× Forum Header

Light Machines Company Mill

More
30 Aug 2010 11:18 #3915 by Rick G
I think it would be best to test the output you have now first and make sure you have everything configured correctly.

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2010 00:50 #3969 by rexhunt
ok I have just tested the cable and I have found that the port is indeed putting out 5v.

While the X axis was on the test run thingo that is opened from the stepconf wizard the x,y and z axies were all at 5v. However pin 17 on the controler box end was not showing any signal with a digital multimeter...is that right?

More
03 Sep 2010 10:00 #3970 by andypugh
shafagh wrote:

I use StepConf Wizard but there is nothing. It seems nothing come out of my pc! no pulse or anything.
My first question is that Im using the live CD and still don't install the program. Is there any problem with this???
and I just want to test the program and the motor, so I didn't change settings from their default in StepConf.
Is there any setting which should exactly match with hardware??

You should be able to run from the LiveCD< but you will definitely need to ensure that you have set up the parallel port pins in Stepconf to match the physical wiring between the parallel port and the driver.

You need to connect the -Ve terminals on your driver to the 0V pins on the parallel port (that is clearly missing in your photograph)

You also need EMC to be out of Emergency-Stop, and swithched on (F1 then F2 is easiest)

More
06 Sep 2010 00:10 #3991 by rexhunt
ok it seems that the emc is putting out the right signals so i'm not sure what the problem is... maby if I switch control boxes?

More
06 Sep 2010 00:56 #3992 by rexhunt
It does the same thing with all of the boxes I have here and it does the same thing... could it be the jumper configuration inside the boxes?

More
07 Sep 2010 08:59 #4027 by andypugh
Do the controllers have an active-low "Enable" input? That is not at all uncommon. If the inputs are opto-isolated it is entirely possible that they need a +5V supply and that the parallel port pins connect to the low-side and switch it to earth or not (think in terms of the signals being current-flow through the LEDs in the opto-isolators, not as high-voltage=true, low-voltage=false. )

More
07 Sep 2010 18:17 #4036 by shaworth
Shannon here,

Sorry but for some reason I didn't see the traffic being generated on this forum. I would have taken an active role here.

Here is what I recommend for the wiring. Purchase a pair of these (one male, one female) cgi.ebay.com/DB25-Male-Signals-Breakout-...&hash=item58888889fc. Then, using suitable wire, follow my instructions ( build.spaceopera.org/site/spectralight02...rtadapter/index.html ). There are a couple of signals that must be active low (spindle enable and mill enable) these are included in the adapter cable design. I really like the breakout boards because they provide solid electrical connections and are easy to reconfigure.

Then, take the 25 pin cable that came with the controller box, and plug it into the adapter harness. Plug the other end into your parallel port.

Now, you can tell if the active low lines are working, because when you press F2 (to activate the amps) from within EMC you will hear the amps "buzz". If they are not pulled low properly, then nothing will work at all. Nada, zip, nothing. That is the other sure-fire way to verify they are working. If the steppers are working at all, in my experience, the active low lines are correct.

I've heard back from several people that the cable "just works". When I was pulling my hair out trying to reverse engineer the signals I likely got the hardware configured correctly LONG before I realized it. I spent days with EMC mis-configured. My configuration is based on english units (I know, I know, during the '70s we were PROMISED by the government that we would convert to metric. Didn't happen.). It is a shame I have to live with. Is this a metric / imperial issue?

I am working on a safety circuit to detect the EMC charge-pump. Of course I will share when this is complete.

Shannon

More
17 Sep 2010 01:33 #4222 by rexhunt
Ok I have made another cable, however I cannot get my hands on one of those connectors. The only wires that need connecting are those mentioned right? because unless there is a problem with the PC I cannot think of any other problems... it is just an old one that we had here with a 450mhz p3 I think and around 150mb of ram I think... could it be too slow?

More
17 Sep 2010 02:40 #4223 by rexhunt
maby i have a different board revision in the control box??? I have revision "A" ... Can someone who has theirs working please tell me which of the jumpers inside the box are connected and which are not connected...thanks

More
19 Sep 2010 23:59 #4253 by rexhunt
Is there a difference between the Intelletek and the Light Machines Corporation mils?

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds