New Build - Tree VMC 1000

More
21 Aug 2012 23:23 #23519 by dangercraft
Hey Andy,

There are several analog sensors and signals currently on the machine I'd like to keep:

First the spindle load. Even though this is something you can tell "by ear" so to speak; I think this is useful information to keep track of on several levels, besides it would look really cool to change out the analog needle on the pendant for a big BRIGHT blue lcd of the same size showing RPMs and load :laugh: (I'm a dork) :laugh:

There's a few others already there: coolant tank level, air pressure, spindle cooling fluid level, way lube level.

And there's a few I'd like to add mostly for diagnostics purposes if in case they are ever needed: Coolant tank temp, spindle temp, coolant pump load, coolant line pressure, spindle cooling pump load, chip conveyor (future addition) motor load.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2012 00:24 #23520 by dangercraft
Dangit...

I knew everything was too good...

I took off the way covers tonight and there is a thick red powder oxide all over the ways which seems to come from what ever they were milling on the machine. You can tell the bed only used about half its travel either way because where the travel stops there is some pitting on the ways. The screws look ok with only a little oxidation on the end of the Y screw and it looks like the ballnut never reaches that area of the screw. According to the manual the ways slide on turcite, and at least the bottom ways look like they are replaceable.

Because my plans for this machine were to give it a new life, I was already considering having the screw assemblies reground and preloaded or replaced if they were bad enough. What do you guys think about the ways, they are all replaceable, should I remove them and have them reground and hardened while I am at it? Should I have them replaced? I don't know if the height change from grinding them would be a problem as far as aligning the screws is concerned. I'm guessing if I run the machine as it is, it'll eat the turcite right up and I was already planning on replacing the turcite liner. Of course if I could polish the ways, change out the turcite and run it as is for say a year that would be preferable. But then, I'd like to give this machine a new life. I bought the machine for 5 grand (USD) and so far, everything included I've spent a little less than 12 grand (shipping to panama and import duties was a little less than 7 grand) on it which is nothing compared to what a new machine of comparable specs would cost and it probably wouldn't be as heavy duty. I've never done something like this (I'm a computer scientist) so I'm kinda scratching my head here.

I'll post some pics in a minute.

Frank

More
22 Aug 2012 00:29 #23521 by dangercraft
Y ways away from spindle...
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2012 00:29 #23522 by dangercraft
Y Ways , spindle side...
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2012 00:30 #23523 by dangercraft
X Ways, Left Side...
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2012 00:31 #23524 by dangercraft
X Ways, Right Side...
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2012 07:25 #23535 by andypugh
Those ways do look a little but gruesome.

Pitting probably isn't a huge problem, as long as it is holes and not peaks. But you seem to have lumps of rust.

The first thing to do is likely to be to give it all a good clean, possibly even using some rust remover (see what other folk say first).

I certainly wouldn't want to run the axes over those areas as things stand, but once they are cleaned up and free of burrs and lumps it would be useful to see how smoothly the carriages slide over those areas.

I have a feeling that removing the strips and grinding might leave you with a big setup problem.

Do you know if the ways are hardened?

More
22 Aug 2012 21:51 #23558 by dangercraft
I cleaned up all of the rust and the gunk and I was able to figure out that most of the rust was from the way covers that have rust completely, though from the inside. However, it looks like that rust contacting the ways is what cause the ways to corrode. The ways are pitted pretty bad and it looks like I'm going to have to grind them... Luckily I contacted Ted at Eagle Machine Tool, who now own the assets of Tree Machine Tool and apparently have been working on Tree Machines for a long time. Ted was extremely courteous and helpful, he explained to me how to disassemble the assembly, regrind the ways and then compensate for the lost dimensions by over-sizing the turcite liner. This dude really knows his stuff! I strongly recommend them to anyone who needs parts for their Tree machines.

Here is a picture of the X ways after I cleaned with a bronze wire brush.
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2012 22:03 #23559 by andypugh
With oil, that doesn't look too bad.
The extremities of the ways only hold the bed from drooping anyway, all the cutting forces are in the middle where the tool is.

I would be tempted to check for high spots with a surface plate and some Blue, and ignore the low spots.

More
22 Aug 2012 23:49 - 23 Aug 2012 00:16 #23560 by dangercraft
Andy,

I'm very tempted to do what you are saying because honestly I can wait to see this running. Tomorrow I'll know how the rest of the ways look. Do you think the pitting will quickly eat up the turcite?

Frank
Last edit: 23 Aug 2012 00:16 by dangercraft.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds