7i96 Spindle Wiring

More
25 Feb 2020 22:02 #158495 by dzawacki
Replied by dzawacki on topic 7i96 Spindle Wiring
You mean a big transformer like this one!?

:D

But knowing I can control it manually is good enough for me, for now.

If I haven't mentioned it, I bought this machine for cheap to get my toes wet with CNC-ing. No sense over engineering anything until I know I can stick with it.

I'll likely order this part then this evening and pop back in once I have it in hand so I can get some guidance on the wiring.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2020 22:34 #158496 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 7i96 Spindle Wiring
Something is very wrong, i can not see anything that can handle 50A on any of the old boards. That PDF must be for something different, for sure.
Moving on, since this started to move laterally pretty fast.
www.amazon.com/Konmison-Cooled-Spindle-C...d=1582669804&sr=8-24
Can something like this work for you ?
Or can you source a different motor, DC brushed one, and old angle grinder with one part of the head removed, from an electric lawnmower etc etc ?

More
25 Feb 2020 22:48 #158497 by dzawacki
Interesting, I cannot guarantee my Google searching found the correct PDF for that motor, but it seemed close enough. I am going to hold off on buying the RC ESC until I can better track down more accurate documents.

Unfortunately, that spindle will not work because the carriage housing on the gantry is fairly unforgiving in what it can handle. The diameter of the spindle is about 25mm, and I've struggled to find a suitable option to migrate away from the spindle that came with the machine for something that is a bit more easy to setup.

More
25 Feb 2020 23:26 #158500 by tommylight
Tomorrow, must go through everything once more.

More
26 Feb 2020 02:36 - 26 Feb 2020 02:37 #158503 by dzawacki
So while I was looking for more information about the motor, it dawned on me that it might be good to look up the controller information. I snapped a photo of the sticker with the model information, seen below:

The controller box is a Suregrave/Dahlgren DSC-2000, serial number 9811063H. Not sure if this rings a bell for anyone, but thought it couldn't hurt to share.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 02:37 by dzawacki. Reason: Fixed a typo on the model number

More
26 Feb 2020 16:33 #158556 by dzawacki
Further digging for some information on the DSC-2000 Serial Controller has me hitting some dead ends. Archive.org had this page: web.archive.org/web/20001023212117/http:...grave.com/serial.htm

Aside from purchasing the RC ESC as previously mentioned, I'm at a loss here.

Any thoughts?

More
26 Feb 2020 22:09 #158574 by tommylight
Some google-foo has enlightened us with results:
sh-sjs.com/tools/download.ashx?id=13
Page 27
13A is ok, there are several types of brushless drives from 10 to 20A for reasonable prices.
Finding one that uses hal sensors, that moves the price point north a lot. Check if Mesa or Pico have something usable.

More
27 Feb 2020 16:07 #158647 by dzawacki
I think we came to the same conclusion last night. I was looking over the printout of the specs for the spindle motor and noticed that the version I had, www.sensata.com/sites/default/files/medi...-19-bdna_drawing.pdf , did not have the 50A on it.

I'm going to assume this motor is in the 12-13A range and go shopping accordingly.

Thanks for sticking with this thread Tommy! It is very much appreciated!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Feb 2020 18:06 #158657 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always.

More
27 Feb 2020 18:56 #158670 by dzawacki
I wanted to ask before I bought anything, but I assume either one of these controllers will work?
www.amazon.com/Brushless-Controller-WS55...indle/dp/B07TNRDNYW/
www.amazon.com/koulate-Stepper-Controlle...5-220/dp/B07T4GCC8H/

And at this point, I think I lost the thread so I want to confirm. The above drivers aren't encoders, correct? And if they are not encoders, then I do not connect them to the Mesa card, correct?

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds