× Forum Header

Errore in Step Config

More
22 Aug 2011 09:54 #12648 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Errore in Step Config
aaa wrote:

Updating some ACPI related module or the kernel itself may be the only thing that will work.

If I recall correctly ACPI was disabled in the 8.04 kernel distributed with EMC2. I believe this was related to Realtime performance errors.

it is possible to recompile the kernel with ACPI active, and you might still get acceptable realtime performance. (Hardware dependent)

You might find this interesting:
thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/2650

Re-compiling your kernel with different compile-time options isn't all that difficult, if you want to experiment with ACPI in 8.04 (or, for that matter, 10.04 without the LAPIC dependency, which I think can be avoided by disabling SMP)

I would need to check whether the default installation includes the kernel source (I am not near my Linux boxes at the moment), if it does then it is probably just a case of using menuconfig to change the kernel compile flags, and recompiling. As you are starting with a working, already-patched kernel there isn't as much to go wrong as normal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2011 11:39 #12649 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Errore in Step Config
Andy,

Are you suggesting that older single core computers that fail to run with 10.04 but work fine with 8.04 may work with 10.04 if we recompile the kernel with SMP disabled and without the LAPIC dependency?

Has this been tried?

Thanks,

Rick G

More
22 Aug 2011 12:19 #12650 by andypugh
Rick G wrote:

Are you suggesting that older single core computers that fail to run with 10.04 but work fine with 8.04 may work with 10.04 if we recompile the kernel with SMP disabled and without the LAPIC dependency?

It seems possible.

Has this been tried?

Not that I know of, and if they have, they haven't told me.

More
25 Aug 2011 21:02 #12735 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Errore in Step Config
Andy,

Re-compiling your kernel with different compile-time options isn't all that difficult, if you want to experiment

Do you know of a link that would explain and instruct on how to do this?

Thanks,

Rick G

More
25 Aug 2011 21:47 #12736 by andypugh
Rick G wrote:

Do you know of a link that would explain and instruct on how to do this?

This is close:
help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile#AltBuildMethod
But the trick would be to get the RTAI-patched kernel sources that the liveCD is based on. They must be somewhere, but I am not sure where.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds