Teensy based CNC board

More
17 May 2022 00:24 #243120 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Teensy based CNC board
Well it's hard to get people to see potential in something until it already exists in a useable form. I'd have already started writing the code if that was my thing but it's not. Coding for LinuxCNC is kind of obscure, I've worked with a friend on some LinuxCNC geared code but by the end I felt like I was pulling his teeth.

Personally I see the Teensy as a platform that would be good for a modular firmware. Mesa's HM2 is designed this way. The quality of the IO board is a moot point if the person writing the code didn't spend a lick of time on that specific PCB, they just wrote targeted software for the Teensy with the stepgen, encoders, as modules with some easily editable portion that resembles a "bitfile". I probably said all of that already but I do stand behind how useful that would be and the Teensy 4.x being the right platform for it.

You mention Machinekit, which I'll agree as I was never fond of BBB's. One lesser known thing MK did that could have been extremely useful was MKSOCFPGA. They ported HM2 to Altera for a DExx Nano. It basically treated the FPGA side as a Mesa 5i25 and all you had to do was modify a bitfile to give the pins any purpose they needed. The 2 problems that messed this up is the CPU in the Altera SOC was weak with no GPU at all, and this was not a thing that was supported in LCNC at all and MK was pretty much dead by the time I started looking at it.

I reached out to someone who definitely knows what they're doing but probably has no interest in this. I think if this got kicked off in a meaningful way it'd be pretty well adopted. It it's only seen as a cheapskate solution or a replacement for Mesa hardware in general it won't go anywhere because neither of those are good use cases.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2022 18:39 #244389 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Teensy based CNC board
and now www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html

Inventory Status: Out Of Stock
Last physical count: May 23, 2022

More
03 Jun 2022 20:17 #244536 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic Teensy based CNC board
Another similar multiple board solution: forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/44828-rem...ernet-nvem-cnc-board

I still lean towards a single board computer solution where all you need is some IO protection and level shifting.

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/46077-pot...ngle-board-computers

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/39037-lin...-orange-pi-allwincnc
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairy

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds