Bridgeport with Siemens amps and servos

More
23 Jan 2012 18:11 #17063 by BigJohnT
No, you just have to tie a pair of terminals together, but wait if you do that without the control system in control of the drives they can take off so that is why I used a momentary push button to enable the drive while testing with a small voltage on the velocity inputs.

I'll go back out and see what terminals it was to enable the drive... now that I have internet back in the shop.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2012 19:03 #17065 by BigJohnT
Terminal 63 is connected to a relay that grounds to 0v when enabled on my main drive board.

John

More
23 Jan 2012 21:19 #17066 by BRoth
I have movement! It sure makes me happy to see them work.

There must have been a bad wire connection somewhere because I took everything apart and put it back together.

This time I also put a momentary switch on the enable rather than a toggle. My limit switches kill power to everything so I wasn't too worried if something got away.

I'm going to go with the Mesa 5i20, 7i33, and two 7i37s. I haven't decided on a computer yet. None of them I have laying around will load the Ubuntu/EMC disk. I thought about the D510 but is it going to last?

Thanks for looking at your boards for me, John. It was a big help!

Benjamin

More
23 Jan 2012 21:29 #17068 by BigJohnT
Glad to hear you have movement, now you can get the terrible thought of using the mill as a manual mill out of your head :)

The D525 is the current version of the D510. I'm using the 5i25 7i77 combo on my BP conversion. Gotta wait about 2 weeks for the 7i77 to be in stock. The 5i25 7i77 is brand new bleeding edge... my CHNC uses the 5i20 combo and it works great. Just don't forget to order the 50 pin flat cables to connect the 5i20 to the daughter cards unless you have some, they are a bit rare I think scsi or some other thing used them.

John

More
24 Jan 2012 03:40 #17079 by BRoth
I guess If I've waited this long I can wait two more weeks. I do like the idea of less hardware with the 5i25 and 7i77, and no special/extra cables either. You've piqued my interest. Are there any disadvantages? Such as bugs yet to be worked out because it's new?

Benjamin

More
24 Jan 2012 12:53 #17095 by BigJohnT
I think Andy has been working with a prototype 7i77 for some time now. I have a 5i25 7i76 combo on my plasma cutter now and really like the simple cable arraignment and the ton of I/O all on one card. I assume there is always a chance of some unknown to crop up but Peter is usually Johnny on the spot to fix it so I don't worry much.

John

More
28 Jan 2012 04:30 #17215 by BRoth
Actually I'm more concerned about using hardware that someone else is familiar with when I end up needing help!

I ordered a D525MO and a few other things to get started. I've got the wires on the mill ready to hook up.

Benjamin

More
28 Jan 2012 13:05 #17226 by BigJohnT
I totally agree that using hardware that has a good support base can be worth the extra $ over a cheap chinese driver board. You see that over and over here on the forum and mailing list "I have this XYZ board from china that no one knows the timing specs on and I think if I solder a jumper here it might work and I got it for only $125 but spent weeks trying to get it to run and then when it did run it ran crappy..."

John

More
07 Mar 2012 03:57 #18435 by BRoth
Even still, I don't think this hardware is expensive. At least compared to a brand new industrial controller.... It's all the time spent learning how to use the hardware and software that's "expensive".

So my question is, now that I downloaded the 5i25 support software, where do I put it to make use of it? Do I set up my machine through Pncconf or?

How do I get 5i25 firmware to show up on Pncconf?

More
07 Mar 2012 06:48 - 07 Mar 2012 06:49 #18436 by cmorley
What firmware did you buy the 5i25 with?
At the moment I don't think PNCconf is gonna help you. PNCconf only supports the 5i25 with 7i76 firmware at the moment.
7i77 support is coming but will still be a bit.

The support software you downloaded from Mesa website is not really useful to you.
You will need to hand edit a sample config to get going. Others will surely chime in to give better recommendations.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2012 06:49 by cmorley.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds