Parallell Port PCI & PCIe Add In Card Info Thread

More
28 Jun 2021 02:34 - 28 Jun 2021 02:36 #213076 by BeagleBrainz
To save cluttering up the posts

Run this command, it will redirect the output of the command to a file.
lspci -vnn > lspci.txt
You will get no screen output but there will be a a file called lspci.txt in the directory you ran the command from, attach that file to your last post and I'll sort it out.

Redoirection explanation here:
www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials...inux-i-o-redirection
Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 02:36 by BeagleBrainz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2021 11:36 - 28 Jun 2021 11:40 #213122 by john11668

No John, none of the info mentions the parallel port. If you have a look here forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42826-par...hread?start=0#211997 you’ll see that there is mention of the parallel port and ends with name of the driver, parport_pc.
If you could run the command again and edit your post to suit that would be great.
If you aren’t sure add the whole output and I’ll show you which bit that we need.

File Attachment:

File Name: lspci.txt
File Size:7 KB

So actually comes up as a parallel controller??

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 11:40 by john11668.

More
28 Jun 2021 12:09 #213125 by tommylight
03:02.0 Parallel controller [0701]: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. PCI 9865 Multi-I/O Controller [9710:9865] (prog-if 03 [IEEE1284])
	Subsystem: Device [a000:2000]
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
	I/O ports at cce0 [size=8]
	I/O ports at cce8 [size=8]
	Memory at fbefc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Memory at fbefd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: parport_pc
	Kernel modules: parport_pc

03:02.2 Parallel controller [0701]: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. PCI 9865 Multi-I/O Controller [9710:9865] (prog-if 03 [IEEE1284])
	Subsystem: Device [a000:2000]
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
	I/O ports at ccf0 [size=8]
	I/O ports at ccf8 [size=8]
	Memory at fbefe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Memory at fbeff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: parport_pc
	Kernel modules: parport_pc

More
28 Jun 2021 21:56 #213179 by john11668
So along with this port card, a header is supplied ( so I can plug a third parallel port into this one )   does this potentially give me a further bunch of inputs?

More
28 Jun 2021 22:37 #213185 by BeagleBrainz
Well you did buy a 2 port card, it came with a header on the board an extra bracket, I guess if it came with a driver CD there was probably some kind of user manual.
So it kind of makes sense.

Try
ls -la /dev/par*
If you have parport0, parport1 and parport2 you have 3 parallel ports.
Or you can check dmesg after a reboot. I’m pretty sure I described this command in your original thread just before or after you called me a cheap drunk.

More
28 Jun 2021 22:41 #213187 by john11668
I dont think I used those words BB .

More
28 Jun 2021 23:30 #213196 by BeagleBrainz
No because you did not have the intestinal fortitude to do so. You used a bunch of cowardly words. You knew if you came out and said what you actually thought you’d be at risk at being reported to the mods. You even used alluded that you might have it wrong. If you thought you had it wrong, yet still made your claim, the only reason I can see for doing that is to insult me and, for lack of a better description, defame my character.
I would have much preferred if came out and directly called me a junkie. That is something I had experience with in my youth.
If you are of the opinion I am a drunk at least be man enough to say it.
The way you phrased it proves to me that you are nothing but a coward. So next time at least have the decency to come out and say what you think.
Don’t be a passive aggressive, give me your best shot, I’ll throw one back and whoever is left standing buys the first, and only, round. Whether a beer or an orange juice. Since I haven’t had any alcohol in years half a beer would send me to the land of nod.
All in all just be honest and direct.

More
29 Jun 2021 10:59 - 29 Jun 2021 11:02 #213224 by john11668
I came to this thread BB at your request. I brought the information you requested and you went on to ask for info on another card which I have .
Do you really expect me to add this info if you are going to keep harping on about a comment I posted on another thread.
In that thread your behaviour had appeared impulsive , childlike , and irrational , and had effectively spoiled the continuity of the thread by deletinga quantity of  content ,which might have given context to other replies.

I offered the white feather there but now it seems to me that if I post any query I am just going  to be reminded of that thread .
If this is going to be the case I will have no option than to refer to mods .

Now I have no illusions that my "newbie" presence here has little value in comparison to your wealth of experience and that mods will indeed have to take that into consideration but even if I am excluded , I will not change my opinion that your behaviour there was impulsive , childlike , and irrational.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2021 11:02 by john11668.

More
29 Jun 2021 12:36 - 29 Jun 2021 12:38 #213231 by BeagleBrainz
Actually John it took a while to get that info out of you, I wasn't too sure whether you were being petulant or just didn't read the first post to this thread or did and chose to ignore it..
I clearly explained what was required to get the required info. You chose a link to an eBay advertisement, which provides no real information regarding the card ie: chipset, capabilities and the sort. Regarding the 2nd card lets see what I said,

If you ever get around to trying the other card, and can confirm working, throw up the PCI ID and I'll add it to the mix. What we need is a list of confirmed cards

that was on the off chance you chose to install it or had a chance. Then it took quite a few attempts to get that info out of you. I also requested that you edit your post with the required info. Every time it was a new post. So I thought eff it this guy is being a clown and put the boot in. I also attempted to add a bit of levity, but I guess you didn't get that far, chose to ignore it or couldn't understand it.
Stand by your opinion all you want, we are entitled to have them, but don't act in a cowardly manner, be honest about it.
Just a little bit of background. When my wife was pregnant with my son I decided it was the right time for me to give up alcohol. Even socially, even with my wife's very Christian in laws who would have a glass of wine at a family get together. It just wasn't right for me. I didn't want my son to end up in the same position I found myself one night. Having a very scary mental episode, ringing home only to find my mother and step father were too drunk to help me out and having to present myself to the local police station in start fear of what was going on in my head. So yes it is a sore point for me. Alcohol doesn't agree with me, it is reported to interfere with the Anti Depressants I take.....And no I wasn't "off my meds" when I removed my posts.
And being a motorcyclist for the past 30 odd years I very very much against operating a motor vehicle either whilst under the influence or under the influence of drugs. It danger no one has the right to inflict on other road users and members of the public.
And no I'm not anti alcohol for everyone else, I'm anti alcohol for myself. It's not the right thing for me to consume.
And really unless you have actual proof it's best not to suggest that someone may engage in that kind of activity.

And another bit thing that is interesting is that the posts were edited early in the AM Australian time & most posts were made mid morning Australian time. So there goes your

Occasionally however we find a contributor who does so invariably late in the day after a couple of glasses of supermarket Merlot and who come over as incoherent , impatient and indeed bombastic

theory.
And no I wont pardon you.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2021 12:38 by BeagleBrainz.

More
29 Jun 2021 12:49 #213234 by BeagleBrainz
So John....
I decided to bring this issue up with the mods, linking to the original post and my replies, as I thought one of us has to take action. I have requested for no action nor anything else to be taken against you. I have also requested the report I made be forwarded to yourself.
Let the chips fall where they may.
The following user(s) said Thank You: john11668

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds