× Forum Header

moving problem

More
12 Aug 2019 19:39 #141988 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic moving problem
I was playing with a machine the other weekend where the stepper drive stopped working after a while. It turned out that that drive was set for maximum current. Turning it down to the second-from-max fixed the problem. Oddly there was no sign of the (tiny) stepper motors overheating,

Well, I say "tiny". Thinking back they were short NEMA23, so only small compared to what I have been recently playing with. (I have one servo rated 147Nm, that's 20,816 oz.in (20 thousand)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoberCNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2019 10:03 #142709 by RoberCNC
Replied by RoberCNC on topic moving problem
Hello again. I have updated my gantry to two ballscrews with two steppers and I would like to know what would be the best way to configure them without having to duplicate the Step and Dir signals since I would lose an output of my 7i76 for a future 5 axis. Also can use an additional driver. From what I have read I understand that it would be best to configure two joints for that same axis in the ini file, but I find it a bit confusing and I am not sure how to do it, if the HAL must also be modified, etc ...

More
21 Aug 2019 10:18 #142710 by RoberCNC
Thank you very much for the note Andy, regarding that problem if it should be due to temperature, a good pair of fans in the drivers solved it :)

More
21 Aug 2019 11:49 #142712 by RoberCNC
If I simply wire the Y in parallel to an additional driver it seems to work but occasionally I get a joint following error, on the other hand I see the problem of homing to automatically square the Y with separate switches (one on each side)

More
21 Aug 2019 12:04 #142714 by PCW
Following errors on step/dir systems without encoder feedback
suggest a setup error, can you post your _current_ hal/ini files?

More
21 Aug 2019 12:37 #142717 by andypugh

Hello again. I have updated my gantry to two ballscrews with two steppers and I would like to know what would be the best way to configure them without having to duplicate the Step and Dir signals since I would lose an output of my 7i76 for a future 5 axis.

The _best_ way to configure them is to duplicate the step-dir and accept that, if you do add a 5th stepper in the future, then you will need more interface hardware. If you are using a 5i25 then there is a connector on the card for a second 7i76 (or, more cheaply, a 7i78 or 7i85S). If you have the 7i76E then you can connect two of those cards to the expansion ports on the 7i76E.

Then you get the benefits of auto-squaring (and can tweak the squareness in the INI file)

More
21 Aug 2019 14:45 #142724 by RoberCNC
PCW:
They are exactly the same as I had, the only thing I have done has been to wire another drive and stepper to Y as a test

Andy:
I am sorry to hear that, I thought I had already finished investing money in hahaha hardware, but if you tell me that it is the best I will do so. As I have read in other threads (some of you) is to edit the Pncconf and activate two Step and Dir signals for the axis in question. On the other hand, and if I understood correctly, homing should I also set an additional one for Y1?
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2019 15:04 #142725 by andypugh

I am sorry to hear that, I thought I had already finished investing money in hahaha hardware, but if you tell me that it is the best I will do so.

The 7i76 has 5 step/dir channels, if I recall correctly, so that is enough for an XYYZA system. Do you really plan to go full 5-axis?

As I have read in other threads (some of you) is to edit the Pncconf and activate two Step and Dir signals for the axis in question. On the other hand, and if I understood correctly, homing should I also set an additional one for Y1?

I think this is a built-in feature of the version of PnCConf that comes with LinuxCNC 2.8. (For a dual-motor gantry you do want to be using 2.8)

More
21 Aug 2019 15:22 #142730 by RoberCNC
My final goal with time if it would be a 5 axis, I would love to, but that will come, I must focus on the here and now :).

My version is 2.7, how should I do it then?

More
21 Aug 2019 15:24 #142731 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic moving problem
removing all lines like:

setp pid.x.maxerror .0005

setp pid.y.maxerror .0005

setp pid.z.maxerror .0005

should fix the following errors
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoberCNC

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds