New Build - Tree VMC 1000

More
21 Aug 2012 15:51 - 21 Aug 2012 15:53 #23494 by dangercraft
Andy, when you put it that way, that makes sense. I'll leave the whole thing intact and just swap out the Dynapath for Linuxcnc. I guess rather than spending 10 grand on 3 servos and drives to replace the current one's, I could use that money to fabricate my own 4th and 5th axis. :laugh:

What I'll probably end up doing is finish up the foundation this week. Mount and level the machine on the foundation this weekend. Hopefully power it up and test it with the Dynapath control this weekend also and play with it until my linuxcnc parts come in.

Now I gotta think about what I am going to do as far as the PC setup and the driver cards... :)
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 15:53 by dangercraft.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2012 16:06 - 21 Aug 2012 16:23 #23495 by dangercraft
I've noticed that the Atom BOXD525MW motherboard, cpu and video combo seems to be very popular for running linuxcnc. This board does not have the option for an external video adapter. Is this an issue with linux cnc? I understand that linuxcnc does not get along well with integrated video. Also, does this atom processor have enough umph for a 6 joint setup (5 axis plus spindle) plus glass scales on X,Y and Z (and about 70 other digital and analog IO)? I understand I shouldn't install more than 2 gigs of ram because of an issue with the real time kernel? I would run the mobo, boxless with a 6i25 on the single PCIE slot with the daughter cards separate connected by cables all on the same mounting plate. This sound ok?

The other option I was thinking about was an corei3 dual core sandy bridge setup...

Frank
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 16:23 by dangercraft.

More
21 Aug 2012 16:33 #23499 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:New Build - Tree VMC 1000
Hi

I understand that linuxcnc does not get along well with integrated video.

No, it doesn't get along well with flaky video, whether integrated or not. The Intel chip on this board is fine.

I understand I shouldn't install more than 2 gigs of ram because of an issue with the real time kernel?

It's nothing to do with rt.
A 32 bit system cannot use more than about 3.25GB of RAM, even though in theory it ought to be able to address 4GB.

The Ubuntu installer was dumping the rtai kernel and reverting to the stock pae one when it detected >2GB, which caused all sorts of head scratching!!!

The other option I was thinking about was an corei3 dual core sandy bridge setup

Don't. Read this thread, don't think he was ever able to get rtai running on his Sandy Bridge MB

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...mit=6&start=12#19944

regards

More
21 Aug 2012 17:04 - 21 Aug 2012 17:05 #23501 by dangercraft
Thanks ArcEye, I really appreciate it. So I should be ok with the Atom 525 on that mother board. To get around the ram issue, would I run the installer with 2 gigs and then put in the second stick after the install is complete?

After going through the machine, if I want to keep all of the functionality, it looks like I am going to need:

6 encoder channels for XYZ (rotary plus linear scale for each one.) One Encoder Channel for Spindle. Two encoder channels for 4th and 5th respectively. Thats a total of 9 encoder channels.

6 +-10V outputs for XYZ+Spindle+4th&5th

16 Analog Inputs for spindle motor load, coolant pump load and various analog (4-20ma) sensors (pressure, temp, tank level etc.) sensors

A metric crap-tonne (about 30 inputs plus 24 outputs) of various field IO field inputs and driver outputs (lube, air, solenoids, limits etc.)

For the driver cards I was going to use the following:

1x 6i25

1x 7i77

1x 7i85 (Five channel RS422 hub plus 4 encoder inputs)

1x 7i64 (RS422 Interface to 24 Opto Isolated digital input plus 24 opto isolated 2.5 Amp output drivers)

2x 7i87 (RS422 Interface to 8 Analog +-10V inputs plus 3 digital outputs)

I'm a little green on setting up Mesa cards in linuxcnc, does this setup look ok?

Frank
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 17:05 by dangercraft.

More
21 Aug 2012 17:10 - 21 Aug 2012 17:11 #23502 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:New Build - Tree VMC 1000

To get around the ram issue, would I run the installer with 2 gigs and then put in the second stick after the install is complete?

That is what I would do.

Ref the Mesa boards I'll leave others to answer, I haven't used them.
I know John and Andy both use them with a 525 and the only problem I recall is possibly headroom if in an ITX enclosure.

regards
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 17:11 by ArcEye.

More
21 Aug 2012 17:33 - 21 Aug 2012 17:36 #23506 by BigJohnT
dangercraft wrote:

Thanks ArcEye, I really appreciate it. So I should be ok with the Atom 525 on that mother board. To get around the ram issue, would I run the installer with 2 gigs and then put in the second stick after the install is complete?

Just download the latest LiveCD and use that. There have been a couple of fixes to the LiveCD as of late and the 4Gig ram issue is one of them.

Does the D525 have a PCIE slot? I don't recall seeing one... but I wasn't looking for one either. I used a 5i25 in both of my D525 computers.

John
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 17:36 by BigJohnT.

More
21 Aug 2012 17:54 - 21 Aug 2012 18:17 #23507 by dangercraft
Hey John,
According to the newegg, it has 1 Mini PCIe, is this not PCIE? Either way I guess it doesn't matter, I would just use the 5i25, I just assumed mini PCIe was the same as PCIE.

Frank
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 18:17 by dangercraft.

More
21 Aug 2012 18:12 #23508 by dangercraft
After going back to the newegg website and looking at the pictures I can't find a mini PCIE, even though it says it on the site. Now I just have to find where they have them in stock. Newegg has them in stock, but only in packs of 10. :laugh:

More
21 Aug 2012 18:38 #23509 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:New Build - Tree VMC 1000
Mini PCIE slots are little parallel-to-motherboard connectors for things like wireless cards (its the successor to Mini-PCI)

More
21 Aug 2012 21:48 #23515 by andypugh
dangercraft wrote:

For the driver cards I was going to use the following:
1x 6i25

Be careful there. The D525MW board has a full-size PCI slot and needs the 5i25.
The DN2800 has PCI-e (PCIE? Anyway, the little short one) that suits the 6i25.

1x 7i77

Pretty much the default choice for servo setups. Note that there is a fair bit of field-IO on that board, with enough current capacity to drive reasonably sized relays.

1x 7i85 (Five channel RS422 hub plus 4 encoder inputs)

That seems to be Mesa's 8i20-aimed board, but certainly seems like the ideal thing to hook up the extra encoders to and connect extra SmartSerial boards.

1x 7i64 (RS422 Interface to 24 Opto Isolated digital input plus 24 opto isolated 2.5 Amp output drivers)

Is a very nice card, with some fairly serious voltage and current capacity. I have one on my machine and I like it, though it isn't cheap.

2x 7i87 (RS422 Interface to 8 Analog +-10V inputs plus 3 digital outputs)

I am not sure what you want this for, though. Why do you need 16 analogue inputs for? The vast majority of machines have none at all.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds