Koike Aronson Plasma Conversion - sanity check on Mesa board selection?

More
16 Apr 2023 02:39 #269182 by brian_cant_code
Hello All,

I recently got a 5x10 Koike plasma table with a super old controller that is no longer supported by the three companies that were involved in it. I'm not happy with the performance of the machine (and how old the controller software is) and I cannot reconfigure it due to administrator passwords that have long since been removed from the memories of those involved. 

I'm very comfortable with Linux, control theory, wiring, and would like to modernize this setup with LinuxCNC / PlasmaC.

The machine has 2 channel + Index encoders, brushed motors, Advanced Motion Controls 12A8 Drivers (+/- 10v input), and Tachometers to close the loop with the motor drivers. I also have a Hypertherm Powermax45XP.

Browsing the (currently available) selection of Mesa cards I have stumbled onto this solution:

+ 7i36 4 Channel Analog Servo interface
+ 5i24-25 FPGA PCI Anything I/O Interface
+ THCAD2 High isolation A-D accessory
+ a machine from my closet

I was curious if this setup was reasonable for a retrofit? Any advice would be appreciated -- thank you kindly!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2023 10:16 #269204 by tommylight
I would get 7i96S and 7i77 as they seem ti be awailable often.
This way you have 5 step/dir and 6 analog chanels with 7 encoders and another spindle.
And THCAD, of course.
Othervise, 7i92 and 7i77 or just 7i97 for analog systems, if they can be found.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brian_cant_code

More
16 Apr 2023 13:23 #269210 by PCW
The 7I92T[x] is available.

More
16 Apr 2023 15:08 #269213 by brian_cant_code
Thank you for your thoughts! Forgive my ignorance, but what would the step/dir channels get me for this setup? My understanding is that I cannot use them for the axes as they are brushed motor controllers. Is this just a thought for future proofing?

Thanks again!

More
16 Apr 2023 16:32 #269220 by tommylight

Is this just a thought for future proofing?

Yes.
That and availability, but the main reason, you have everything future proof, if the old drives die, you can get any type of new drive, be it step/dir or velocity +-10V controlled, and change nothing on the Mesa/controller side.

More
16 Apr 2023 21:22 #269237 by brian_cant_code
Love it, great thinking!One new question along the lines of this upgrade - would an Animatics smartmotor Z be supported? It looks like it has four inputs (Up, Down, Manual/Auto IHS, and "Cut 1"). This is currently driven by the Innerlogic THC which just commands up/down via relays based on the arc voltage (or so it appears). The smartmotor seemingly has a built-in function for rapid Z then a precise Z when you're in the range of touching material. Given this I'd have to have some open-loop conversion for initial torch-height to seconds of lift after an ohmic Z sensing? Is this reasonable?Also, here's what I've compiled based on your suggestions -- thank you so much!
Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2023 23:30 #270088 by brian_cant_code
By way of update, I got the machine cutting today, thanks for all the support in this thread as well as all of the others I poured over the past week.

I ended up removing the Animatics Smartmotor from the original setup and replacing it with a stepper motor I had on hand, the smartmotor was just a little too dumb for my taste.

The one remaining item I have it to get the THCAD2 setup. I'm unclear on how the encoder mapping works when I have the 7i96s + 7i77 setup together. It appears as though the 7i77 takes encoder slots 0-5, but I also have 6 and 7 listed in halshow and regardless of which I configure the default value that is detected is -22 in plasmac. Seems like I'll have to do a bit more digging...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
28 Apr 2023 09:55 #270102 by tommylight
Using PlasmaC or QtAxis PlasmaC or QtPlasmaC?
-22 should mean the THCAD is connected and sending pulses, the scaling and offset are not set in the settings tab.
Does -22 fluctuate?

More
28 Apr 2023 16:55 #270116 by brian_cant_code
I'm using QtPLasmaC.

I have these in my *.prefs file:

[PLASMA_PARAMETERS]
Arc Voltage Offset = 3071.8750
Arc Voltage Scale = 0.00797309

Unfortunately my setup (7i96s+7i77) isn't supported in PNCCONF so I've had to assemble everything by hand using various sources, so it's very likely I've messed this up :)

Do I need to include the calibration values elsewhere as well?

iirc the -22 is very constant (this is while not cutting, FYI)

Thanks!

More
28 Apr 2023 18:56 #270122 by PCW
What does the encoder 6 velocity pin read?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds