Light Machine Corp. Benchman XTr (retrofit)

More
26 Jul 2017 20:24 #96513 by x-Intelitek Engineer
Attached is the Nextmove comparison of the PCI2 product to the PCI version.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2017 20:47 #97128 by genixia
I'm comfortable at this point that my probe issues aren't due to the Z-Axis. That leaves software, and... other axis. I've since discovered something going on with X, and I suspect that a rail/block replacement is in my future. I already suspected that it was worn in the middle of the travel because of vibration during X rapids. Whilst trying to diagnose a face finish issue that appears as a significant tram error, I discovered that I can literally rock the table when it is mid-X travel. I haven't yet completely ruled out a head misalignment, but a lack of vertical rigidity at the table definitely isn't good.

I don't suppose you'd happen to have the manufacturer/part number for the X rails and the procedure for replacement? I can't see any way to adjust tension on the blocks.

If I had to guess, I'd say it would involve removing the side cover, removing the servo cover, disconnecting the limit switch, removing the two bolts in the underside of the table that physically limit travel, disconnecting the ballscrew pillow block from the table and sliding the table out. I can't see how the blocks could be replaced without doing that. I suspect I could replace a rail at a time by sliding the table back and forth to remove its bolts and then just sliding out the old rail and then reversing that for the new rail, relying on the second rail to hold alignment (similar to the Haas VF3 rail replacement process documented online), but I'd prefer to renew both rails and blocks if I have to go in there.

More
08 Aug 2017 06:51 #97163 by genixia
To answer some of my own questions - tonight I managed to read the markings on one of the Z-Axis rails. IKO LWE20. I also identified that the front X rail (at least) is pinned against a reference edge on the table with some kind of fastener. After 16 years it's going to be nigh impossible to slide out that rail without removing the table first.

More
08 Aug 2017 15:12 #97179 by x-Intelitek Engineer
My expertise on these machines is electrical.
I would be guessing at this point to answer your question.
You might get an answer out of Intelitek - ask for Adam Martin or Jeff Stone.

More
22 Aug 2017 00:49 #97845 by project-pegasus
I purchased a Benchman XT and a VMC 4000 a few months ago, but neither came with the PCs. I was able to find two NOS Nextmove PC cards recently but they are not LMC spec cards. I've installed them in PCs using Windows 2000 and Windows 98 but 9 times out of 10 when I open the Benchman XT software I received this message: "Could not initialize motion control board." When the software does see the card I can't get the s/w to control the machine. If I try to jog any of the axes I can hear a relay click but then get a message about "Amps not enabled." It also shows errors concerning axes' limits being reached. The front operator panel buttons do not work either; they light when depressed but nothing happens. I was able to activate the drawbar via the software last night, but I assume that was because the ATC and drawbar operate via the serial port on the PC rather than through the Nextmove card. I'm left wondering if I will be able to get these Nextmove cards to work since they did not come directly from LMC and perhaps do not have the correct firmware. The Baldor Mint software has no difficulty seeing the cards and connecting to them so I'm fairly confident that I have the right DIP switch and I/O resource settings. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

More
22 Aug 2017 16:10 #97881 by x-Intelitek Engineer
As I recall, Windows NT 4.0 was the ONLY operating system that was suitable for Benchman systems.
There are some switch settings on the Nextmove cards, but I believe they are discussed in Benchman documentation.
There are two options for the Nextmove cards, PNP or NPN inputs.
The front panel operator buttons only work when the ATC dialog box is open.

The 4000 is before my time, but is in the evolutionary history of the benchman.
If both machines are giving you the exact same problems, I would begin with the Nextmove cards.
Intelitek should be able to tell you the exact Nextmove part number and switch settings as a last resort.

Let me know if you have more specific questions

More
22 Aug 2017 18:18 #97887 by project-pegasus
Thanks for the reply. I've tracked down a copy of Windows NT on ebay and once I get it installed I will let you know how it goes.

More
29 Aug 2017 22:02 #98167 by project-pegasus
Don,
You were right about Windows NT being the only OS that works with the Benchman software. The Nextmove card initializes no problem now, but I'm getting the following error messages:

When I try to jog the table I get this error message: "Amps could not be enabled. Please try again." I also have not been able to reset the spindle. The Nextmove card I'm using is NPN and I saw in an earlier post by CNCamateur that he was able to address similar issues by doing something with the PNP modules on his Nextmove card. Any ideas what that might have been? I thought I read somewhere about the Copley amps being jumper configurable for PNP or NPN digital outputs. Has anybody hear of this?
Thanks,
Troy
Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2017 18:26 #98227 by x-Intelitek Engineer
Troy,

You will need to attack these errors one at a time.
Limits first, encoders next, then spindle.

Do you have the Benchman Manual?
If not, get it from:
www.intelitekdownloads.com/Manuals/CNC/O...ide_34-7713-0001.pdf

What is your spindle configuration (speed/toolchanger)?

What is the exact Nextmove card part number you have?

Don

More
30 Aug 2017 19:38 #98229 by x-Intelitek Engineer
Here is the Nextmove PC Manual in 2 parts
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds