Teensy based CNC board

More
31 Jul 2021 15:19 #216459 by Cncninja
So i have a Teensy 5 axis CNC board and it has insane step rates with its 600mhz core. The board was developed for GrblHal or Grbl32/Hal. If you do a little reading on GrblHal it was based on LinuxCNC HAL's structure.  So my question is can this 600mhz monster and its HAL file be adapted to LinuxCNC?  there are a few Teensy CNC boards, below is the link to the one I have.

forum.pjrc.com/threads/61622-Teensy-4-1-Based-CNC-Controller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2021 20:55 #216494 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Teensy based CNC board
I guess that with a firmware that removed the G-code interpreter part of the firmware there might be a way.

More
10 Aug 2021 15:08 - 10 Aug 2021 16:51 #217405 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Teensy based CNC board
Wow, just WOW. It wasn't mentioned on the forums and it was buried at the website
www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html

It uses a i.MX RT1060 ARM SOC.
www.pjrc.com/teensy/IMXRT1060CEC_rev0_1.pdf

It is an IO board for the Teensy 4.1

Since it has no GPU you could use it along with a PC, Rpi, Opi etc to generate steps or with closed loop to handle the IO but NOT the the GUI.

See forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42276-rem...rocontroller-via-spi

or

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42414-lin...ethernet-using-esp32
Last edit: 10 Aug 2021 16:51 by Bari.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tuzki

More
18 Aug 2021 06:08 #218040 by tjtr33
Replied by tjtr33 on topic Teensy based CNC board
Ive had a teensy 4.1 on the shelf for months, too much to do on opi and remora and esp32. Theres been grbl and halgrbl ported to teensy already. hackaday.io/project/175209-teensy-41-cnc-controller
and I see scope shots of 181Khz step rates.
NB: steppers won't do 181000 steps per second
I am trying to finish a 3axis mill with opi+2e and tmc2130 drivers.
I think ESP32 stepgen will be next to look at but this teensy may take off.
I am afraid that opi wont be available long term,
and even the teensy 4.1 just didnrt get popular,
so the esp32 seems to have the longevity medal
if the port of the stepgen works well.

BTW cooling is very critical on drivers and cpus.
Also the texas instrument 3-5v coverters are not as good as the simple 4 channel fet level shifters.

btw2: seb's teensy work and the 4.1 gets you a LOT of LCNC i/o.
There's a load of i/o that are just solder pads on the teensy4.1 ,

That may not be a benefit to me as it took 1/2 hr for me to bridge the SPI pads on a new BTT tmc2130 this am.

my 2c tomp
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari

More
18 Aug 2021 06:21 #218041 by Bari
Cooling, proper power, kernel configs, u-boot configs, config.ini and .hal all really matter. Lots of people are just used to the broken GRBL *duino stuff and don't take the time to read the LCNC docs. It all really matters.

More
18 Aug 2021 12:38 - 18 Aug 2021 12:49 #218069 by tjtr33
Replied by tjtr33 on topic Teensy based CNC board
addendum
always power up the tnc2130s first, before lcnc
always power down the tmc2130s last, after lcnc
that makes for some complications but its an easy litany to remember

and no, I have not read all the lcnc docs,
i'm always finding out new stuff,
and always going to them for a clue.

Not only have i not read them all,
I do not understand them all.

Like I was just wondering
_why_ the skip slash button is not available during a program run
and my google foo and forum searches did not get me an answer.

or

if i add a (debug,#1) to a _running_ loop program,
why do i see it go into effect in the running program?
Like, I see "10.0000 (exclamation point icon) (kill msg X icon)"
Before _I_ load the new program.

Docs are a good thing
Forums and email lists are good too.
But as slow as I am,
I'd never get anything done if all my wonderings were typed up and followed.

thanks to all the devs and doc-ers tho,
thank you, thank you, thank you (E.P,)

tomp
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 12:49 by tjtr33. Reason: stupid editor posted before i clicked submit

More
19 Oct 2021 05:02 #223520 by Bari
More on the Teensy4.1 just no git repo :(
forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/39813-teensy-4-1-linuxcnc

I wrote realtime HAL component for communication with Teensy from LinuxCNC. Run from LinuxCNC, I am able to achieve 60us roundtrips with 40byte payload. I have written a simple HAL example for a simple servo loop, and have tested the servo loop on a single axis kinematic stage, equipped with high-precision encoder and a DC motor run by a small H-bridge driver.

I did some serious testing at 1ms servo-threads over several hours with no problems whatsoever.

I was also able to run servo-thread with 150us (6600Hz) without any problems, but I haven't spent much time testing it and don't know how stable it really is at this speeds.

More
12 Dec 2021 00:37 #228898 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Teensy based CNC board

More on the Teensy4.1 just no git repo :(
forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/39813-teensy-4-1-linuxcnc

I wrote realtime HAL component for communication with Teensy from LinuxCNC. Run from LinuxCNC, I am able to achieve 60us roundtrips with 40byte payload. I have written a simple HAL example for a simple servo loop, and have tested the servo loop on a single axis kinematic stage, equipped with high-precision encoder and a DC motor run by a small H-bridge driver.

I did some serious testing at 1ms servo-threads over several hours with no problems whatsoever.

I was also able to run servo-thread with 150us (6600Hz) without any problems, but I haven't spent much time testing it and don't know how stable it really is at this speeds.

That Thread is dead and the guy never shared anything. I've been looking into grblHAL and personally I think it would be well worth it for one of the LinuxCNC programming gurus to port it into a Mesa hm2 style implementation. From what I understand, the gcode interpreter is already broken off the hardware drivers, which is what separates it from grbl. That was done so that supporting different MCUs is easy. There's alot more than just the NXP from a Teensy supported in there.

I started a discussion about this on the grblHAL github page. Aparrently there's mainly only one guy doing the programming so he doesn't have time for it but he's pretty accessible. I'd love to do a Teensy 4.1 IO board with an ethernet interface, but I also just pondered the idea of using a RPI CM4 with a Teensy 4.1 over SPI on the same PCB, that'd be a pretty awesome little all in one controller. Unfortunately I don't do any sort of programming

How do we beg the LinuxCNC programming wizards to take this on?
The following user(s) said Thank You: fletch

More
12 Dec 2021 04:55 #228901 by Bari

More
12 Dec 2021 19:06 #228938 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Teensy based CNC board
With the exception of Remora it's just a bunch of fragmented projects. The actual question was about porting the relevant portions of grblHAL into LinuxCNC, if you look at the repositiories list you can see how many different MCUs it supports.

Personally I'm only interested in the Teensy 4.x so maybe I'll hijack that remora thread and see what he says there. The standalone projects always die and fall off so I'm not holding my breath on that.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds