Remora for RP2040

More
12 Aug 2024 20:18 #307589 by Limo
Replied by Limo on topic Remora for RP2040
I don't want to seem intrusive. But does anyone have an idea and could help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2024 20:38 - 12 Aug 2024 20:38 #307592 by scotta
Replied by scotta on topic Remora for RP2040

I don't want to seem intrusive. But does anyone have an idea and could help?

Hi, maybe this thread could help
Lathe Spindle control with step/dir - LinuxCNC
Last edit: 12 Aug 2024 20:38 by scotta.

More
12 Aug 2024 22:40 #307599 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic Remora for RP2040
limo, I saw you in the discord the otherday I think, you arent using the rp2040 right?

Is remora capable of doing it? Most likely, so long as you stay within the parameters of the remora board you are using, by which I mean, if your stepgen steprate is too high, remora might not be able to accommodate. Otherwise it sounds like a standard affair, as just configuring a stepgen.

Do we know how to configure a spindle with step/dir with remora? I dont personally. The bulk of it will be linuxcnc, and we can help you with connecting to remora

More
13 Aug 2024 09:24 #307620 by Limo
Yes, that was probably me over on Discord.
In terms of hardware I wanted to use the 2040 because it is rather cheap and I can get it pretty easy.
I have managed to make a spindle work with stepgen in the past. I am just a little unsure how to connect it to remora. My thought is that in remora I just add a velocity joint in addition to my other joints/linear axis. And then connect the spindle.0.speed-out-rps to the remora.joint.0.vel-cmd. But I think I got a little confused with what an actual joint is in linux-cnc.
That thread what scotta linked was actually from me.
If I notice that remora with rp2040 can't obtain the step rates it is cheap "fail", and then I will investigate other options.
Thank you.

More
13 Aug 2024 14:27 #307637 by cakeslob
We would probably need to do some math to verify that it can provide the step speeds you need for all axis. I saw you mentioned something about an encoder, but rp2040 cannot do encoders if thats also what you need.

More
13 Aug 2024 17:38 #307644 by Limo
Encoder support is also something I am looking to have. Then the rp2040 is then probably not the best option any more. How can I estimate the performance in terms of drive frequency for the axis?

More
13 Aug 2024 23:06 #307680 by cakeslob

Encoder support is also something I am looking to have. Then the rp2040 is then probably not the best option any more. How can I estimate the performance in terms of drive frequency for the axis?

I think this is how to do the math for the axis timing, im fairly sure its the same idea
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/motion/twea...ose_your_base_period

If encoder support is what you need, the rp2040 does not support encoders at this time, and im not sure if it will or what its limits will be. the RT1052 will probably be your best bet if you want something ethernet

More
14 Aug 2024 08:32 #307704 by Limo
I have looked through the remora documentation and there are software encoders mentioned with a frequency up to 30kHz. If I get close to that number with a rp2040 I am fine with that. That would result in theoretical encoder resolution to roughly 360ppr with 5k rpm and 30kHz max input frequency. It is just the question if the pi2040 is up to the task of handling these things

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds