New Build - Tree VMC 1000

More
13 Aug 2012 20:01 - 13 Aug 2012 20:42 #23113 by dangercraft
Hello everyone,

I finally got the Tree VMC in the shop (sort of), its on the floor and under the roof at least. The machine is A LOT bigger than I expected to I am going to have to rethink where I was gonna put it.

This machine has 40"X, 23.6"Y and 24"Z travels and a 42"x24" table. The spindle is 20HP by 8000RPM and I think it has coolant through spind as at first glance there is what I think is a coolant hose piped into the spindle.

The machine is working and fires up, it has a Dynapath Delta 20 control, MSI Servo drives (and servos?) a Yasakawa Spindle motor and what I think is a Yasakawa Spindle drive (no marking I can see yet.)

I haven't recieved the documentation yet, but I should have it this evening so I should have better information after that.

So far I am happy with the machine, upon first inspection it looks like it was well taken care of. One of the enclosure panels was dinged during shipping, but its just cosmetic and I can fix it here on the press.

Some pictures for your viewing pleasures:
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 20:42 by dangercraft.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2012 20:03 #23114 by dangercraft
Can't seem to insert more than one image per comment...
Attachments:

More
13 Aug 2012 20:05 #23115 by dangercraft
Again...
Attachments:

More
13 Aug 2012 20:09 #23116 by dangercraft
I'm debatting what to do as far as the electronics. Right off the bat, the Dynapath Delta 20 is going right out the window, but I am not really sure if I want to replace the rest of the electronics. I guess it'll depend on how well I can make them play with linux cnc and Mesa. I'll have to wait until I have the manuals for that. Any ideas?

More
13 Aug 2012 21:09 #23119 by bobinater
The control cabinet looks alot like my journeyman 325 that works just fine on the dynapath

but it lacks memory, I can only run 1600 lines of g-code so I will watch this retro to see how things go

and just maybe i will retrofit mine as well

Bob

More
13 Aug 2012 21:33 - 13 Aug 2012 21:34 #23122 by BigJohnT
That thing is deep, is the tool changer in the back?

The electronics look clean. If they are velocity drives with encoder feedback to the controller it will be an easy conversion. My CHNC was like that. You can see details of my CHNC conversion here . The tool changer might be fun depending on how it works you might want to use some of the features in master for tool remapping.

John
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 21:34 by BigJohnT.

More
13 Aug 2012 22:36 - 13 Aug 2012 22:41 #23123 by dangercraft
This thing has a Chain driven 40 ATC with a swing arm. It looks like it uses a regular 3 phase induction motor with an incorporated brake. The chain mechanism has two position sensors as far as I can tell, probably one for index and one for steps . I haven't thought about how to interface to it, but I was thinking it might have a separate PLC or controller that drives it. If it didn't, I was thinking I have some small PLC's laying around that I thought I might be able to program and then just send the tool selection signal from linuxcnc... or maybe set something up directly with classic ladder.

I found a Siemens manual for a drive with the same model number and it was a velocity drive, tonight when I get the manuals I'll dive through them and see. The spindle is a 2 speed unit and I'd guess that one is indeed a velocity+encoder setup, we'll see. So can I assume correctly that a velocity setup is pretty straight forward with linuxcnc? I ask because my experience with motion control in general is with pulse+dir setups.

Frank
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 22:41 by dangercraft.

More
13 Aug 2012 22:41 - 13 Aug 2012 23:16 #23124 by dangercraft
John,

The tool changer might be fun depending on how it works you might want to use some of the features in master for tool remapping.

What is "master"?

Frank
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 23:16 by BigJohnT. Reason: fix quote

More
13 Aug 2012 23:14 - 13 Aug 2012 23:18 #23127 by BigJohnT
dangercraft wrote:

John,

The tool changer might be fun depending on how it works you might want to use some of the features in master for tool remapping.

What is "master"?

Frank

Master is the development version of LinuxCNC. When new things are added they go into master and when a branch is created like 2.5 it is usually created from master then allowed to stabilize for some time before releasing. If you look carefully on this page you will see the docs for master. LinuxCNC has a build in PLC called Classicladder and that is what I used for my CHNC turret.

John
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 23:18 by BigJohnT.

More
13 Aug 2012 23:24 #23129 by BigJohnT
dangercraft wrote:

This thing has a Chain driven 40 ATC with a swing arm. It looks like it uses a regular 3 phase induction motor with an incorporated brake. The chain mechanism has two position sensors as far as I can tell, probably one for index and one for steps . I haven't thought about how to interface to it, but I was thinking it might have a separate PLC or controller that drives it. If it didn't, I was thinking I have some small PLC's laying around that I thought I might be able to program and then just send the tool selection signal from linuxcnc... or maybe set something up directly with classic ladder.

That looks like a random tool changer where the tool in the spindle is swapped with the tool in the chain. You can take advantage of using tool prepare to move the tool into position in advance of changing it. Should be reasonably straight forward to do.

John

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds