Mesa 5i25 config for chinese BOB

More
31 Aug 2015 17:52 - 31 Aug 2015 17:53 #61936 by eFalegname
Hey guys, I decided to build a new Router with some spare parts that I have around the workshop.
I have a couple of these cheap cinese BOB from eBay and want to use them with a Mesa 5i25.
The problem is that I have not the faintest idea on the settings in LinuxCNC. Is it possible to make work the mesa card with the chinese one together? Should I buy the 5i25 with a specific firmware for this setup?

Any help will be wellcome.
Thanks
Floris
Last edit: 31 Aug 2015 17:53 by eFalegname.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2015 20:19 #61938 by cncbasher
a firmware bit file would need to be made for the 5i25 , as with the default pinouts on first glance there is a slight difference between them
and then you would use the utility mesaflash to upload to the 5i25 .

but nothing that cant be done , however using a standard printerport , will work just as easy ?
do you have a specific reason for wanting to use a 5i25 ?

to make your first configuration use pncconf for mesa cards , or stepconf for a standard parallel port

you will probably need help in producing the bit file , as this requires specific software to do so , details are on the wiki , but dont worry
we can help if need be . and guide you through

More
31 Aug 2015 20:59 #61939 by eFalegname
Thank you very much for fast answer.
The main reason for choosing this configuration is economic.
I have at least 3 pc but none gives me a good result in the latency test :angry: . I have also two Chinese BOB like this of the link that would like to use.
I do not think I need a mesa d. card to command my router because do not need so many data imput_outputs, plus I do not buy it very economical in Europe, the price for the combo 5i25 + 7i76 = 357 € shipping to Italy included.
I would not know where to start. :(

More
31 Aug 2015 21:34 #61940 by Todd Zuercher
I would think that the Probotix firmware would work fine with those boards. But I would ask Mesa to confirm that it could exactly what you want it to.

PS: What exactly do you want it to do? If all you want is a few step gens some GPIO and maybe a PWM, then I don't see why it couldn't be exactly what you need.

More
31 Aug 2015 22:59 #61945 by cncbasher

Thank you very much for fast answer.
The main reason for choosing this configuration is economic.
I have at least 3 pc but none gives me a good result in the latency test :angry: . I have also two Chinese BOB like this of the link that would like to use.
I do not think I need a mesa d. card to command my router because do not need so many data imput_outputs, plus I do not buy it very economical in Europe, the price for the combo 5i25 + 7i76 = 357 € shipping to Italy included.
I would not know where to start. :(

try and find a pc giving good latency , you do not need mesa card for such simple machines , also do not use laptops
can you give details of the pc you have and the latency figures you have obtained .
also which distribution and linuxcnc version you are using

More
31 Aug 2015 23:26 - 31 Aug 2015 23:32 #61948 by eFalegname
I'm going to redo the latency test and post the results here with the data of the PC. Shame to have to buy a new motherboard , it's difficult to find an intel atom mobo in Europe.
I'm using Linuxcnc 2.7.0 pre7 with ubuntu 10.04
Last edit: 31 Aug 2015 23:32 by eFalegname.

More
01 Sep 2015 21:22 #62001 by andypugh

. Shame to have to buy a new motherboard , it's difficult to find an intel atom mobo in Europe.

I recently bought one of these: www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=34#JNF9C-2800 Not the cheapest and not the best latency (though OK). But the fact it runs from 12V DC power and is very thin are nice for my application.

That same site has other (cheaper) boards. Despite appearances, the board comes with a set of serial header breakouts and a breakout for the VGA port.

Having said that, if you have a 5i25 and a motherboard then use that. If the Probotix firmware isn't quite right, then you may be able to just ignore those pins where the match is wrong.

More
28 Nov 2015 10:30 - 28 Nov 2015 10:32 #65927 by G0G53Z148
Push up the POST again.

My machine is running with 2 of this BOB on P4

i want to change to mesa but want to use the bob so long they work, this is now 5 years.
I think i shoult contact mesa about a firmware to made custom then i think mesa will be mor comfortable. Some BOB to use mesa are not to become easy in europe.

or must open the cable and change the intern pinout 1 to 4 and so than a standard firmware is connectable for mesa to standard bob

may i am right?
hand
Last edit: 28 Nov 2015 10:32 by G0G53Z148.

More
28 Nov 2015 11:33 - 28 Nov 2015 11:43 #65929 by cncbasher
you should find one of the standard mesa bit files will fit , it's a standard layout , probotix is probably close
should if you need a bit file making to suit , shout

give me the pinouts required , as there are a few different versions of that particular bob .
Last edit: 28 Nov 2015 11:43 by cncbasher.

More
28 Nov 2015 12:46 #65934 by eFalegname
Bob Wiring diagram:

I think the Mesa 6i25 is the best bet for this card and the modern PCs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desertboy

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds