ODroid as raplacement for Raspberry Pi

More
07 Feb 2023 13:52 #263933 by TOLP2
Will order one as well, thanks for the information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2023 09:11 #264015 by rodw
Don't assume the N2+ will just magically work with Linuxcnc.
We have some guidance on the Odroid forum which has not worked on an N2.
I have a new friend who is guiding me with an Armbian build but it requires  buidling the complet OS and patching with preempt-rt in a way I've never done before...

More
08 Feb 2023 17:28 #264067 by CarterKraft
My order still shows processing as well, it might be who gets theirs first dictates how this process goes.

More
08 Feb 2023 20:09 #264072 by rodw

My order still shows processing as well, it might be who gets theirs first dictates how this process goes.

MIne took about a week before it shipped. I thought the Chinese New year might have slowed things down.
I am in the process of build a non prempt_rt  armbian kernel for bookworm with kernel 6.2 as we speak.
I left it run overnight but the HDD filled up on my Chromebook's Linux container at about 4:00am. I've expanded it, and got it going again, we'll see what happens.... Probably not the best platform to use, Really need to do it on a wired connection, not to mention on something with a few cores.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarterKraft

More
09 Feb 2023 04:19 #264098 by CarterKraft
I tried this on my Linux laptop,
I don't understand enough at the moment to figure out exactly how to do it, I don't want to wreck my laptop in the process.
I will check with Linux expert brother tomorrow and report back if I have any trouble.

More
09 Feb 2023 09:41 - 09 Feb 2023 09:41 #264121 by rodw
You won't break your PC. You are just going to compile some software using a cross compiler. From you home folder, make a new folder to keep all the development stuff out of your home folder
mkdir devel
cd devel
apt-get -y install git
git clone --depth=1 --branch=master https://github.com/armbian/build
cd build
sudo ./compile.sh EXPERT=yes

Ref: github.com/armbian/build

I built a non realtime version of Bullseye (from edge) today. If your N2+ turns up, try burning it to a SD card or something and see if it boots.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i6wiszMg...euA7a0sL?usp=sharing
Last edit: 09 Feb 2023 09:41 by rodw.

More
09 Feb 2023 15:10 #264140 by CarterKraft
My board is scheduled for delivery Monday, that's pretty exciting.

More
10 Feb 2023 12:42 #264216 by rodw
Mine arrived today.
My armbian image actually worked!
It did not seem to be booting from the emmc drive but it was fine from the SD card. Then I took it home and it booted from emmc
Perhaps it was expanding the drive or something.

Umm i you try this be sure to install a web browser.

Then I tried to install preempt_rt from the Odroid N2 forums and was not so lucky. SO I think I'll be giving armbian a try with preempt_rt but I need to be at work for that.

More
14 Feb 2023 14:23 #264509 by alangibson
I got mine working today with the Armbian Debian Bullseye Minimal image and a freshly built 5.19 preempt-rt kernel.

Initial latency numbers are bad. I'm getting at least 75us with 7 glxgears running, while I got 25 - 35 with the Raspberry Pi 4. Needless to say this is very surprising.

The X server appears to be much busier on the N2+ than on the Raspberry Pi 4, even with GPU acceleration enabled. I'm going to start digging there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, CarterKraft

More
14 Feb 2023 21:01 #264523 by rodw
great!
So you built the patched kernel from the source at kernel.org?
I got a bit distracted and tried the imges here.
sd-card-images.johang.se/boards/odroid_n2.html
only Bookworm and sid work ...   kinda.

There is a bug which breaks network becasue of an invalid nameserver in resolv.conf
The network comes up but you can't use apt install
This is an issue becasue they sure are minimal images!
no ping and no text editor make it impossible for me to press on with them.
Not to mention bricking my host PC I was working on...

So If I can edit the files on the emmc card. I was going to try adding a nameserver in /etc/network/interfaces for the specific network interface
Currently running a 128 gb emmc on my n2+ with another 64 gb  emmc in the onboard SD I am writing the image to.

But your approach sounds like its pretty good.

With your latency, thats fine for a mesa card. Try isolcpus=2,3 in grub
This isolates cores 2 & 3 so they are only available for RT threads and not accessible from userspace
This may need some experimenting with as the N2 has 6 cores but 2 of them are low power little ones so we don't want to be using them! Hopefully they are cores 4 & 5

Incidentally and off topic, the linuxcnc-uspace package has now migrated to Ubuntu kinetic so its available there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds