LinuxCnc with Copley controls-Stepnet ST3-055-04?

More
18 Sep 2012 00:50 #24344 by varun0421
I have a 3-axis stage which is driven by a Stepnet ST3-055-04. (I have attached the link below for the .pdf with the specifications of the driver.)
I wanted to know if i could make linuxcnc work with the 3-axis stage? Will it be able to interact with the stage given the specifications of the driver?
I basically plan to use the stage as a CNC machine by controlling its movements through codes generated by Pycam.
I have a separate stationary high speed spindle mounted with a tool which will help in the machining process.

I am a complete novice with linuxcnc. Please forgive me if i have not given you clear information.
Eagerly looking forward to any help i can get on this.

Link for the specification page for Stepnet ST3-055-04

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2012 06:22 #24349 by cncbasher
the short answer is yes ... Linuxcnc can drive the copley controls , you have the option of a number of ways , using the step / direction inputs or the analog 0 - 10v
the specific protocols such as can open etc are not supported .

can you give more details on the machine and are you using stepper motors or servo motors with encoders etc , we can then advise further on the options required to interface to linuxcnc
also details on your high speed spindle controller you are looking at using would be helpful

More
18 Sep 2012 09:10 #24353 by andypugh
It looks like you can configure the digital inputs to be step/dir commands, so that part looks promising.

it is odd that there is a mention of hall sensors and brushless motors when the drive doesn't have enough motor terminals to drive a brushless motor. It appears to be stepper-motor only.

More
18 Sep 2012 19:20 #24389 by varun0421
Thank you for replying so quickly.

The stage is driven by stepper motors.
The high speed spindle has a max rpm of 60,000. It currently has a collet which can hold a tool of upto 500 microns diameter.
The spindle has a separate control unit from where i manually adjust the rotation speed etc.

Below is a picture of the stage setup.

More
18 Sep 2012 22:19 #24393 by cncbasher
ok then next item to research is how many signal inputs from limit switches or relay items ( i/o ) are needed . if the number is low you may get away with just a parallell port simple break out , but if theirs a fair few for toolchangers then the options are mesa or pico products
as far as interfaces go

More
18 Sep 2012 22:38 #24394 by andypugh
cncbasher wrote:

options are mesa or pico products as far as interfaces go

There are several other supported interfaces, though they tend to be rather more expensive than Pico / Mesa unless cheap from eBay.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware

More
19 Sep 2012 00:02 #24395 by varun0421
I am sorry but i did not understand that. :unsure:
So, do i have to buy a new card? Is it because the Stepnet ST3-055-04 communicates through a RS-232 port that it cannot be used?
Is it possible to make it work using the Stepnet ST3-055-04 card? Or are we talking about two different things here.
And also i have a stepnet panel which i forgot to mention before.

The link for which is below.
This is the link for the stepnet panel

Please forgive me if my questions seem ignorant but i am completely new to this. :)

More
19 Sep 2012 00:13 #24396 by andypugh
It should be fine, but it will be most straightforward to drive either of the two devices with step/dir signals from the parallel port rather than use the RS232 or CAN interfaces.

More
19 Sep 2012 00:49 #24398 by varun0421
Do i have parallel port capability on the device?
I thought it only had rs-232 and CAN interface.

More
19 Sep 2012 09:29 #24408 by andypugh
The docs indicate that the digital inputs can be configured to be step/direction (or up/down) signals

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds