7i96 Spindle Wiring

More
24 Feb 2020 17:36 #158399 by dzawacki
7i96 Spindle Wiring was created by dzawacki
I'm working on the wiring for the spindle motor for my CNC conversion and I'm at a bit of a loss on how to wire the motor to the Mesa 7i96. From what I understand, I need to wire the motor to the Encoder inputs on the Mesa card as per page 17 on the documentation for the Mesa card ( www.mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/7i96man.pdf ).

I have this motor, www.sensata.com/sites/default/files/medi...-19-bdna_drawing.pdf , which drives the engraving spindle via a belt.

Any help understanding this part of the process would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2020 18:07 #158402 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i96 Spindle Wiring
Do you have the manual for the spindle drive?

The 7I96 encoder inputs are intended to connect to a quadrature encoder
Do you have a encoder connected to your spindle?

More
24 Feb 2020 18:23 - 24 Feb 2020 18:24 #158407 by dzawacki
Replied by dzawacki on topic 7i96 Spindle Wiring
I do not currently have an encoder connected to the spindle that I know of. Would it be physically attached to the motor or would it be connected via wires or some other interface?

Currently, the spindle motor is connected to the gantry (the silver motor on the right with the belt attached to the spindle):

There is a box of electronics that came with the machine, so if it is connected in another way then I am guessing it would be in there. Is there a good rule of thumb to know what I am looking for in this case?

Also, is it safe to assume that my understanding of the encoder on the Mesa 7i96 is wrong? From my limited understanding I assumed that the Mesa card would act as an encoder. Not true?
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Feb 2020 18:24 by dzawacki. Reason: Clarification on which motor was being referenced in the photo

More
24 Feb 2020 18:36 #158408 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i96 Spindle Wiring
There is no encoder there, so spindle feedback is not possible unless an encoder was
added, _but_ this looks like an engraver or router where spindle synchronized motion
(the main reason to have a spindle encoder) is not really useful so that should not
be an issue

For the 7I96 to control the spindle (on/off and possibly speed) you would need to find
documentation on the spindle drive (the electronic circuit that connects to the spindle motor)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dzawacki

More
24 Feb 2020 18:38 #158409 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 7i96 Spindle Wiring

........... I assumed that the Mesa card would act as an encoder. Not true?

Nope, Mesa reads the encoders and sends data back to linuxcnc.
What does activate the spindle now? A switch or a relay ?
For simple on/off operation you would need to add a relay wired to one of the Mesa outputs, that in turn would power on or off the spindle. Since that is a small spindle, i see no reason to have speed control, small bits so the faster it can spin the better.
Encoder can be used to see the RPM during work and having some feedback about the load on the spindle/tool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dzawacki

More
24 Feb 2020 18:38 #158410 by dzawacki
Got it, I'll dig around in the electronics this evening to see what I can find.

I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to find the documentation, however, as nearly all information on this machine has been near impossible to find.

More
24 Feb 2020 18:43 #158411 by tommylight
Just give us some good pictures of the innards, we can help you figure it out.

More
24 Feb 2020 18:48 #158412 by dzawacki
That's easy enough!

More
25 Feb 2020 02:21 #158431 by dzawacki
As requested, I come with photos.

First, the spindle control motor in questions:

Next, the guts of the machine in an approximate recreation of the layout before I gutted it:

The front of the machine with the controls:

The motherboard:

And finally, what I believe to be the spindle controller:

and where the inputs are for it on the back of the machine:

What I cannot tell is how I would interface with it via the Mesa 7i96 card without the rest of the innards. Any and all help is immensely appreciated! If additional photos or details are needed, I'll gladly get them for you.
Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2020 11:21 #158447 by tommylight
Dang that is old, there is an Intel 386EX processor in it ! That was 1991 or 2 !
The easiest way, ditch everything, get 3 drives, even the cheap 10 $ ones will do, just avoid TB6450 something something. TB6600 will do, although 90% of claimed TB6600 on the net are not TB6600, they are TB something 109, and they are good, they can do 3 to 3.5A, so plenty for your machine. The spindle controll through an "arduino" relay for 2 to 4$ and that would be it.
Oh, and a PC with parallel port.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 1.069 seconds