Another "what do I need" thread. Vmc retrofit

More
14 May 2015 19:30 #58676 by thewho
I started another thread in the HAL section as I thought that this threads topic was a bit misleading :whistle:
linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/24-...elated-hal-questions

I'm just about to mill the wheel (is that what you call it?) to a mpg I'm building. Found out it's frustrating to locate zero with only a keyboard..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2015 19:45 #58679 by BigJohnT

I'm just about to mill the wheel (is that what you call it?) to a mpg I'm building. Found out it's frustrating to locate zero with only a keyboard..

Increment jog is fine with the keyboard to locate with.

JT

More
11 Jun 2015 02:21 #59680 by aventtini
I did not see if you got Heidenhain EXE interfece . I have some LS703 liniar scale and i have TNC155 did you hijake the signals from the board?

More
11 Jun 2015 02:55 #59682 by thewho
I replaced the X/Y/Z encoders. It was cheaper than buying the exes, not counting the time it took to machine the adapters though :whistle:

More
11 Jun 2015 03:10 - 11 Jun 2015 03:10 #59683 by aventtini
I have 2m liniar scale on x , and 1 m on Y and z 700mm , I was thinking the same but Sino 1uq is ok ,but i dont know the quality i never use them > By any chance any one has a indramat TRK6
Last edit: 11 Jun 2015 03:10 by aventtini.

More
04 Jul 2015 04:03 #60395 by akb1212
About the EXE boxes.... If you get them on eBay you can get them for about $50 apiece. Where can you find good reliable encoders (with this high resolution) to replace them?

Another alternative is to use iC-Haus interpolators. I found one guy on a Swedish forum that made his own using the iC-Haus chips. The price in parts were about $30 or something. I'm not sure if he will let me repost the files to make your own card here. And you'd have to register to be able to download it (and you'd have to understand Swedish to do that). So for the ones of you who are able to understand that here is the link to the thread with the file: elektronikforumet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72099.

Anyway, the precision of the Heidenhain scales (or encoders) are likely to beat anything you can get that is costing less than the EXE boxes when it comes to quality, even the price for the EXE boxes new..... so I really recommend getting the EXE boxes. The plug and play compatibility also makes it worth it.

But that's just my opinion.

Anders

More
04 Jul 2015 18:44 #60403 by thewho
I have missed that thread even though I have almost 900 posts there :whistle:
That could be a good solution if I didn't already buy new encoders..
No. "630-HEDR-55L2-BY09" From Mouser

More
09 Jul 2015 03:39 #60531 by akb1212
Must be because it's in the electronics part of the forum, not in the mechatronics part where most of the CNC things are discussed?

I'm just curious here, did your mill have linear scales with 11 uA sin signals (since you were talking about EXE boxes I assume that's what you have)? And you removed them and replaced them with the mentioned rotary encoders???????

If that is the case I would look back at the start of the thread and read PCW's advice against using those encoders. He's concerns are valid, and using them will give you inferior results because of the time-lag in them.

Secondly I would suggest you rethink the removal of the linear scales if it's using them? If your mill actually had linear Heidenhain scales it would be a terrible mistake, and a huge step away from accuracy and reliability to remove them.

Or if it has encoder system made by Heidenhain or similar quality industrial encoders for that matter. The ones you are putting in there now are so inferior to whatever they had the sense to put in to a machine like that you don't even realize it (or else you wouldn't do it).
And if they are analogue 11uA type encoders (which were normal at that time) they are even better than normal digital encoders! They can be interpolated to get all the resolution you want! Now the technology to do that is cheap and available (iC-Hause and others make the hardware needed for that).

So I ask you, please take a second look at the encoders that were in there originally. That is in your own interest!

More
09 Jul 2015 04:41 #60532 by thewho
There was rotary encoders on the machine from the beginning. There was something wrong with the X encoder, got an pos error sometimes at random. So instead of troubleshooting that and buying exe boxes I just bought new encoders to get on with the retrofit.
I have no problems with the new encoders so I'm not going to put hours on something that already works.

It was the AMT encoders that apparently had some lag when accelerating. The ones I bought is not capacitive.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds