4th Axis rotation angle limit problem

More
17 Apr 2012 13:41 #19315 by SvenH
Oh boy, I feel so close to my goal yet so inapt to folow your lead...

I understand the basic of what you say and I think that I can use stepconf to make the configuration that includes the spindle. Beyond that I get lost in the technical lingo.

Do I set up all the pins for the spindle or can I leave some out because the stepper will not use them all?

Then, how can I make it the easiest for you to help me get to the finish line?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 14:03 #19317 by andypugh
SvenH wrote:

Do I set up all the pins for the spindle or can I leave some out because the stepper will not use them all?

It's probably easiest to create an XYZA config in stepconf, including a spindle.

Then make a copy of that whold config directory, to have backup.

Then edit the HAL file to convert the A stepgen to velocity mode, and to link it to the spindle speed command, cutting out the bits that are not useful.

Then start LinuxCNC from the command line, and you will see error messages that explain what is wrong if/when it fails to start. Probably missing or miss-spelled pin names, for example. Keep fiddling till it works.

More
18 Apr 2012 09:25 #19340 by SvenH
Well, gave it a start but find myself lost... searching for answers only offers up more questions...
There is so much information that I can not make sense of it..

Is what I am trying to do so unusual that it is not standard in cnc-ing?

More
18 Apr 2012 10:44 #19346 by andypugh
SvenH wrote:

Well, gave it a start but find myself lost... searching for answers only offers up more questions...

That's OK, just ask them :-)

Zip up the config directory and post it here as an attached file if you want.

More
18 Apr 2012 11:09 #19347 by SvenH
Ok, awesome you (and maybe others) are willing to have a look!

Here is the sample config, made fresh from a working 4axis configuration, just the spindle added.

File Attachment:

File Name: config_clean.zip
File Size:6 KB
Attachments:

More
18 Apr 2012 19:44 #19360 by andypugh
I have fiddled the INI and HAL.

Now M3 S10 (for example) will start the A axis moving. M5 will (probably) stop it moving.

This _only_ allows A to work as a lathe spindle, but it ought to be possible to configure such that A acts as an axis when the "spindle" is stopped by switching modes on spindle.is-on. Let me know if you want me to try that.

File Attachment:

File Name: CNC_XYZ_A_lathe.zip
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
18 Apr 2012 20:10 #19361 by SvenH
Thanks a lot Andy!
I'll give it a spin tomorrow.

More
19 Apr 2012 09:09 #19369 by SvenH
Hi Andy,

Gave it a try, the 4th will not move but the spindle controls in axis say the "spindle" does respond.

I tried to look up if the pins are ok but could not find any reference that seemed to be incorrect to my very limited understanding :)

I noticed that on line 8 of .hal you give loadrt stepgen ctrl_type=p,p,p,v step_type=0,0,0,0 where I would expect loadrt stepgen ctrl_type=p,p,p,v step_type=0,0,0,1. (expected because of reading it, not understanding of any kind..)

More
19 Apr 2012 10:07 #19370 by andypugh
SvenH wrote:

Gave it a try, the 4th will not move but the spindle controls in axis say the "spindle" does respond.

Ah, yes. And I know why. I forgot to connect the stepgen to the parport. You need to add:
net astep <= stepgen.3.step
net adir <= stepgen.3.dir
to the HAL.

I noticed that on line 8 of .hal you give loadrt stepgen ctrl_type=p,p,p,v step_type=0,0,0,0 where I would expect loadrt stepgen ctrl_type=p,p,p,v step_type=0,0,0,1. (expected because of reading it, not understanding of any kind..)

step_type 1 is up/down, not step and direction. Is the A-axis stepper drive of a different type?

Note that you probably need to alter the [AXIS_3] scale in the INI to get the right mapping between S and actual rpm.

More
19 Apr 2012 11:27 #19372 by SvenH
Woohaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
It works!

At least with the manual commands in axis

Now lunch and then try it with a program!

Thanks a lot Andy!

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds