Teensy based CNC board

More
12 Dec 2021 19:56 - 12 Dec 2021 20:10 #228941 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Teensy based CNC board
If you want to port or have questions about grblHAL then ask on their forums.

For use with LCNC then someone needs to port the stepgens, Encoders and DMA to the i.MX RT1060 ARM SOC. The projects are listed yesterday are all LCNC projects that use a micropntroller for stepping over SPI or Ethernet.. Some just do a poor job of explaining this on their wiki.

This is why this different thread for the Teensy 4.1 is the forum, so to not hijack another thread.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2021 20:10 by Bari.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2021 20:44 #228948 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Teensy based CNC board
Well rather than being a thread Nazi, how about going back to the first thing I said.

That Thread is dead and the guy never shared anything. 

Neither that thread nor this one mentions getting the Teensy supported in Remora. Since the main person involved in that seems to post there I may as well ask. Or do you answer for him?

More
12 Dec 2021 21:05 #228949 by Bari
Nein mein Führer ! :)

We try to keep the treads organized the best we can. The Teensy 4.1 has lots of extra features such as the display controller and uses ARM Coretx-M7. ST's STM32F7 also uses Cortex-M7 vs the STM32F4xx which are Cortex-M4. The LPC17xx uses Cortex-M3.

More
12 Dec 2021 22:59 #228956 by blazini36
I've seen nothing out there that is as fast as the NXP chip in a Teensy 4.x, it probably matters when justifying a microcontroller against a good old Mesa Spartan 6 card.

In the Remora thread someone responded that the actual issue was the Teensy not being supported in mbedos. Checking the listing of supported boards for mbedos, the ST Nucleo M7 was probably the next best thing @ 400mhz.....good luck finding one. I can get Teensy 4.x's all day

More
12 Dec 2021 23:24 #228959 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic Teensy based CNC board
bari you forgot the classic
github.com/kinsamanka/PICnc-V2

With the exception of Remora it's just a bunch of fragmented projects.

Welcome to linuxcnc. Im just happy people post any projects and keep linuxcnc going.
I think you could start off with looking at the esp32 project, I understand less about it but because I think that is using an arduino framework (im not sure) and using ethernet-spi stuff , so maybe patch for teensyduino and work from there.
the Imxrt1050 boards run at 600mhz, theres a few on aliexpress but yeah nothing as common/powerful/cheap as a teensy

More
13 Dec 2021 00:03 #228967 by blazini36

bari you forgot the classic
github.com/kinsamanka/PICnc-V2

With the exception of Remora it's just a bunch of fragmented projects.

Welcome to linuxcnc. Im just happy people post any projects and keep linuxcnc going.
I think you could start off with looking at the esp32 project, I understand less about it but because I think that is using an arduino framework (im not sure) and using ethernet-spi stuff , so maybe patch for teensyduino and work from there.
the Imxrt1050 boards run at 600mhz, theres a few on aliexpress but yeah nothing as common/powerful/cheap as a teensy

Oh I know how it goes, I've been around here for a while. Machinekit had a pretty awesome project called mksocfpga that ported Mesa hm2 to Altera's and ran both Machinekit and hm2 on a DE10-Nano. I made a pretty capable piece of hardware for that just to realize machinekit was pretty much dead and LinuxCNC was never going to get into socfpga's.

Anyways I'm gonna cook up a Teensy based board, maybe I'll throw a Rpi4 on it. They say "if you build it, they will come" or I'll just throw it in the box of things that were never meant to be.
Attachments:

More
17 Dec 2021 01:04 #229230 by blazini36
Any programming guys wanna fathom a guess what it would take to port this to a Teensy 4.x?

github.com/SebKuzminsky/linuxcnc-hal-teensy

More
27 Feb 2022 04:58 #235891 by hairy
Replied by hairy on topic Teensy based CNC board

Ive had a teensy 4.1 on the shelf for months, too much to do on opi and remora and esp32.  

Any idea/guesses which solution will emerge as a popular choice for linuxcnc when times goes on? Needless to say I'm very happy to see all this development going on, finally there will be plenty of optionality and we are not going to be overly reliant on proprietary hardware vendors like Mesa. 

More
28 Feb 2022 01:13 #235971 by Bari
How do you define "proprietary hardware"?

Mesa posts all their VHDL source. They just don't post the schematics, BOM and PCB layout files for you to directly copy and sell.

Teensy doesn't post the VHDL or Verilog source to the microcontroller or BOM and PCB layout files.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyCNC, ALittleOffTheRails

More
28 Feb 2022 02:37 #235974 by ALittleOffTheRails
To be fair there has been a few cases where Peter has given out a few pages of schematics.

I fully agree with Bari. And I think it would be hard to find another manufacturer giving the support Mesa does. Even when people are adapting the source to a non mesa card.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds