Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

More
28 Aug 2021 00:50 #218956 by mhel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2021 20:11 - 29 Aug 2021 20:12 #219122 by cakeslob
Ok, the rx and tx are on the same TFT connector as the 1.4 except flipped 180 degrees, PB_4 is going to HE1_pwm > HE1_MOSFET > D13, and PC_13 is going to MOT_POWER which turns on the VMOT (and VBB?)via the U5 opto and the Q1 mosfet correct? How does it provide feedback for the anti driver reverse to work? Something to do with Q2 mosfet? What a handy feature (lol sorry).

I compiled it using the online compiler , and the bin was 40.3kb, is this an acceptable way to do it or do I need to install mbed ide to have it compile for os5? I didnt see anything to selecting versions with online compiler. It sent a few deprecated function flags while compiling but thats it. Im sorry if this question was answered earlier on.

Second, is this being loaded from ST-LINK, DFU, or via SD card?

Thank you for your patience, and hard work.

I will have to provide my own QC03 sticker after I clear all these stray solder balls from the board myself.

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Aug 2021 20:12 by cakeslob. Reason: edit pls dont break post

More
29 Aug 2021 20:47 #219124 by mhel
I can't help you much, I don't have the same board.
But yes according to the schematic PC13 is what turns on the motor via the opto.

As your board uses a bootloader, you just copy the bin file to the SDcard and put
it on the board. I'm not sure about the DFU, but you can also use ST-Link but you
need to offset where it programs the flash somehow, otherwise it will overwrite your
bootloader (just found out about it :-) ) . BTW, IDE is not necesarry but nice if it
has debug facility. It really helps if you can see the registers too, Scott will fill you in with more info, he knows more.

More
29 Aug 2021 21:14 #219126 by cakeslob
Ok thanks, I was unclear. I was thinking to use DFU for one of my boards thats without an SD card slot so I will have to look into it more. Also reading from the datasheets on a few chips

The STM32F405xx and STM32F407xx are part of the STM32F4 family. They are fully pinto-pin, software and feature compatible with the STM32F2xx devices

The STM32F446xC/xV is software and feature compatible with the STM32F4 family.
The STM32F446xC/xV can be used as drop-in replacement of the other STM32F4 products

Does this mean STM32 family chips will have similar firmware and just need some pin revisions/custom target to work on other stm324xx boards?

More
29 Aug 2021 21:31 #219127 by mhel

Does this mean STM32 family chips will have similar firmware and just need some pin revisions/custom target to work on other stm324xx boards?

I think so. Look at the content of TARGET_SKRV2, then also look at mbed-os/targets/TARGET_STM/TARGET_STM32F4.

More
29 Aug 2021 22:05 #219129 by scotta

Ok, the rx and tx are on the same TFT connector as the 1.4 except flipped 180 degrees, PB_4 is going to HE1_pwm > HE1_MOSFET > D13, and PC_13 is going to MOT_POWER which turns on the VMOT (and VBB?)via the U5 opto and the Q1 mosfet correct? How does it provide feedback for the anti driver reverse to work? Something to do with Q2 mosfet? What a handy feature (lol sorry).

I compiled it using the online compiler , and the bin was 40.3kb, is this an acceptable way to do it or do I need to install mbed ide to have it compile for os5? I didnt see anything to selecting versions with online compiler. It sent a few deprecated function flags while compiling but thats it. Im sorry if this question was answered earlier on.

Second, is this being loaded from ST-LINK, DFU, or via SD card?

Thank you for your patience, and hard work.

I will have to provide my own QC03 sticker after I clear all these stray solder balls from the board myself.

I used Mbed studio and it actually worked with the ST-Link in debug mode as well. Didn't test when using the standard SD bootloader though.

When trying to get the blinky to work I had to figure out that enable circuit as well. I think it would be useful for drivers that we can talk to like the TMC2209's. No comms, don't enable the drivers. For a dumb driver I'll need to look at the circuit diagram / Marlin code to understand what checks they are doing before motor enable.

When we get the port going on the STM32 it will open up a heap of board options. We'll need to port to the STM32F1 series as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari

More
30 Aug 2021 03:48 #219141 by Bari
Just that you are aware so you don't have to reinvent it all: github.com/rene-dev/stmbl

AC Servo Driver for STM32F4

github.com/rene-dev/stmbl/wiki

More
30 Aug 2021 10:34 #219157 by gtt38
I was working on a STM32MP157, and patching a real time kernel to run linuxcnc. Now its done but still unstable and very slow,maybe 650mhz is not enough to run linuxcnc.
Now i can fully help to port remora on the STM32, i m dowloading the repo right now...

More
31 Aug 2021 03:41 - 31 Aug 2021 04:16 #219213 by Bari
You'll run out of memory if you try to run the full LCNC on an STM32. Not to mention needing to run it headless.

There was someone that got it running about 10 years ago on an ARMv5 or v6 with a few hundred megs of RAM.

code.google.com/archive/p/miniemc2/downloads

Last edit: 31 Aug 2021 04:16 by Bari.

More
31 Aug 2021 06:18 - 31 Aug 2021 06:19 #219221 by scotta
A quick update. I've just got a test SPI DMA slave running on the STM32 SKR2 board. LinuxCNC comes out of E-stop!

I think I'm going to like the STM32 version of Remora when the port is complete. The SPI comms are now running x4 faster (25Mhz) than on the LPC1768. The SPI actually pre-loads the buffers so we don't need hit the E-stop button twice to get the comms loop back active.

I'm also proposing to alter the SPI checking logic as we can now use the Slave Select line, via EXTI interrupt, to trigger the DMA transfer and packet checking. This will increase the noise tolerance on the SPI even more.

One step closer...
Last edit: 31 Aug 2021 06:19 by scotta.

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds