Limit Switches, EStop and Spindle

More
19 Jan 2021 09:23 #195874 by Marsbar
Hi Everyone,
I have rebuilt(with some help) a Boxford VMC260 Milling Machine, keeping all the drives but replacing all the electronics.

Here's some photos of the layout/wiring, BOB and Spindle drive.
I've also included a screen shot of the Parallel Port pins from the Wizard:
photos.app.goo.gl/ZmtKBsJZH63vjPAJ7

All three axis are working fine and in the right directions, so I'm very please with that
The issues I am having is that whatever settings I put into the wizard (and I think I've tried every permutation), I can't get the program to respond to the signals from the limit switches or from the E-Stop switch. The limits are inductive sensors and they are giving the correct voltage change (10 volts) at the BOB input terminals, as is the E-Stop switch.
The Spindle is also a mystery.
The spindle controller itself works perfectly when supplied with 0 to 10 volts, but I cannot get the BOB to output a variable voltage.
It just goes straight to 10 volts when I power up the board making the spindle go full speed! I bought another(same) BOB just in case I had somehow damaged it, but there was no difference.

The Hal file is attached below.
I must add that I am not a programmer and unfamiliar with Linux, so rather wary about changing lines of code!

If anyone can see any obvious mistakes in the HAL file and offer some corrections - if that's where the problem lies, then I will be really happy and grateful!

Thanks very much for reading!

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2021 20:20 #195916 by aleksamc
Check parallel port address, 0xe030 is not default address.
there should be x378 or x278, check it in bios.

More
19 Jan 2021 21:37 #195922 by tommylight
What BOB?
One with a blue relay does require 2 separate power supplies, one of them from USB and the other usually 12V external for the inputs.

More
20 Jan 2021 09:31 #195981 by Marsbar
Thanks for your reply,
I changed the address to see if it made a difference including setting it to 0,(default which does work) but the existing one does work in that it correctly gets signals through to the steppers. It could be significant that the limits and EStop which are inputs rather than outputs to the PC are the main problem, but I'm not sure that explains the spindle pin always giving the full 10volts every time I power up the mill.
I have checked the parallel port cable for continuity and it's fine.

More
20 Jan 2021 09:38 #195982 by Marsbar
Thanks for replying,
The BOB is this:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Module-Stepper-Dr...e:g:YFgAAOSw85hgAWO0
I am giving it 24volts regulated (which is the upper limit) and of course the 5 volt ttl supply. The Estop and the Limits are all getting 10 volts ( or just under) and the spindle PWM to analogue pin is giving out 10 volts also...but all the time!
It is a possibility that the board (of which I have tried a second one just in case) is rubbish?

More
20 Jan 2021 15:48 #196000 by aleksamc
Yes, it's possible.
But what wiring for it have you done?
I think, problem in your wiring.

More
20 Jan 2021 16:17 #196002 by Marsbar
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Attached is a labeled photo of my wiring to the BOB

Interestingly, I have noticed that when I detach the parallel cable, the relay powers on! This seems wrong!
Attachments:

More
20 Jan 2021 16:25 #196004 by tommylight
What type of limit switches, NPN or PNP?

More
20 Jan 2021 18:04 - 20 Jan 2021 18:07 #196010 by aleksamc
As I understood, your E-stop is connected to ( P10 <-> GND)? It's right connection, I don't understand why it doesn't work.
And what about spindle, what do you have in (Machine > Hal meter > Pin > pwmgen.0.value? )
Possibly, you have inverted signal of PWM on your board , when you set 0 on board you get 10V and when you set <maximum value> you get 0. Try to change values, what you get?
To run without E-stop, change line
net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-10-in-not
to
net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-10-in
Last edit: 20 Jan 2021 18:07 by aleksamc.

More
21 Jan 2021 08:31 #196064 by Marsbar
The limit switches are PNP:
www.automation24.co.uk/inductive-sensor-...wqRnEMhoC9lQQAvD_BwE

Maybe I need some extra components in the circuit?
Maybe these could be messing up the other components(spindle and EStop)

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds