Build: XZero Predator... With more teeth!

More
20 Jun 2019 14:49 #137387 by ihavenofish
Big spindle has some tool changer rack issues. I can fit 11 tools which is good, but I need the rack to move out of the way 100mm otherwise I'll loose too much travel.

So now I need to devise some sort of moving rack situation. perhaps with a flip up cover to keep it clean. Sounds like a job for the giant 3D printer that gets here in the morning! :P
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2019 16:27 #137395 by Grotius
Very nice !

If you look in the future. Your machine can maybe print some mesa cards his own.
Just to give you a idea of the different table layout's to use it for pick and place and maybe make a option for a second z axis.

More
20 Jun 2019 16:33 #137396 by ihavenofish
Neat. My machine would be so slow at that haha.

Maybe not as slow as mesa though :P

The paste alignment thing is interesting to me. I want to have a no touch tool measuring thing. the fancy laser ones cost too much, but it seems like it shouldn't be that hard to make one.

More
21 Jun 2019 17:35 #137506 by ihavenofish
3D printer arrived. let's see if i can print a control panel :)

More
21 Jun 2019 18:10 #137507 by Grotius
You are going fast....

Do you have a 3d visualisation of your control panel?

I am curious now and about your 3d printing and how you bring your project to the next level.
It sound's almost to good to be true. But i believe you so far. In my opinion, if you do nothing, it will bring you nothing, in your case it could bring you a very nice product so far, your start looks very nice !!

I do not think mesa is slow, instead, it's a very fast and intelligent system.
Maybe in theory it could even run a Ethercat protocol. I think PCW can comment about this.
But Ethernet is also very nice. To define the difference between the
2 protocol's, it's more like : How compatible is your product relating expanding i/o very, very easy.

Which protocol are you using for your Predator?

More
21 Jun 2019 18:23 - 21 Jun 2019 18:24 #137509 by ihavenofish
Haha. by slow I meant the company, not the card. sometimes it takes a while to get something from him :)

The panel viz and parts are earlier in the thread. It's pretty simple though it doesn't look it. Adafruit trellis boards for the keys, and an ipad screen for the display. It will be paired with a custom UI eventually. I'll need help on that though. My goal on that besides just a panel for me is to have an open flexible panel for all my commercial machines and everyone else. Then have a variation linuxcnc that is streamlined for it. This will be good because in 10 or 20 years time, you'll still be able to repair it, or build a new one, and keep the software current even if my company is long gone.

On the product side, it's just been given a shove. I have a small ATC spindle now for a "viable" price. Still expensive compared to chinese water cooled of course :)

The little machine will be first - I'm currently revamping it for the new spindle and to take features form the predator modifications.

Downside is I need to commit to it hard - can't do just a few at a time. I'll need help for that too... money help :P
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 18:24 by ihavenofish.

More
21 Jun 2019 18:49 - 21 Jun 2019 18:52 #137510 by Grotius
@Terence Krueger,

Haha. by slow I meant the company, not the card. sometimes it takes a while to get something from him :)
Okey, i did not realise that. My excuses for that to Mesa.

Your parent's could have named you Wernher von Braun instead. If you look at Werner. He was alway's smiling on the picture.

It will be paired with a custom UI eventually. I'll need help on that though.
Hmm. You are on ice now. :woohoo:

In about a year we can make a transfer to a QT C++ gui. Now there are different python based QT gui's. My idea is when i finished my project, to make a C++ linuxcnc gui. But i am even thinking to write independent cnc software based on GPL2.

I have a small ATC spindle

They are very good, but there are market problem's in that directory for sure. I will explain later.

I'll need help for that too... money help :P

You can attract the good and the bad investor's.
Later on this evening i post a example of a bad investor example with pictures included.

can't do just a few at a time.
You do one example first. Then upgrade. After that you can talk like a bird.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 18:52 by Grotius.

More
21 Jun 2019 19:02 - 21 Jun 2019 19:04 #137511 by ihavenofish

@terence krueger,

Your parent's could have named you Wernher von Braun instead. If you look at Werner. He was alway's smiling on the picture.

My name is Werner. My machines will go under Werner Automation. Pretend German :P

It will be paired with a custom UI eventually. I'll need help on that though.
Hmm. You are on ice now. :woohoo:

In about a year we can make a transfer to a QT C++ gui. Now there are different python based QT gui's. My idea is when i finished my project, to make a C++ linuxcnc gui. But i am even thinking to write independent cnc software based on GPL2.

Yeah, this is something i don't know enough about yet.

I have a small ATC spindle
They are very good, but there are market problem's in that directory for sure. I will explain later.

This has been a complex fight. There was no spindle available for low cost and small machines. that big teknomotor spindle i have on my machine, that was the cheapest you could buy at the time, and its 25KG, and huge and 3 phase power only. There are now smaller 80mm diam spindles from china for a reasonable price, but they are still too big for my smallest machine and have a slight mystery on quality. ATC seems to be the most wished for feature on smaller high quality machines like mine. So, I think it's time to get that done.

I'll need help for that too... money help :P
You can attract the good and the bad investor's.
Later on this evening i post a example of a bad investor example with pictures included.

Bad investors.. like on shark tank? :P I don't want an investor. I would be OK with a partner.
How bout Kickstarter?
/me runs

can't do just a few at a time.
You do one example first. Then upgrade. After that you can talk like a bird.

Technically there are about 500 examples already :)
But yes, i need my new test machine up and running and shown off to people
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 19:04 by ihavenofish.

More
21 Jun 2019 19:13 #137512 by Grotius
@Werner Automation,

But yes, i need my new test machine up and running and shown off to people
Yes.

Advise : KIS ( Keep It Simple)

If you are based on Eterhcat i/o you can sell so many i/o as you want. Including all exotic i/o's you dream off.
Lab's and Universities will order your machine because anything is in line and possible.
Welcome to the world of knowledge.

i need my new test machine up and running and shown off to people
Yes, but take your time. If it takes a year, no problem. Only provide a perfect product !!

If the product is perfect. You are off limit's for sure !!

More
21 Jun 2019 19:18 #137513 by ihavenofish
I looked into ethercat. I had beckhoff here to visit last year.

The problem with it is only one of cost right now. EK1100 (have one on my desk) plus a few IO, plus the ethercat versions of all the drives adds a good $1000US to the machine.

I also am not sure what state of reliability with ethercat linuxcnc is. Seems to be an open "project" right now.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds