Teensy based CNC board

More
11 May 2022 13:44 #242637 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Teensy based CNC board

So a part is made in China ? So what, doesn't mean it's a ripoff or substandard.

Lol I knew you were gonna say something like that. No, it means exactly what I said that you kept trying to debunk. Mesa does use some "off-brand, Chinese components" on their cards. I'm not making any claims or statements beyond that. You want the context, go back to the message you started arguing with me about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2022 13:46 #242638 by blazini36

The difference is that the hobbyists here tend to aim high vs low. The junk tends to stay on the reprap and similar forums.

"High bar" hobbyists......got it.

....elite bullshit at it's finest

More
11 May 2022 13:59 #242641 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Teensy based CNC board
What specific "off-brand Chinese components" does Mesa use?

More
11 May 2022 14:32 - 12 May 2022 06:07 #242643 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Teensy based CNC board
What started off as a fairly interesting thread but seems to have gone way off topic

Again, I'm impressed by the board produced and would like to see further development, just out of interest and to learn something. Thumbs up!
Last edit: 12 May 2022 06:07 by robertspark.

More
11 May 2022 18:58 #242664 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Teensy based CNC board
It's the low bar that is the other elephant in the room. The shiny little turds they exhibit as masterpieces for show and tell. Always praised for each perfect poop they have ever made since birth, placed in a glass case for everyone to gaze upon in amazement. It's no wonder they see anything beyond their low effort near attempts as being elitist. This is a problem that should be discussed.

Anther issue is that someone wants a "developer" to port something LCNC to a Tennsy board and is counting on their congeniality and charms to make it so. Is anyone interested?

www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html

More
11 May 2022 22:23 #242684 by blazini36

Can I suggest maybe a kind moderator to maybe prune away the "twitter" content, as it was a useful topic, it's just got a bit embroiled in opinion and measuring. {probably could be related to the CoC?} or should I not go there.

Well that's cool with me, you'll have to check with grandwizard Bari who seems to be deadset on derailing anything not Remora.....

.....is that OK Bari?

More
11 May 2022 23:50 #242691 by ALittleOffTheRails

What specific "off-brand Chinese components" does Mesa use?

I really think that this needs addressing, blazini36 brought this up, and it would be remiss to delete this with the subject being cleared up.

The only evidence he has is not being able to fond a part at Mouser and "made in china" markings on a component. Ih he hasn't any refutable proof I propose the comments revoked,to set the record straight, with an apology to address the slight against Mesa and all those involved with the development, production and distribution.

More
11 May 2022 23:57 #242692 by ALittleOffTheRails

Can I suggest maybe a kind moderator to maybe prune away the "twitter" content, as it was a useful topic, it's just got a bit embroiled in opinion and measuring. {probably could be related to the CoC?} or should I not go there.

Well that's cool with me, you'll have to check with grandwizard Bari who seems to be deadset on derailing anything not Remora.....

.....is that OK Bari?

In what way is this related to the CoC ? (not that I was ever a supporter of it)

No one "being a member of a protected class" has been harassed, actually no one has been harassed, there has been discussion regarding the merits of some projects . Tho unfounded assertions have been made regarding the quality of components used in Mesa products. Maybe this is the harassment issue ?

More
12 May 2022 00:14 - 12 May 2022 00:21 #242694 by ALittleOffTheRails
My criticism of some of the alternative driver boards is that they are not "complete", extra hardware has to be devised by the end user in regards to electrically interfacing to a machine, ie: I/O protection, translation from the various voltages, (logic to field). I also made the argument that this can push up the costs of the alternatives to a price that is similar in cost to a product from Mesa.
I wasn't saying the projects were bad, I've actually tried & played around with some of these projects but understood that they were not fully complete and ready to interface to a production machine (meaning either commercial or hobbyist) that will run gcode for many hours.
The colorcnc project requires major hardware mods to get a basic 5v Input at the connectors as the drivers on board are output only. For those interested and with the skill it is not a bad option.
I also appreciate that in some parts of the world the postage & taxes imposed by some authorities make shipping prohibitive and these alternative projects are a more viable solution, as long as the user understands some extra electrical hardware interfacing is required.
I have a small desktop cnc machine and honestly think something like a teensy, remora or allwin cnc project might be the way to go. But for the mill in the garage with all the other equipment running at various times, I wanted a product far more "hardy" than I could cobble together myself. And yes this is reflective of my own electronics design skill.

So far everyone has been polite and raised some good points. Ok maybe some more "colourful" terms but we're all adults. So far no one has been accused being a called a (guess which party) or the leader of the prevoiusly eluded to party.

Hopefully we can keep it in this vein and not find ourselves in a position where the solid bodily refuse come into harsh contact with the ceiling mounted cooling device. This. I believe, could find us in a situation where we are in the process of navigation a certain waterway without the equipment needed for forward propulsion nor steering.
Last edit: 12 May 2022 00:21 by ALittleOffTheRails.

More
12 May 2022 00:40 #242696 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Teensy based CNC board
This thread has gone way off topic.
That being said, there are some good arguments from both sides, i have been and still am on both sides ...
On the flip side, i really fail to understand why some members here give such damaging statements without ever bothering to check the reality, namely that Mesa is "proprietary" and "use of chinese parts" as none of those are true as far as i know, on the contrary, anyone here that needed "special" firmware got it inside of a day by the owner of the Mesa company, anyone who needed the schematics for a board got it inside of a day from Mesa owner.
Those making such statements, let the above sink in for a while... That is something that will never ever happen with any other company on earth.
-
I could not find the offending line regarding parts used, probably deleted by the poster, but the "proprietary" statement is still there.
-
I would leave everything, except the offending stuff, and that should be deleted by the original poster as one of them did. Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds