10 Mar 2017 16:14 #89338 by lakeweb
First is to power the power supply without hooking it up to the amp and use a volt meter to be sure where the positive out and ground are. Use an incandescent light bulb to load it and be sure. Then you can hook it up to P2, pin 4 and 5 of the amp accordingly.

I don't see any connector called DRV0 on the 7i77. The output from the 7i77 is from TB5 and called GND and AOUTx. See page 9, pdf 15 of the 7i77 manual. Those go to P1, pin 4 and 5 of the amp.

Best, Dan.

More
10 Mar 2017 16:38 #89340 by andypugh

I am need to confirm leads.

Yes, you do :-)

I see brown, blue and white leads. I have no idea how to tell which is which from here.

The rectifier is probably marked with + and -, as is the filter capacitor. You need to figure out which or white, blue and brown is connected to +ve and which to -ve, either by inspection of the PCB, buzzing through with a multimeter when the system is powered off (and has been for long enough to discharge the capacitor) and/or testing the voltage and polarity with the PSU powered up and no drives connected. You should also check that the voltage is no more than the 80V rating of your drives.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds