LinuxCNC + Orange Pi (allwincnc)

More
15 Dec 2021 07:46 #229100 by ALittleOffTheRails
Been following this thread for a while now and been having a play around with a Opi PC, originally I tried a OPi One but that was DOA.

After looking at the OPi schematics I noticed that the majority of the camera connector pins are connected to port E (PE0 - PE15), 2 are connected to port G (PG11 & PG 13) and one to port a (PA17). So that would give an extra 19 pins.

Has anyone tried this yet ?

I've ordered a cable & connector on a breakout board to give it a go, but waiting delivery. Whilst I could probe the pins age is catching up and I don't want to break the SBC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2021 17:38 #229148 by 109jb
I got a little sidetracked on my OPi project. Have been using it as I had it set up for the mill but have been playing with my new 3d printer and other projects. I still have intentions of using this with 2 MPG wheels for my lathe. Ordered 2 new MPG wheels to test things out.

More
15 Dec 2021 21:07 #229164 by ALittleOffTheRails
Yep I'm looking to use mine with a lathe as well, have a couple of encoders on the way as well as a 2nd MPG.

I have been testing with the BoB I made for my BeagleBone black, I think the way forward if the camera connector is usable is a custom board to plug into the aforementioned board.

More
17 Dec 2021 00:08 #229220 by Cncninja
I have the H3 board with 2GB's... based on the build a few months ago it would run but choked when a real 3d gcode was loaded. lots of talk about video drivers... has something changed?

More
17 Dec 2021 02:09 #229248 by ALittleOffTheRails
Orange Pi Plus 2E ?

The reality of it is is for best performance an x86 platform and MESA is hard to be beat.
That's what I'm using for my mill.

As I had breakout boards I designed for my beagle bone black the OPi looks like a good option for the lathe, as that will be more likely used via the MPGs, threading a taper turning is where I'll see the most use of the full CNC capability.

Remora is great if you are using a 3D printer board, everything is there, but if you intend using a stm32 dev board there is still a lot hardware wise that needs taking into account.
Same as this project, the hardware (level translation) needs to be considered.

The beauty I see in going the MESA route is that you buy a board that is ready to be wired into a system.

If you're into tinkering and have a good basic knowledge of electronics these "side" projects are interesting to get involved in.

I've had no issue with video.....except when running X Axis via an ssh connection.....but that is due to drivers used on the remote machine.

More
17 Dec 2021 02:35 - 17 Dec 2021 02:36 #229259 by Bari
@ cncninja I only have an old Opi with 512MB of RAM. Boards and time are hard to come by. I expect the situation to be different 6-12 months from now.

@ ALittleOffTheRails yeah many of us have thousands or tens of thousands in tooling. A few hundred $ extra for Mesa is not a problem. This project like some others using very low budget hardware are for those applications where they might have a few hundred total or so in the machine and tooling. They might be exploring how to move more smoothly using LCNC after running their *duinos for a while.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2021 02:36 by Bari.

More
17 Dec 2021 03:31 #229264 by ALittleOffTheRails
Oh yeah I fully get that.
I have a foot in both camps.

I really like this Opi Project.

If Linuxcnc supported the PRUSS on the BBB I'd be using it.

More
17 Dec 2021 17:57 #229321 by Cncninja
It does, Machinkit was an SBC fork of LCNC and is still used on PocketNC 5 axis desktops their new control is BBB based on LCNC and with full 5 axis tool center point control. I'm hoping they will release the code per LCNC lic

More
17 Dec 2021 22:35 #229345 by ALittleOffTheRails
Although it was based on Linuxcnc MK development has taken a different path than mainline Linuxcnc. There has been a lot of lowlevel changes made as well.
Machinekit development has been broken it 2 code bases, machinekit-hal & machinekit-cnc. There is also support for web-based interfaces & control, along with machine-talk which is a kind of sever-client model.

I have used Machinekit on the BBB, but switched to Linuxcnc for various resaons.

More
23 Dec 2021 17:11 #229822 by taylorcmq
could you give me these reasons, just out of curiosity, i have never used machinekit but i have heard a lot about it and i would like to know why it has returned to the official linux CNC

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds